Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a lot of fun shooting my first Glock (league) matches at the ISRA Range in Bonfield, IL.

At the end of 2006 I availed myself of GSSF's special pricing offer. Thinking this could be my last significant pistol purchase with Chicago Democrats having conquered the Illinois legislature, I got a Model 23.

The Model 23 is a dandy, but in firing as many rounds as I did at the match I found the snappy chambering and short length aggravated an old tendon injury in my wrist. So, I'm thinking about another Glock better suited to fun at the range. With this line of thought, I'm looking at 9mm models and will want something longer than the 23. That leaves me pondering the 17 and 34.

How about providing some insight on the Model 34? Will it limit my entry categories at other Glock matches? I know it's a fine pistol with no warts on its performance. But what do I need to know about it specifically for competition?

Or should I broaden my considerations to some other models? All comments are welcome!

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
Yes it WILL limit you.

Look at the GSSF registration sheet, it shows which models can be used in each category.

·
5,227 Posts
THE G34 is only legal in Competition and Unlimited at GSSF Outdoor Matches. It is a fine Glock and I do have one however a G17 will provide you with many more options since it is legal in AmCiv/Guardian, Competition, Master Stock, Unlimited. It is larger than the G23 and probably the most versatile Glock available.

Don

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I guess I was letting you do my legwork for me, but it helps to have an experienced view of the GSSF rules.

The matches at the ISRA Range are indoor matches, shot outdoors. I think that means the 34 would not limit my participation. But this seems like enough fun that I ought to expand my horizons and maybe head out to Milwaukee or Indianapolis and play the real game.

Just for the heck of it: How much more recoil alleviation is the 34 likely to offer over the 17?

It's not that I want to be a wuss about recoil. I didn't even notice the tendon aggravation until the next day. But it looks like shooting the Glock for fun will entail high round counts and that I'd be better off to favor that wrist.

TIA

·
5,227 Posts
I own and have shot both the G17 & G34 and shooting the same factory ammo in both I cannot see any difference in recoil. I reload and find the same with my loads that the G34 has absolutely no advantage over the G17. The G17 is a great all round Glock. Now if you were shooting at the pro level in IPSC levels where power factors was involved the G34 might provide a slight edge but for overall funn GSSF type shooting the G17 will stack up with the best of them.

Don

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There is a tennis product that you wear on your wrist that absorbs vibration. A couple of shooters I know who have had tendon problems swear by them, saying that it doesn't change felt recoil but reduces teh soreness they feel the next day by 95%.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well, I'll be the "Devil's Advocate" here...for the INDOOR Glock Matches--where you don't have to "Transition", or move from target to target, I believe that the "Longslide" guns DO have an ADVANTAGE.

Some of that advantage is in the added weight--little as it may be--in the "Front End"--the gun will tend to "Hold Steadier"--and some is in the recoil dampening effect of that added, front-biased weight.

Another advantage to the "Longslide" guns is with their longer SIGHT RADIUS--while they may not be any more ACCURATE than a Glock with a shorter slide, most people can "Point" them a little more precisely than the shorter guns with the shorter sight radius...this is especially noticeable if you have "Older Eyes"--like I do--or any type of vision problem/defect.

FWIW, since I changed from a G-17 to a G-17L--the "King" of the Longslides, IMHO--my Indoor Match scores have gone up four or five points, on average...my last four Indoor scores with the 17L were 496, 496, 498 and 500...HTH....mikey357

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
been a while but i'm thinking my last indoor score was a 498 with a 27. never could break 500 with it but i have a boat load of 498s trying to.

·
just me
8,191 Posts
you don't have to "Transition", or move from target to target FOR THE GSSF INDOOR how do they work that ?

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I've had a G34 and my G17s and I liked the G34, but I always shot my best with the G17. These are great all around guns as someone has already stated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our next indoor GSSF match will start this September. I was planning on using a G34. A previously mentioned thread stated they used a G17L in the indoor league, is this legal?:shocked:

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
you don't have to "Transition", or move from target to target FOR THE GSSF INDOOR how do they work that ?
The target moves back and forth.

You shoot at one distance.

Then, the target moves to the next distance and so on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments!

All things considered, I think I should make the 17 my next Glock.

It seems like the 34 might have some advantage in competition and maybe a little less muzzle rise. But it doesn't sound like the difference is dramatic enough to restrict myself if I venture to one of the outdoor matches.

It's all academic until I figure out how I will finance my next purchase, but I guess the 17 makes that about $100 easier too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts