Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yall, I have been after one of these since October. Near weekly calls to my closest Blue Label dealer asking for one. Never one to be found. I had given up.

I had some training up outside Charleston today. ~20 mins from the BL dealer. I figured, what the heck, let me call them, even though I don't really have the money. I was expecting another "nothing, and no clue when to expect them" but instead got "one standard and one MOS." Lock the front door, I am headed to yall!

Finally able to secure one of these. I have wanted one for so long! the gun was $430 after tax, and I got Ameriglo nite sites for it. ~$80, but had a $50 rewards discount card from the shop. My grand total for this thing was $460 out the door!

I can't wait to get some ammo thru it. I will post some photos below, and some comparison shots due to this new thicker slide.

This is my G22.3, beside the new G23.5. The thickness difference is apparent, however what is most surprising to me is I cannot hardly tell a difference in hand. and I mean that genuinely. it is not near as pronounced as I suspected it would have been.

Similarly, here is the new G23.5, beside a G37.4, which is a .45GAP. these feature the same slide with as a standard 45ACP (such as a G21) or a 10MM glock (such as a G20). Stepping up to that slide thickness, you can tell the difference. Especially from the old G22.3 to the G37, but even comparing the 23.5 to the 37. which is odd... as the new 23 is closer in width to the .45/10s than the old, thinner .40s. this new gen 5 .40 slide really seems to blend in perfectly in the middle. It is really quite handy when you hold it. I absolutely cannot wait to shoot it.

I guess the takeaway here is, if you've been on the fence about these gen 5 due to the new slide thickness, go handle one first. if you can find one! it is really hardly noticeable. The employee handed it to me, I racked the slide once, and said box her up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Over the past few years, I've grown less happy with Glocks (klunky, bad triggers, you know the drill). However, my Gen 5 G23 has succeeded in changing my mind. Been VERY happy with mine.

·
Registered
21,416 Posts
I hoping to see a 35 MOS at some point

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
So…I don’t study the specs of Glock and don’t have any Gen5’s. Why’d they make the slide wider?

·
Registered
21,416 Posts
So…I don’t study the specs of Glock and don’t have any Gen5’s. Why’d they make the slide wider?
They went back to the 2 pin design to accommodate the slide stop on both sides. So they made the slide wider to make more mass to slow the slide down so it isn't putting as much stress on the locking block (why the put the 3rd pin in before).

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Congrats on your good luck. I've been thinking about the 23 for awhile. I only have one 40cal currently and the 23 checks the power, capacity, and reasonable concealment boxes well for me.

Plus, I just enjoy owning stuff not everyone flocks to!

Reactions: Quade

·
Mr. Awesome
11,251 Posts
To me, the G23.5 fat slide looks HUGE, when looking at it, from the rear. I only have 9mm/40 GLOCKs. After nearly 20 years of looking at a skinny butt, the the G23.5 slide is like: BAM!

I did several posts and a few videos on the G23.5 in regard to modularity with other models, slide width comparison and holster issues, and how well a DPP fits on the MOS model. You can look at my started threads, if you’re interested.

Enjoy the G23.5!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nikerret, I have read your threads. I know what you mean. it sure does look bigger, but it really doesn't feel it!
I may put off mowing and load some .40 up today. looking like rain anyways.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to check if my reloads would fit in the gun. I found it near impossible to insert a fully loaded mag into the gun... with, or without one in the chamber. but even harder with one in the chamber. I went to rack the slide to cycle thru the mag, to ensure my reloads would feed, and could not rack the slide on a full mag w/ one in the chamber. it was that tight. it is not so bad if you fully load a magazine (13), chamber a round, and leave it at that.

will be interesting to see how this plays out in the field. I've all 3 magazines fully loaded w/ 13 rds setting in the safe now.

I am not sure why some glocks are like this. I recall my 27 was a little stiff seating a full mag w/ one in the pipe, and the 29 was as well. I have never encountered a 9MM that does it, and my .45 gaps do not seem to either. strangely, I have never, ever experienced this in a G22, either gen 3 or gen 4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts