21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Team Glock or Glock website store is 90 days behind-so they say

You can always turn the rear sight around so it's only black. I have done this for some friends.

If you can afford it I would get a set.

Your gun, your call

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
One thing I do with all my Glocks is I changed the sights! It is not that I could not shoot well with the stock factory sights, I just found that I could get a quicker sight picture with a Fiber Optic set of sights. I had the Tru Glow night sights on my duty weapon for many years but I now have switched to the Tru Glow Fiber Optic sights with red front and green rear. For me, they are better than any other sights that I have used! It's trial and error until you find what works best for your needs!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I inherited a 2 Gen 17 a while back. I found I had an old fiber optic front and a dead Heinie rear sight. I blacked out the dead dot, and it’s been a great combination.

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,377 Posts
I have never been a fan of fiber optics, personally. But, I sent a G34 off to Taran Tactical 2 weeks ago. When I get it back in 6 months, it will have a fiber optic on it with a blacked out rear. We'll see how I like it

·
Registered
26,210 Posts
Team Glock or Glock website store is 90 days behind-so they say

You can always turn the rear sight around so it's only black. I have done this for some friends.

If you can afford it I would get a set.

Your gun, your call
I need to get something better than the ones that came on my G48. I like the rear sight to be a little wider.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I installed the Glock Marksman rear for the Gen5's (#39733 6.1mm) on my G48. The notch is not only wider, but deeper, too. The width of the sight base is also wider, but it doesn't hang over the dovetail cut and has about .5mm on each side. I'll get a picture up in a few.

·
Florist
19,899 Posts
G19 w: Glock NS AmeriGlo front.jpg

Here's a shamelessly gratuitous photo of my G19 with a Glock rear sight and an AmeriGlo front. The gun just got a very detailed cleaning and all springs were replaced (the striker spring was more difficult than I remembered!). A Glock Marksman barrel is ready to be dropped in. The 3 magazines' springs will be replaced tomorrow.

The in-the-box G19 has an AmeriGlo iDot setup.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well, upgraded my HiViz front pipe with a new light pipe they now offer. Can be had in red, green or white. It's a replaceable fiber optic insert that has luminous paint imbedded in the tube. Only $4.
Just a few seconds in light and it glows for around a half hour.
No 1/2 life, fragile tubes or expense.
In daylight, it's just like any FO. In dim or dark, it glows really bright.
Green is in the pics:
20201023_163343 (2).jpg
20201023_163421 (2).jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a Glock 43 I'm carrying daily. I'm thinking of ordering a night sight front sight. Will this work leaving factory white outline rear? Any particular front sight you'd reccomend?
You can buy the Night Fision front sight alone.
On my 30S I had a HiViz fiber optic front with a standard Glock goalpost rear.
I thought that combo worked well.
Good Luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have several Pistols set up with a Factory rear sight and a front Night site. I personally believe that in the dark it will be faster to worry about putting the front night sight on the target .Than trying to align 3 dots. in self defense shootings speed is important you don't want to take time to align sights it may cost you your life.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here’s a view thru my RMR using Trijicon suppressor sights I have green in front and orange in the rear, the color is slightly brighter to the eye vs the iPad camera.
1682BDC4-4C15-4BA3-B6DA-3D6890FBC53A.jpeg
E6EF8275-79E6-4EA2-9784-EDBC4C577E62.jpeg

·
NRA Life Member
63,416 Posts
Just a thought - to use your sights you have to line up the front and rear. If you can only see the front, how are you going to do that? You can't see the top edges or the air space on the sides.

That's why 3-dot night sight work by giving you 3 dots you can line up in an equally spaced straight line.

Can anybody explain how it's an advantage to NOT have a rear night sight? I only see a disadvantage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
These are my own thoughts recently on different sight setups that I've tried and thought of trying. I don't have any practical experience, training, or military experience but I can't imagine taking a shot where it would be dark enough to rely on my night sights being bright enough to see 1 or 3 dots and have the time to get a perfect sight picture. If it's dark enough I think the first rule would apply, know your target and what's beyond. Following that rule would require a weapon mounted or other tactical light of some kind.

In my testing, using the hated and frowned upon GTL 21, my front sight is just a square peg with no light. I can't imagine what it would be using one of the 500+ lumen lights.

So, when is a night sight something that is really useful and what scenario would it actually be applied? Maybe if the target is in light and you are not is the only one I'm thinking of.

So 1 dot or 3, I'm not sure it matters much in the grand scheme but again, I've never been in that position and I hope I never find myself in it either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most night time encounters are at fairly close range. If the front night sight is on the target then you are very likely to hit you target. Remember speed is important in these encounters. Your not shooting for points in a pistol match you are shooting to save your life.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts