Next gun? Help decide...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Kith, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Kith

Kith

Yo -

I decided this whole year i'm putting my money towards my wish-list for firearms. For the first time in a long time, i'm single, not in school, and the only thing I have to worry about on a personal level are my own interests.

In about a week i'll have around $1,200 to put toward my firearm situation.

I need a little help, opinions from others, on which way to go with it.

What I have:
    -Glock 19 w/ two 15rnd mags.

Not much. Just started putting my firearms collection together. Thing is, I can't really refer to it as a collection with just one, so time to remedy that. I have a limited amount of cleaning supply and ammo at the moment.

Ammo is being purchased regardless, and i'm going to get on a schedule of picking up at least a box every payday...so while the ammo situation personally for me sucks right at this moment, it's a temporary thing and shouldn't be factored really into the decision at hand.

Also, I have my license to carry, if that plays into the equation for any decision-making, which is why the only firearm I have thus far is a handgun.

Heres what's on the list:
    -Second G19.
    -Complete set of spare parts, double on springs, for the G19. (not including slide, barrel, or frame, just everything else.)
    -6 more 15 round mags for G19. (immediately, for total of 10 after second G19 purchase)
    -10 more 15rnd mags (sometime in the future for a total of 20, not a priority at the moment at all)
    -10 33 round magazines. (priority of about the same as the 10 extra 15 rnd mags.)

-Two G20's
    -6 more 15rnd mags (total of ten for the G20's)

-Shotgun - Mossberg 590A1

-Rifle - Colt 6920

This is basically where I want to get my firearms collection to before I go after anything else. So these are my options right now.

There's other stuff I want, accesories or different parts for some things, but right now the focus is more on getting the firearms themselves.

So I can afford:

1-The rifle, all by itself. I'll have to wait about a week to get the rest of the money together, but i'm right there on cost so might be worth the wait.

2-Second G19, and the shotgun. Some cleaning supplies, some ammo.

3-A G20, and the shotgun. Some cleaning supplies, some ammo.

4-Second G19, and 6 more mags. Spare parts for the G19's, some 33rnd mags, all cleaning supplies and whatever's left in ammo.

5-Second G19, and a G20. some cleaning supplies, some ammo.

6- Get both G20's. Some cleaning supplies, some ammo.

So what should I do? Why?

Bear in mind ammo and cleaning supplies aren't really a factor, just what i'd spend the leftover money on...

Ultimately, i've solicited opinions from all my family and friends, I wanna hear what you all think, and then i'm going to go have a chat with some awesome people at my semi-local gunshop with cash in hand.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

I'd say build the standard battery first-

1) Pistol
    2) Rifle/carbine
    3) Shotgun
    4) Rimfire

Double-up on whatever of these you'd like after the initial 4 are acquired. Buy quality also. That Colt is a good choice, same as your Glock. Perhaps a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500-series for the shotgun. And a rimfire like a Ruger 10/22 can fulfill A LOT of tasks.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Why would you get a second G19 if its your only gun?

I say get a rimfire for practice and plinking.

4. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

I say get the colt 6920 first becuse it costs more and you almost have the money then get the others since you won't have to save as much.........:supergrin:

5. Kith

Kith

From a lot of standpoints, getting the rifle next is a good choice.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/long-guns-colt-rifles/ <- Helps lean the decision towards the rifle. $1179 after shipping. probably won't find a deal this good on it for a while, or at least the odds are low.

The handgun gives me something to use for daily carry, and to keep around the house for defense. It would make sense to go to the other end of the spectrum, and get the rifle.

From another perspective, it makes a lot of sense to get the other G19, and all the stuff for it. A back up gun in case the one I carry has to be used, so i'll still have something while I wait to get it back. Or in case something breaks I'll have parts to replace and get it back up and running right away.

I like the advice above about one of each type first, which diversifies your ability right away.

The shotgun would be nice to have, i've really enjoyed using them throughout my life. Being as it's the cheapest (in cost) item on the list it can be paired up with either of the handguns. Getting a handgun and a shotgun would be more gratifying I think then two handguns.

There's a lot to consider. I'm sure i'll be happy whichever way it goes, but was just looking for peoples opinions on it.

6. RoG23

RoG23

A nice steel 1911 either commander or goverment in .45 is something you should really considering going into your collection!!

I have a glock 23 and A DW CBOB 1911, im actually putting a LMT Defender piston AR15 on order for my next purchase, and may even trade the glock 23 for something else towards my collection...

Would like to get a handgun in each of the calibers, an ar15, .308 bolt gun/or ar in .308, definitely a 590a1 with the ghost sights, and a 5" 1911.....guess everyone has there own ideas, just thought i would share my opinions on my future collection.

If I had that kinda money coming in soon I would definitely be putting it towards a 5" 1911 (baer,brown,DW,Fusion) or a 9mm SA EMP, thats just me...

good luck whatever you decide

7. jjsobba

jjsobba

My thoughts exactly. Buy the more expensive gun first. That way the wait for the next purchase after that won't be near as long!

8. maddyfish

maddyfish left this *****

Get the rifle next,then add magazines and ammo, pick up the rest later. Keep eyes open for the shotgun used, they can often be had for nothing. My $50 Win. Defender 1300 will attest to that-

9. 124JHP

124JHP

If you are locked on Glocks, get the G20. If not, give yourself a nice gift by getting a nice 1911 series 70 .45acp. Word of advice, after you get your first 1911 (being a good one) you will never be without one. I love Glocks, have a G26 and will soon get a G20 for when I am in the woods, but my 1911s are my EDC.

10. GAFinch

GAFinch

The thing about having 10 or 20 magazines for a gun is that you'll burn through some ammo really, really quickly. Reloading magazines at the range slows you down. With the G20, in particular, that'll get expensive real quick. If you ever find yourself in actual need of surplus mags, ammo, or parts, you're gonna need it for a rifle, not a handgun.

One handgun, one long gun, then expand.

11. Kith

Kith

Thanks for the opinions.

I was just down at my semi-local gunshop, and they have the colt rifle I want for less then I've found it anywhere else, and it saves me on shipping too.

I'm going to get that, it makes the most sense. Biggest cost, for the items. The rest will be easier to get because they don't cost as much. As was pointed out above, this is a huge consideration.

Finding a good price on it, and moreover it being in stock, new in box, also helps the decision.

It's also the firearm that will have the most expensive (or most altogether) done to it after I get it, so having it now encourages buying stuff for it over time. That means it gets done faster, and most of the stuff doesn't cost that much (except the optics will...hah)

I asked about G19's and they were backordered for almost 5 weeks...but i'm sure my local police supply would have one in stock if I went down there. I did get to play with a G20 for a little bit, but truth be told I'd rather have the rifle more then anything else right now.

Thanks for your opinions, I appreciate your input!

I can't wait to go pick it up...just a few days now!

-I know having a lot of mags will encourage blowing through more ammo at the range, but that's something i'm trying to accomplish with my carry gun. I'd be happier putting more rounds through it then less, and more mags lets me do that.

12. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Pistol, rifle, shotgun. Repeat as needed. Your welcome. Glad I could help.

13. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

You wont get better advice than this.

14. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I take it from your post you are still pretty young. There will be a time when you post on here" hey, which guns do I need to thin out?" Ha, believe it or not, man. Its true. Damn things accumilate like rabbits at my house.
    Pick what you want. I said pistol, rifle, shotgun, cause thats what I do. But, get a good safe before you spend lots of cash, so, well, their SAFE... Then fill it up. When you get 2 safes full, and you have more "cheap" guns in your closet than shirts, thats when youll be thinning out the herd. LOL, have fun, thats the main thing.

15. up1911fan

up1911fan

I'd get some variety before I worried about doubling up on anything.

16. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

What he said!

Get the AR then a shotgun like a Remington 870 or Mosberg 590.