NICS background question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by flyover, Sep 20, 2020.

1. flyover

flyover

Mods, I don't know if this is the right forum but I know it will get better coverage. If I posted wrong please move it to the proper forum.

I have a customer that when I do his background check, he goes right to "Delay" and does clear in generally 2 days. He tells me he has gone to other dealers and does not get delayed. I see no reason that he should get a delayed response when he comes to me.

Have any of you had an experience like this?

2. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

It could be any multitude of different things.

Most likely his personal identifying information is matching someone in a federal or state database which requires a more in depth check of his background.

A convicted person may have used his SSN at one time or another and he’s now flagged in the system.

3. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

If he’s got that issue repeatedly, I believe he can get a PIN to better identify himself.

Intolerant, jimcorbin and Inyo Tim like this.
  4. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

The background check doesn't change based on who the seller is. But maybe the other seller tells him to include his SSN on the 4473 which could speed the process if he has a common name. More likely "I don't have this problem at other stores" is just griping to make it seem the problem is you not him.

5. flyover

flyover

According to him it only happens when I do the check, the other shops he goes through. That's why it is puzzling me.

In Kansas, the CCL gets you through the paperwork without the background check. I mention that to him each time he is delayed. Thing of it is he did the class and has his paperwork to submit for his CCL.

He tells me he fills the paperwork out the same at both places. :dunno:

Intolerant, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  6. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I know it may be a bit inelegant to broach this subject, but here goes.

Maybe the problem isn't with him.

:rolleyes:

Ross-in-Pa, nikerret and flyover like this.
  7. flyover

flyover

Well, you might be right but why do the rest of the customers go through like greased lightening? I have him, like the rest of the customers fill out his portion of the 4473 with the information from his DL (as I was told to do so by the NICS people).

It makes no difference if I phone it in or use the LEEPS program and submit the clearance via the computer.

I had one guy that if he put his SS number down on the form, he got delayed. If he leaves it off, I talk to a supervisor and he gets approved.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If the guy is putting his SSN on, tell him not to, if he isn't, tell him to put it on.

Hard to feel sorry for a guy who could get his permit and skip the check but won't - that alone would make me suspect a problem with his background.

Ross-in-Pa, Johnix and rotorhead1026 like this.
  9. Resqu2

Resqu2

I never had a delay in my life till I got my CCW, after that I’m delayed 2 days every single time.

10. flyover

flyover

No problems in his background as far as I can tell. He just takes time to work through the system. The real tell is that I will see what happens since he has submitted the paperwork for a suppressor.

11. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I was today years old when I learned flyover has an FFL.

12. flyover

flyover

That sucks.

In Kansas the CCL serves as the background check. Fill out the paperwork, take a copy of the CCL and done. No phone calls no nothing.

Intolerant, n2g and Resqu2 like this.
  13. flyover

flyover

I got my FFL in 1981, times were simpler then. My advantage is that I am in a small rural community and I have known nearly all of my customers for a very long time.

14. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Could it be the amount of checks going through right now? Iv had two delays out of my last 5 purchases and never had one before July of this year. Also I just realized iv bought 5 guns since July I may have a problem lol.

Intolerant and flyover like this.
  15. flyover

flyover

It doesn't seem that way to me. All the rest have went through with flying colors.

Intolerant likes this.
  16. 303_enfield

303_enfield

Have him apply for a PIN. It can help him in many aspects of his life.

Intolerant and jimcorbin like this.
  17. flyover

flyover

I have been told that even with a PIN delays can still occur. In Kansas he would be better off with a CCL. The Kansas CCL serves as a background check.

Intolerant and nikerret like this.
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I had an FFL, a secret security clearance, 8 years as a police officer, and a CCW permit - still got delayed. I can trace it to a time when I was about 20 and was charged with a felony assault in a bar fight. The original paperwork had my name spelled wrong, but SSN right. The order dismissing the charge had my name spelled right, but no SSN. When the 2 met in the system, they weren't sure the charge had been dismissed, so they delayed or denied me. When I took the advice of a police officer who also got delayed or denied and stopped using my SSN, the problem disappeared.

MB-G26 and flyover like this.
  19. flyover

flyover

He is finally considering finalizing the CCL paperwork to get his license, if he decides not to go through with it I think I will tell him on the next gun, leave off his SS number. We will see what happens,

Intolerant likes this.
  20. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Iv previously discussed two friends of mine with felony diversions in kentucky both completed them and got their records expunged but one still gets delayed every time. Its odd because I thought the expungement on a dismissed felony made it go away completely. The other guy even bought a gun while on diversion and it went through. His po told him to have someone hold it till he completed it lol. I thought that was odd as technically he committed a federal felony i would think.