Night sight removel and reinstall

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by man.cave, Feb 20, 2013.

1. man.cave

man.cave

I have a set of meprolights on a g26 and want to put a different set on the g26. I was going to reinstall the removed set on another Glock. Will they still be tight to reinstall? Anybody done much of this??

2. DevilDocsGlocks

DevilDocsGlocks

Put'em on, worse thing that can happen is that you find them loose and have to buy a new set. I really like my True Glo with Tritium and day glow. Have them on both of mine.

3. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Usually the rear sights are single use... you would just have to put it on and see if they are tight. Sometimes you can slightly expand it if the sight has a compression notch.

4. JimD303

JimD303

They should be tight enough not to shift around. If necessary, you could always peen out the sides of the base a little bit to give it a little more grab. Just be careful not to damage the tubes...

5. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I've swapped sights on multiple occasions and never had an issue. It's just about as tight on the re-install than what the original was. I'll be doing it again tomorrow with a G-23 & G-26 and I don't foresee any problems.

6. man.cave

man.cave

I tried to address this in the optics section, but some reason they never post. The problem is I may have put the wrong sights on the 26. I bought meprolights 10224 and have later found out that those are wrong sights for the 26 I should have bought 10226 sights. I don't care really, they shoot good, 6 o'clock like I like just don't want to have the incorrect sights on it. I am looking to buy the sights again for another glock but just thought i would buy the correct sights for the g26 this time and just reuse the current ones. I don't understand why they state these sights are not for the 26. From what i can find. the 10224 and 10226 are both +0 6.5 (info from lonewolfdist) any more help to understand would be great.

7. GaryC

GaryC

:agree:

8. JimD303

JimD303

One is goose-necked so that the rear of the sight is flush with the rear of the slide (the G26 model) while the others which are made more for the fullsize or compact models are just the normal, standard (not goose-necked) version.

9. man.cave

man.cave

Yeah, I think i found something on Meprolight site. I had to look up the sights using the number, but the big deal is the 10226 are snag free. If that is the case i am happy with them as they are. I am still stuck with the (want to push slide with sights using one arm if SHTF). So snag free doesn't bother me. besides the frame the sights look just like Glock, but much better (steele)

10. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Years ago a friend of mine banged a set of Meprolights on his G17 then, didn't like them because of the marring on the rear sight. He bought another set and a sight pusher to gently persuade the new rear sight to go into the dovetail.

He made me a very reasonable offer to buy his first set of sights. I accepted and banged them on my G23. The marring on the rear sight matches the rest of the "character" my G23 has. The sights are still there.

Bill

11. man.cave

man.cave

good to know, I do use a sight pusher. I am thinking i want change them, if the only reason they are different is the snag free, then I am not going to touch them

12. RDC76

RDC76

if you find them to be loose after the second go around you can take a small center punch at put two small punch marks evenly spaced on both sides of the rear sight ( part of the site that contacts the groove) and this will expand the metal enough to make it tight again. dont go too hard though and if you do you can use a fine file or stone to remove some material. this works great ive done it a couple times.

good luck

Rich

13. Green Teabagger

Green Teabagger

loose = superglue

14. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Meps you will find are hollow in the middle. this allows a little springyness to it. they can be removed and put on many times as long as they were never filed o fit.

Solid base one are a little different. many of them need to be fitted. once fitted they may not fit tight. if not a little loctite 620 will solve that.