NIB G43X normal?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dcowboyscr, Aug 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. StraightG48

StraightG48

I just bought a G48 last Friday and saw this post. Looked and sure enough mine has it also. No big deal to me as long as it functions like a Glock is supposed to. :)

2. dcowboyscr

dcowboyscr

Talked with the buyer and referred him to these threads. We met and he looked at the tool mark and didn’t bother him. Ended up selling it for $420. Just wanted to move it as it bothers my OCD lol. Stupid I know.

boilergonzo likes this.

3. Bradd D

Bradd D

All the cosmetic imperfections on a Glock and you let that one push you over the edge. Don't get into 1911's. I have OCD and they drive me bananas.

Oh, and both of my 43X's have that "tool mark". They also have 1000 and 3000 rounds on them respectively without an issue.

dcowboyscr likes this.
  4. dcowboyscr

dcowboyscr

Funny you say that, I’ve been looking at mid to high end 1911’s recently.

5. Bradd D

Bradd D

You've been warned!

dcowboyscr likes this.
  6. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

While I agree in concept (the gun will function fine!), none of my other Glock's demonstrate this level of slop (or acceptance of slop).

If they are willing to cut cut corners with regard to attention to detail there, where else are they (literally!) "cutting corners"?

Again, I don't think it impacts function, and these guns will be perfectly reliable. So this isn't about function at all. It is about attention to detail and being willing to expend effort with regards to quality design and subsequent manufacturing quality control. Companies that lose that focus on that and slip into relaxed product standards usually live up to those lowered standards over time.

It is a sign of cost controls replacing a "quality first" focus. Glock is not alone, but if we are expecting things to improve with time, I think this shows we are in for a lot of disappointment. Short cuts in machining leaving obvious tool marks, a shift from Tenifer to an inferior treatment processes... it all adds up on the bottom line. That doesn't mean it is getting closer to "Perfection", though. In some cases, it is rejecting the costs associated with such lofty goals, and accepting something a bit cheaper that is deemed "good enough". And it is. It is good enough.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I expect that stuff on a KelTec, but when you pay so much for a Glock, I want 'Perfection'.

StraightG48 likes this.
  8. Bradd D

Bradd D

Again, with all the cosmetic imperfections on a Glock, this is the thing people get riled up about? Mind boggling.

buster55 likes this.
  9. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I agree it doesn't impact function, but imagine a BMW with orange peel or runs or debris in the paint. And stitches that are off center in the upholstery. Or parts of the carpet in the trunk that aren't cut right and don't cover it correctly. It doesn't mean the car is bad, but it does reveal the priorities (or lack thereof) of the people building it.

Is it a big deal? Nope! But when I looked at my Glock's, none exhibit tool marks like the ones being shown. The fact that they look different shows an indifference to exacting tolerances. While that may work (and work fine!) it doesn't look like Glock showed as much love to these newer Glock's as they did to the older ones.

Nobody can stand here and say "tool marks are an indicator of quality manufacturing and attention to detail".

People groan about the decline of SIG (and SIG deserves some of the angst!), but between this and gaseous nitriding Glock certainly isn't putting the same effort forth and paying the same level of attention to small details that they used to, either. No, it won't impact these guns. But if cheaper metal treatments and sloppier machining are okay now, what is the next thing they choose to save seven cents per gun to lower costs and maximize profits? Cheaper metal? Less expensive MIM? Thinner springs? Faster production with even less regard for tooling marks?

I am not worried, and if I wanted a G43 I would happily get one. But if I had a choice between a G43 with a bit tool mark and one without a tool mark, or with a minimal tool mark, I know which one I would choose!

And it isn't the BMW with the flaws in the paint job, off-center stitching in the leather! It is the one that was critically examined and passed a high level of engineering and quality inspections and was built with attention to detail and good product quality control.

In the end, Glock will deliver what their customers come to expect and demand. If people are universally happy with products with lower quality and attention to detail, we will continue to see Glock save money by providing a product that barely exceeds our minimum expectations. This isn't about Glock, it is universal. SIG, Beretta, S&W and others will do the same. Some brands will have more demanding customers. Some will accept less.

The views I frequently see indicate that as long as it fires reliably, Glock can continue to pay less attention to detail. Tool marks are happily accepted. Burs and flashing on triggers and frames are for the user to trim away. If you care for it like a blued pistol, you will never need Tenifer, so the inferior gaseous nitriding is now just fine (but, ironically this hardening was formerly the mantra of Perfection and demonstrated Glock's superiority... yet this former object of love and affection is now discarded, as Glock has fallen behind those still using Melonite liquid nitriding). All steps to save money. All fine. Still works. But these changes are uni-directional. And none are improvements over prior years.

We will get exactly what we are willing to accept as "good enough".

10. Bradd D

Bradd D

So, you're comparing a Glock to a BMW?

11. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Fair enough. A Toyota Camry or Hyundai Sonata!

12. Bradd D

Bradd D

For the poors...

IMG_3074.JPG

boilergonzo likes this.
  13. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

All of our 43X's have it.

I've never considered it a mistake, imperfection or result of a machining error.

Just simply the way Glock chose to continue and terminate the [indicated] chamfer.

[​IMG]

JDJ and Sgtthump like this.
  14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Yea, THIS looks like a 'tool mark'...that 'divot' just looks like someone went too far with the dremel....
    upload_2020-8-7_16-21-51.png

CanyonMan likes this.
  15. Bradd D

Bradd D

Yep, much ado about nothing. Wait until they take a close look at the "bevel" that Glock does at the end of the dustcover to allow clearance for the RSA ring. That'll make some heads explode.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

LOL... I have NO clue what that "divot" is there for. It is evident on all but a few it seems.
    Yeah, what you 'circled' on my ejection port side there, might be tool marks. Looks like it. They work better with imperfections and scuff marks man, don't ya know! ;)

CM
    :horse:

Doc Holliday likes this.
  17. Bradd D

Bradd D

I just looked at one of my 17's and it doesn't have that chamfer hence the reason other Glocks don't have the "divot".

HEXE9 likes this.
  18. JDJ

JDJ

A Glock is not a BMW. A Glock is more akin to a hammer than a German-engineered car, FFS. It's made to "bang", just like a hammer. That's it.

19. banger

banger

Exactly... it is a mid level mass produced industrial product.

It is produced strictly on machines.

There is none of the had fitting or attention to details.

That also explains the modest price point.

If you don't like this one.... give up. Because the next 10,000 will be exactly like it.

20. dcowboyscr

dcowboyscr

The other 14 I’ve owned I’ve been satisfied with.