close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nice linux latest release

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Washington D.C., Mar 18, 2007.

1. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

OK, I'm downloading it...

The Torrent is fairly strong right now... Still gonna take a while to download though.

IGF

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I tried the first couple of mirriors and got a really slow download.The link I posted gave a really fast download but only allows a certain number of connections.If you keep checking that mirror until you get connected,the download should be very fast.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Man, the Torrent just jumped to about 500k, then fell back to where I've been for a bit, around 180-200.

IGF

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Couple of Nice things about this DVD...

1. Ton of Apps... Seems it comes ready to go with almost all the common web browsers, mail clients, Wine, a couple games, etc I even installed Pokerstars w/ little effort..

2. Beryl is installed and setup for you almost automatically. At least it was for me with an NVidia card, ATI may be(and likely is) different.

3. Runs very well from the DVD. Excellent way to try Linux, but a long freakin download.

Some things I personally would have to work on...

1. Get Gnome set up as the default Desktop, as opposed to KDE, which makes me want to stick knives in my eyes.

2. Figure out what is wrong with Konq, it keeps crashing for some reason when I try to use it on the internet. Firefox/Opera seem to work fine however. Konq does seem to do ok when accessing the file system though, which is good. I've really never cared for Konq, and would use Nautilus(installed) or Thunar as a file manager.

3. Get my TV card to work. Shouldn't be that hard, I just don't feel like messing with it right now.

Thats about it...

DC.. One question about Installing Apps... Since this is based on Gentoo, does it use the Portage to install new apps, resolve dependancies, etc? I can't remember if its Slackware or Gentoo that uses Portage.

By the way, even if you really don't want to use it, boot the DVD and check out some of the cool wallpapers.

[​IMG]

IGF

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

To get Gnome at boot on the DVD when you se the log in screen where you must type "sabayonuser" at the bottom you will see "Session Type" and "Menu".You should be able to get a pull down menu from clicking "Session Type".You can choose KDE,Gnome and XFCE.For adding software on hard drive install there is Kuroo which is the graphical package manager in KDE for Gentoo Linux packages.This may be present in the other desktops too I'm not sure.Sabayon Linux is KDE centric.XFCE will give higher speed.The 3.3 DVD is very cutting edge with kernel 2.6.20.It may be buggy from the latest kernel.My hard drive install is the 3.26 DVD.The later 3.3 is suppose support the latest hardware and have even more wireless support.My hardware is old and I don't use wireless.Gentoo does have portage.This compiles the binary packages from source code on your machine which can take a long time with large packages.Since Sabayon includes just about anything big portage would mainly be used for updates.From a mirror the download wasn't too slow.If you can find a copy of the 3.25 DVD through a mirror or more likely a torrent now you might want to try it.It's very stable for me.During the hard drive install you are asked which desktops you would like.If you only choose one then of course it would be the default.On the lve DVD just choose Gnome when sign in the password.