Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Most mackinest
12,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1960's vintage Westernfield M550A, aka Mossberg 500. It was put into service at a police department after having its 24" turkey barrel cut down, presumably by a smith, since the cut is clean appears to function as it should.

My problem is its size. I have some pictures to explain my ramblings. When the gun is assembled, measuring from the end of the receiver to the end of the barrel, it is 17.5"...

You can see the wear line I am measuring from.

This is the same measuring line with the barrel removed:

To be continued:

·
Most mackinest
12,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is what the receiver side of the barrel looks like:

It has a short and long side.

Measuring from the long side to the end of the barrel, uninstalled, it is 19.5"

From the "short" side of the receiver end to the barrel end it is 18.5"

·
Most mackinest
12,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My question is:

Which is the legal way to determine the barrel length?

Like this, at 18.5"

Or from the end of the receiver where the barrel is exposed as indicated by the wear ring on the barrel:

17.5"

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to close the bolt, put a dowel down the barrel so it sits against the bolt, and then mark the dowel at the muzzle.

It's not like they're going to go after anybody over fractions of an inch.:whistling:

·
Paper Killer
3,065 Posts
Maybe just buy an 18inch 500 barrel and install it so there isn't any question?

·
Old Fart in training
1,071 Posts
The length is measured from the breech face to the muzzle. It's probably going to be right at 18".

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
IIRC the measurement needs to taken from the breach face. Drop a rod down the muzzle so it rests on the bolt and mark where it exits the muzzle.

Beat me to it.

·
Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
IIRC the measurement needs to taken from the breach face. Drop a rod down the muzzle so it rests on the bolt and mark where it exits the muzzle.

Beat me to it.
This.

Same way my FFL did it when he transfered a 16.000000000001" AR for me. :rofl:

·
Most mackinest
12,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe just buy an 18inch 500 barrel and install it so there isn't any question?
Because that is $85 I don't want to spend on a shotgun that was free.99

:wavey:

I used the "dowel" method, with a tape measure. Just a tad OVER 18".

Perfect.

Thanks all!

·
Deranged Deputy
14,600 Posts

Perfect.

Thanks all!

Just as long as that fraction of an inch belongs to the metal hook on the end of the tape that isn't necessarily part of the measuring device....

It's probably okay

·
Pinche ******
7,100 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to close the bolt, put a dowel down the barrel so it sits against the bolt, and then mark the dowel at the muzzle.

It's not like they're going to go after anybody over fractions of an inch.:whistling:
This is what I have always been told.

And yes: they will cornhole you over fractions of an inch.

·
Registered
34,558 Posts
You could always weld on some sort of muzzle device. I friend of mine in college showed me his dad's Browning Auto-5 where the barrel had been cut down to the mag tube and then they welded the biggest flash hider I have ever seen. That sum***** was bigger than a Pringles can.

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
That is correct, the measurement is from the face of the closed bolt to the muzzle.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
ATF, if you piss 'em off, will use a micrometer to check. I've physically witnessed this happen with a shop owner friend of mine. He pulled me in back to be a witness while it was happening.

Don't know what would have happened it if it was one micron short, but I still saw him do it.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Just don't take it out in the winter. If it's anything like my special purpose, it will shrink up when cold.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just don't take it out in the winter. If it's anything like my special purpose, it will shrink up when cold.
I see what you did theere :rofl:

8,219 Posts

Perfect.

Thanks all!

Was the streamlight also free?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts