·
******* country boy
191 Posts
Nice score . Congrats !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The early Glock 19 had a narrow slide lock spring that could break and if the part is left in the frame then your frame is toast. Glock came out with a wider/improved slide lock spring that you should buy and replace on your pistol. I learned about it during an armorer's class and I would suggest you get the new part.
Pardon my ignorance , but is this the part your referring to . The frame on the right is gen 3 17 . 984325DF-9FE2-4B98-9C24-4D30DE9033FE.jpeg

·
Registered
831 Posts
make sure you send it in to Glock and have them modify it, because if the frame cracks all they will do is turn it into a frankenglock with a different generation frame and it will be nothing but a shooter.
ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
No need to send it to Glock, change it out yourself.

The pic in post #22 shows it. Changing it out is a very good idea. That is the single most used spring in a Glock. Every firing compresses it 4 or 5 times each.

An old dental pic or a little tab bent into the end of a paper clip works. Slide it down next to the spring, rotate 90 degrees and pull the spring out. Easy peasy.

Cat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The early Glock 19 had a narrow slide lock spring that could break and if the part is left in the frame then your frame is toast. Glock came out with a wider/improved slide lock spring that you should buy and replace on your pistol. I learned about it during an armorer's class and I would suggest you get the new part.
I have been looking at that replacement part online 2317 glo or spo . The original was straight where inserted in the frame . These replacements have a slight curve . Would that be a problem on my gun . Brownells showed a straight one but they don’t back order anymore .

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been looking for one as well. Bought one a few years back, no box, I believe it was a police trade in, my best friend always wanted one so sold it to him cheaper then I paid for it, figured I'd find another, and I will. I enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
A G19 with no rail and no front slide serrations, like the retro G17 P80 please
It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was offered. Perhaps a whole line of retros coming out? I'm sure they'd sell all they could produce.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That is a nice score for sure. I have one of those myself. I've had it a long time and it has a lot of miles on it at my side. Not nearly so pristine looking as your example. I wouldn't take for it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
No need to send it to Glock, change it out yourself.

The pic in post #22 shows it. Changing it out is a very good idea. That is the single most used spring in a Glock. Every firing compresses it 4 or 5 times each.

An old dental pic or a little tab bent into the end of a paper clip works. Slide it down next to the spring, rotate 90 degrees and pull the spring out. Easy peasy.

Cat
it was my understanding they needed to machine a relief in the housing ??

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have been looking at that replacement part online 2317 glo or spo . The original was straight where inserted in the frame . These replacements have a slight curve . Would that be a problem on my gun . Brownells showed a straight one but they don’t back order anymore .
Nope, no problem. It'll slip right in. At least in the dozen or so that I've done.

I don't know if the factory machines a relief or not. Never heard of it before, but mine all work fine without one.

Cat

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nope, no problem. It'll slip right in. At least in the dozen or so that I've done.

I don't know if the factory machines a relief or not. Never heard of it before, but mine all work fine without one.

Cat
there was a tread somewhere that showed the machining other wise why would they have you send it in? I will try and find it.

·
M62/76
12,149 Posts
Congrats- that’s a great price on a vintage NIB piece

·
G43 Fanboy
1,667 Posts
Good advise. The original “L” shape slide lock spring came in my gen G19 (which bought brand new back in the early 90s) actually broke, though it took 15+ years to cause the metal fatigue... The replacement part that I put in the gun has been fine.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts