Next Tactical Thriller to read??

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by glockdeacon, Jun 14, 2007.

1. glockdeacon

glockdeacon

I have just recently gotten into this genre. I need some more authors to look for. I like Richard Marcinko and Andy McNab so far. Any suggestions?

2. GAC

GAC

The Rain series by Barry Eisler is very good. Rain is an international assassin and does a lot of close quarters combat.

Eisler is really picky about making sure his tactical info is correct; he'll even make corrections from the hardcover to the paperback editions.

I've really enjoyed the Andy McNab books, too.

3. jacquejet

jacquejet

Ted Bell has a series of books, the Alex Hawke series. More of a tongue-in-cheek, very rich-guy version of James Bond/SAS operative. Easy reading and a little far fetched but still OK.

Dick Couch has some Navy Seal genre books out, but can be hard to find. He is Navy Captain/SEAL commander himself. Plus a book that follows a BUDS class from start to finish; The Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228. It doesn't fit your genre, but a very good read.

4. bno762

bno762

"Seal Team 7" I cant remember the author but its a good fast read with lots of action. Look it up on amazon should be able to get it shipped under $6. And you can always start Stephen Hunter's "Swagger" books. "Point of Impact", "Dirty White Boys","Havanna","Pale Horse Coming"(?), there is quite a few of them and IMO they are some of the best books for a fun and entertaining read.

5. jacquejet

jacquejet

Check out Patrick Robinson's books. All his books deal with submarines and SEALS.

6. GSD/G23

GSD/G23

Consider Stephen Hunter:"Point of Impact", "Black Light", "Time to Hunt". These books aka the Swagger series.

Vince Flynn

Robert Ludlum: Bourne series
    .....just a few ideas

7. glockdeacon

glockdeacon

Thanks for all the ideas. I went by Hastings and picked up a few used and clearence books. I got:

Marcinko- Vengeance (Red Cell was better)
    Bernard Cornwell- Sharpe's Tiger
    Stephen Hunter- Point of Impact
    Tim Green- Exact Revenge
    Chris Whitcomb- Black
    Robert Parter- Back Story

I will keep the other authors on my list to look for.

8. jacquejet

jacquejet

If you decide to read the "Richard Sharpe" series, after "Tiger" start with "Sharpe's Eagle", the first in the series. There are 3 or 4 that are prequels. Also, every now and then on PBS or BBC US you might see a video adaptation of Sharpe. They are pretty good and follow the books fairly well.

9. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Actually, I think "Sharpe's Rifles" was the first to be written. "Sharpe's Eagle" was second. I just finished "Eagle" and it definitely referred to previous events quite a bit and the first movie to be made with Sean Bean was "Rifles" (which was pretty good for a BBC flick).

I'm scouring e-bay now looking for all the Sharpe novels on the cheap. Buying them all new will cost me hundreds of dollars.

10. jacquejet

jacquejet

You are right that in sequence "Sharpe's Rifles" is before "Eagle" in timing. "Eagle" was published in 1981; "Rifles" was published in 1988.

11. GAC

GAC

I have read through postings on Cornwell's website and come across some neat book recommendations by his fans. One is the Eagle series by Simon Scarrow which may not be "tactical" but is pretty cool.

Scarrow is a big Cornwell fan and after fruitless searching for similar novels based on the Roman Army he wrote his own.

12. verdugo60

verdugo60

Brad Thor and Vince Flynne.

Both are up to date on the current war on terror, both abroad and here in the U.S. Also not afraid to bring up real issues about politics, radical islam, and other stuff. Tactical info research seems pretty good too.