Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been using nickel plated brass for my full power reloads and have had great performance in all regards. The nickel plated loads were also used to distinguish the full power loads from the target (brass) loads. The problem is, finding nickel plated brass is difficult and no one seems to ever have it in stock. It’s also more expensive. Has anyone noticed a difference between nickel plated brass and regular brass for full-power-load performance in regards of accuracy, case expansion, longevity, etc.?
Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Has anyone noticed a difference between nickel plated brass and regular brass for full-power-load performance in regards of accuracy, case expansion, longevity, etc.?
Thanks.
It is my opinion that nickel plated brass is too hard for reloading of hot 10mm loads. For identical loads, brass cases appear to handle resizing after a GlockBelly(tm) where nickel seems to not recover well at all.

I would love to hear if I'm the only one with this experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I loaded some some pretty stout loads in nickel brass when I was working up some 200 gr xtp's. Up to 1300 fps. Got it from double tap to tied me over until my starling brass arrives. I expect it to not be as resilient as brass with stout loads as the nickel coating is harder and more brittle after flexing it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It is my opinion that nickel plated brass is too hard for reloading of hot 10mm loads. For identical loads, brass cases appear to handle resizing after a GlockBelly(tm) where nickel seems to not recover well at all.

I would love to hear if I'm the only one with this experience.
I prefer nickel for my carry ammo for its resistance to corrosion in the hot climate here in South Texas. For max loads I use new brass only. With the Lee bulge buster have no issues with nickel plated but expect to get fewer reloads than brass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts