Nice Atkins-friendly Brunch recipe

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by GlocknSpiehl, Mar 12, 2004.

1. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

I fooled around with this last weekend as I wanted something different for breakfast and I wanted something my Wife would like too. The buttery spinach makes this very rich, though you could add a hollandaise sauce if you really wanted.

Hardware needed:
    Large/deep muffin pan, like for the jumbo muffins, sprayed with your fav no-stick spray.
    Wok or good sized sauce pan
    Frying pan

Ingredients:
    Fresh Spinach, washed and dried (Baby is best)(Can use frozen but it has to be thawed and drained thoroughly)
    Butter (sweet is best)
    Pork sausage roll (any, but I like the slightly spicy or sage)
    eggs (jumbo suggested)
    Fresh ground Black pepper
    kosher salt (optional)
    Paprika (optional)
    Atkins bread, toasted and buttered (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 F.

1. Break up pork sausage into smallish chunks into fry pan and brown over medium heat until cooked through.

2. Melt 2 or so tablespoons butter in Wok or sauce pan over medium heat.

3. Stirfry or saute spinach until wilted with a pinch of kosher salt and a little fresh ground black pepper. You can do this while browning the sausage.

4. Thoroughly drain sausage.

5. Using a slotted spoon, place spinach in bottom of muffin cup, filling it about 33%.

6. Fill next 33% with drained, browned sausage.

7. Crack open egg and place on top of mixture. You can use a whole egg or a beaten egg. I prefer whole myself. (After you do the egg, you can see if you have room for more spinach or sausage before filling next cup with spinach and sausage. Egg should be just about even with top of cup)

8. Grind a little pepper on top and place a smidge of salt, if desired.

9. Bake in oven until egg is done to your taste, about 10 mins. Egg should be similar to poached with a firm white and nice, soft yolk.

10. Remove pan from oven. Gently run a knife or something similar around the circumferance of the muffin cup and remove mixture with a large spoon or similar utensile and plate (on top of optional toast). Garnish with paprika if desired.

2. Zebulon

Zebulon

We're going to try this one in the week-end...Thanks, and never think that your contributions are a waste of time.....I'll let you know how it turns out.....Thanks again....Zebulon