15,092 Posts
:cow:

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
I watched a KC-135 land without the nose gear down at our base one day. He didn't have any problems.

We landed a BUFF with one rear main truck up and locked one day. But the other rear truck held, so no sweat. We stopped straight ahead on the runway and turned it over to maintenance. I recall that step to the ground being a long step, since all the weight was on that one rear main truck, and it had the front end of the plane sort of up in the air.

Another time we worked for about 2 hours getting all six down in a BUFF. For awhile we were concerned we might not get any down.

Thank God for a tanker that brought us fuel, and time to work with the gear. i don't think a BUFF has ever been landed with no gear down and locked. We sure didn't want to make history that night.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I guess they don't have any way to manually lower the gear???

I witnessed several gear up landings, one that was unintentional (long story), and a couple where landing gear failed on landing. Always sporty to watch.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I live about 6 miles from the Martinsburg 167th Airlift which is a major C-17 base. They are large, but not too noisy compared to the C5A's they replaced. Good luck to all that fly them.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Watched a ERB-47 land gear up on Guam. Probably ‘62 or early ‘63. It was ‘Frankenstine’ from the 55th SRW. He stopped before the foam the fire guys had put down. Bad planning. The crew told the fire guys not to foam the engines. There wasn’t really a need. No fire anywhere. The bottom of the electronic B-47s was all fiberglass. Some repairs and new glass and she flew out in a week.

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
662 Posts
I live about 6 miles from the Martinsburg 167th Airlift which is a major C-17 base. They are large, but not too noisy compared to the C5A's they replaced. Good luck to all that fly them.
Yup..we are right on the flight path about 7 miles from the same base. They don't bother us.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
I was the watch officer at the NAS Cecil Field ATC when an A-7 said he couldn't get his nose gear down. We let the squadron talk to him, they tried pulling Gs repeatedly, of course tried to drop and cycle and so forth. No joy.

So we gave him a nice straight in approach, he held his nose off as long as he could, then it fell through and he slid down the runway on the engine inlet. Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts