close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Night Sights on a "C" model?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by HOTHEAD, Apr 5, 2010.

1. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

Was reading in another forum that it is pretty much a real PITA to keep night sights clean on a C model. Basically, it was stated that if you shoot the gun with any regularity, the sights will become so dirty that they become useless.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

And yes I am aware that a "C" model glock will give me 3rd degree burns over 90% of my body, and permanently blind myself and anyone else within 150 yards of me, if I ever was to use it in a defensive situation. But I'm just curious about fouling the sights.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. grecco

grecco

just wipe them clean after use.
    Thats what i do.

3. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

No problem keeping the night sights clean, no problem with anything else that isn't an issue on a non-ported glock either. Only downside is cost. With factory ammo, it takes quite a bit of shooting to obscure the front sight, and even then, it comes off with a swipe of the thumb. Fine for ccw/home defense, or for professional use.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I have two different "C" models now, and I just use a Q-tip with a dab of Break-Free on it to swab it clean. I also use this BEFORE I shoot a "C" model for the first time, and with the CLP below the powder residue layer, preventing it from sticking, the fouling wipes off even easier.

I've fired 200 rounds in one outing and then checked the sight in a dark room; although the front appeared to be dimmer through the layer of crud, it was still visible before cleaning. BTW, this was with jacketed bullets; with lead bullets, or jacketed bullets that have uncovered lead bases, the fouling will build-up more quickly.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. RayB

RayB Retired Member

You bought a "C" Model? :rofl:

Just messing with you.

Some additional comments...

As was mentioned with the CLP, use of a silicone gun cloth after cleaning not only makes the gun look nice, but it acts as a dirt release for future cleanings, and the sights shine right through the silicone film.

Use of cleaner burning practice ammo makes a big difference. CCI Blazer, for example, is far cleaner burning than say, WWB or Remington. You'll notice the difference right away.

In selecting night sights, in your case, I'd go with a brand that will stand up to the gas jets, and more aggressive cleanings--like AmeriGlo or Meprolight. Trijicons are great sights, but their white markers don't stand up well to aggressive cleanings.

With a C-Model Glock, you can always drop in a non ported OEM or aftermarket barrel, to eliminate the compensation gas jets.

If your gun's, say, a 10 mm, you can also readily convert calibers to .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or 9 X 25 Dillon with as little as a drop-in conversion barrel (ported or not) and maybe some magazines.

Good shooting! :wavey:

--Ray