Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after last years match with my G17 I switched back to a G22 so I use the same gun for work and play. Now I am considering adding another back into the mix with tax money next week. So I just traded my RTF2 G22 for a NEW gen 4 G22 and added some more mags so I G27 is attractive for same mag/ammo reasons, but a G26 would be nice also. But I keep wanting a G17 for some reason even though my G22 will do everything a G17 will do? I reload 40 so I load everything from light loads to fun loads but only use store bought for CCW and work. So here is my questions:

I am loading light 40 loads for practice and GSSF which cost me like $150/1k, should I get a G27 and share loads/mags, or get a G26 for sub and as a CCW weapon?

Or should I get a G17 and not worry about sub? I CCW my G22 now so size is irrelevant. I would have to get all new dies/powder/trimmer etc to load 9mm but it would be nice to buy store bought ammo cheaper (new 9 vs 40), but I can reload 40 cheaper then buying new 9mm.

OR should I just spend the money on more mags/supplies for the G22 and forget about sub? I could still shoot what 3 categories.

Does anyone shoot a G27 for everything? That is the toss up, with my old G26 I shot almost as well as I did with my G17, and it was funner to shoot but I havent shot a G27 to compare.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
G30 will give you a gun for Sub and MSub. If you're wanting 9mm go ahead no need to justify it to anyone here. I've had a lot more sucess with a G27 in Sub than a G26 and I'm sure I'm the exception.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G30 will give you a gun for Sub and MSub. If you're wanting 9mm go ahead no need to justify it to anyone here. I've had a lot more sucess with a G27 in Sub than a G26 and I'm sure I'm the exception.
The 29 would get me into Msub right, and not to many changes? I am leaning towards the 27, just looking for a good argument on why to get a 26?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 26 and use it to shoot subcompact cat in GSSF matches. I'm not a great shooter in GSSF, for me sub 100 seconds is a great score. Having said that, if I have a really good day and shoot a medium size match, an 80-90 second score can actually win in the amateur category. I would definitely recommend to anyone to shoot the sub category (even if it lessens my chances of winning!!)

I personally have never shot the 27, so I can't comment on differences with the 26. I will say that with your set-up, it makes financial sense to go with the 27, since you already have reload capability with the .40. Your current mags will also work in the 27, but they will stick out the bottom. Unless you just want a different caliber to shoot, and are prepared for the added expense of the new caliber, I would stay with the .40 and go with the 27.

FYI, the plus 2 bases are legal for the sub category. I see a lot of people shooting the category, but with standard 10 round mags. The plus 2 bases really help with the grip of the gun. I have noticed that the new ones don't come from Glock this way, but mine did a few years back...

Good luck, and happy shopping!!!

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
if you are looking at MSub the .45 is a lot softer to shoot and easier to load down. i use a 29 for several years but i like the .45 a lot better. i've tried 9mm several times and always went back to .40. finially a couple years ago i got a 17 that ran good, worked with light loads and have been shooting it ever since. i tried adding a 26 to make things simple with ammo and loading and just don't like the 26 for Sub, plus shooting the .40 in Sub and Msub cuts down on what i have to pack to the match.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
if you are looking at MSub the .45 is a lot softer to shoot and easier to load down. i use a 29 for several years but i like the .45 a lot better. i've tried 9mm several times and always went back to .40. finially a couple years ago i got a 17 that ran good, worked with light loads and have been shooting it ever since. i tried adding a 26 to make things simple with ammo and loading and just don't like the 26 for Sub, plus shooting the .40 in Sub and Msub cuts down on what i have to pack to the match.
Am I missing something here? Is that a typo and you meant to say .45 in Sub and MSub? Because I didn't think the .40 was allowed in MSub?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you are already set up to load .40 S&W, your reloading dies should have come with the additional 10mm sizing die (I know my RCBS did, and I think Dillon does too)

So with that in mind, you could get a G29 to shoot Sub and MSub, and just use a light load. Heck, you could even load the .40 and 10mm with the same weight projectile if you wanted, making a nice and light load for the 10mm.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
yes Ron i meant .45 not .40, one gun for two divisions. i use the g30 mags for MSub and g21 mags for Sub.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I also shoot the 27 better than the 17,19,26, even the 22. I really like the .40s&w round. I am also going to get a g35, with a .40-9mm conversion. I am going to use my 22 and 27 at the gssf match this weekend. No need for a 17, just get a .40-9 conversion with 17 mags. You can even get a .40-357 sig conversion. Thats what im doing now.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I also shoot the 27 better than the 17,19,26, even the 22. I really like the .40s&w round. I am also going to get a g35, with a .40-9mm conversion. I am going to use my 22 and 27 at the gssf match this weekend. No need for a 17, just get a .40-9 conversion with 17 mags. You can even get a .40-357 sig conversion. Thats what im doing now.
Just so you know, the .40-9MM conversion barrels are not legal for the Competition division in GSSF, it will only be legal in Master/Unlimited division.

Dan:cool:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just so you know, the .40-9MM conversion barrels are not legal for the Competition division in GSSF, it will only be legal in Master/Unlimited division.

Dan:cool:
yeah, in gssf my glocks will be stock:crying: I took the ghost rockets out, put the stock spring back in too. In idpa and uspsa they go back in. If you want a g17 get it, I would. Actually I may get a gen4 17 or 19 with my gssf:tongueout:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts