close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NIBX coated glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dogman 10x, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

What can you guys tell me about these Glocks with the NIBX coating? Are these finished by Glock?

2. Dave.1

Dave.1

I'm guessing that you are looking an an EXO Glock. It's an aftermarket finish by TALO
    http://www.taloinc.com/glock.htm

They look very nice from what I've seen and they sell out fast, at least in my area.

A few months ago both my local shops had them for a very good price, G26, so I figured I'd pick one up the following week. They were all gone.

Dave

3. Seraph

Seraph

People like them because they're shiny, and highly resistant to holster wear.

4. glockman513

glockman513 CCW Instructor

I don't mind the 2 tone, but the bottom one is just too bling bling for me. If I were to own a "bling bling" gun it would be a beretta billennium.

5. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

[​IMG]

Hey, a polished turd! I like Glocks just fine, but really? Gold lettering? :rofl:

6. glockman513

glockman513 CCW Instructor

Kinda like souping up a cavalier. :rofl:

7. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Or a honda civic for that matter.

8. Frizzman

Frizzman

I just got a G27 with that finish. It is designed to resist the effects of a corrosive environment and not need the use of oil or grease to lubricate it. I live near the ocean and carry in a very corrosive environment. Also, blowing sand/dust can be a factor and the lack of need for lube reduces to build up of gritty gunk in the pistol. It also keeps oil and grease from staining my clothes when I carry close to the body and sweat on it during the hot summer conditions here...The so called "bling" look plays no role in selecting this coating. It is a rather dull light grey finish. I'm not sure what that polished finish in the photos is supposed to be.

I don't think its worth the extra cost, modest as it is, unless one is dealing with extreme environmental conditions. If not for that consideration in my case, I would have just gotten the standard Gen4. They went for the same price from the LGS where I got it. The NiBX finished pistol is a Gen3 but I had no strong preference for the 4 vs 3.

9. Dave.1

Dave.1

The bling is referring to the pic at the bottom of the link I posted. I've never seen one of those but they are a little over the top.

The Glock EXOs that I've seen look like the first pic in the link.

[​IMG]

If you search on the General Glocking Forum you'll find that they're very popular.

Dave

10. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

As far as I know the NiB-X coating is the same as EXO, just done by a different company. I've heard of a few of the NiB-X Glocks but I don't know who distributes them, EXO Glocks are done by FailZero and distributed by Talo Inc.

http://www.wmdguns.com/

11. Dave.1

Dave.1

voyager4520, do you know if these are all basically an NP3 coating?

Dave

12. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I'm no expert on finishes but NP3 appears to be Nickel Teflon, while EXO and NiB-X appear to be Nickel Boron. I have no idea what pros and cons each finish offers over the other.

From a short read through searching, it seems Nickel Boron can achieve a higher rockwell hardness rating, making it more wear resistant.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  13. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded

I just received a Sig Sauer P228 slide that I had finished in NiB-X. It seems that the NiB-X has affeceted the tolerances of the slide to frame fit. It has been difficult to reassemble and it feels very tight on the frame. I am concerned. I doubt it would have that much of an effect on Glocks.

My P228 in NiB-X. Sure does look pretty though.
    [​IMG]

14. Chowser

Chowser

I have 3 Glocks that have had the slides redone in nickel boron nitride (CCR's CP/CPII) and three HK slides redone in nickel teflon (Robar's NP3). Both are nice and hold up well, the NP3 is a little slicker making me tend to give the nickel boron people an edge because I still need to rack the slide. I can do it on the NP3 when the gun is wet, but the nickel boron is a little less slick allowing me to get a better grip on the slide.

Both clean up real easy.

I have not tried an EXO or WMD yet. It's cheaper for me to buy a new gun and send the slide out to get refinished and I haven't seen any EXOs in my area because if I am looking for a Glock, I just call my L.E. dealer, but the few stores I have been in, no one had an EXO in stock.

I am trying out Customized Creationz electroless nickel teflon on my Kahr CM9 to see how it compares to Robar's NP3 (at a third the cost I must add!!)

Maybe if I pick up a Beretta pistol, I'll send it to WMD. (None of my guns have the stock finish on them except for my shotgun and rifle, but I was planning on sending the rifle out for NP3, but ended up buying a shotgun with the money I set aside for that)

give me a minute, I'll post a quick pic of Robar NP3 vs. CCR CPII. My two EDC guns are refinished.

here's my Glock 33 in nickel boron and my HK P2000 in nickel teflon.

the NP3 is a little darker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry for the quality of the pics, i'm not a photographer.

coldblooded: i had no issues with the tolerances on any of my nickel boron or nickel teflon refinishes. my sig p239 is done in cerakote and no tolerance issues either, i'm debating getting it redone in nickel boron.
    i'm wondering if your NiB-X'd slide was left in the bath too long.

15. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded

It is possible. I am going to email WMD Guns before I take it to the range and get their opinions. I do not want to do unnecessary damage to my frame. I have two other Sigs done in CPII and have not had that issue at all. CCR does great work, but the CPII has not held up around the breech. CCR never returned my emails. It could be the Sig breech face itself that has failed, but I have no idea.

[​IMG]

16. up1911fan

up1911fan

I'd just send a Glock to Robar or CCR for a refinish if it were me.

17. ccr

ccr

Coldblood
    I never received an email about your breech face. If you wish just send us the breech block and I will replaste it for you at no charge.

18. Chowser

Chowser

here's another comparo pic.

[​IMG]

both guns have had over 1000 rounds through them after getting refinished.
    granted, different barrel lengths, different guns, but the ceraplate from CCR is holding up much better than the NP3 is.

long barrel is NP3 (HK P2000)
    shorter barrel is original Ceraplate from CCR (Glock 33).

My SIG P239 (.357) barrel just got back from CCR and is done in CPII. I've only put 100 rounds through it since I got it back and it still looks new. I'll be shooting more this weekend.

I've already promised myself that all my Glocks get sent asap to CCR as soon as I buy them. My wife put a kabosh on new gun purchases this year, but that's ok, the gen4 32 isn't out yet. I'll pick that up next year along with a Beretta Nano.

oh, ammo has been the same for the 33 and P2000. I shoot them both on the same day with the same ammo. My usual routine is to shoot two boxes of ammo through each of my guns twice a month. I work weekends every other week and that's when I bring my guns in to work to shoot. Free range. Free ammo. Why not shoot?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  19. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

I'll take mine in all black:cool:

20. awdxtc

awdxtc

I must admit I like the jeweled barrel port