Newly adopted kitty isn't using his litter box....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by red devil, Dec 29, 2016.

1. red devil

red devil Ambassador 01

We adopted a kitty from our vet a few days ago and are having trouble getting him to use his litter box. (He did go to the bathroom.. but under the Christmas Tree and behind our TV.) We aren't new to cats. Our previous guy was with us for 16 years. He passed last Thanksgiving, and this new kitty (Hammy) really called out to my wife. Anyhow I've bee given some advice.. and here is what i'm doing now. Any other suggestions?

- Isolate him to a room with all of his stuff. Bed, water, food, litter box, etc.. Spend as much time there with him to bond with him. Keep him in the room isolated until he gains confidence..
    - Put at least 1 litter box on each floor of the home in an private area. I'm guessing private area is a corner.. or maybe camouflage it with some artificial plants ? lol

I know we aren't the only ones to have gone through this... Thanks alot!!

2. ARP

ARP

I can tell you this, I have an older cat that has been having some hitting the litter box problems. I put down a plastic sheet as sort of an apron around the litter box to catch any misfires. For cleanup, I have been using a product called Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer. The old cat has stopped peeing on the floor randomly, but still drops nuggets in the same spots. Her pooh is dry nuggets, easy pickup with a paper towel, she is 18 y/o I think. Does this on a sealed cement basement floor, I'm not concerned.

It might help to know the history of the cat, was she an outdoor cat first?

I also think you are on the right track with getting it used to using the litter box in an enclosed room. Considered putting a large box with a cut out door area over top of the litter box? A privacy box?

red devil likes this.

3. red devil

red devil Ambassador 01

The cat is about 4.5 years old. He is a bush dweller cat, and doesn't like high places. He loves his head scratched and is super affectionate. Very low energy cat and likes to be carried around. We got him from our vet and they told us he used to be an outdoor cat a few months back before the weather started turning cold. They said that one of the vets found him in her neighborhood and tried finding the owner.. but couldn't find anyone. So they brought him indoors to keep out of the cold and eventually he ended up at our vet available for adoption. He eats Purina Pro-Plan for adults and grazes mostly.. we try to limit his intake to 1/3 cup 3 times a day (total 1 cup / day) since he loves eating. We took off the privacy lid on his litter box thinking that might help.. We are using Arm & Hammer unscented litter.

I really want to help him out an get him acclimated to life here. It is our intention to keep him as an indoor cat as we have coyotes and foxes here..

Thanks a lot for your help!!

4. powernoodle

powernoodle

Consider super-cleaning the house, carpets, etc. so the smell of old kitty is reduced or gone. You might not smell it, but new kitty can. This could be a territorial thing, with new kitty trying to claim that house as his. That's almost surely what it is, in my view.

Also, make sure the litter box(es) are super clean, with non-deoderized (offends kitty's nose), high quality litter that does not offend kitty's feet. Consider also several litter boxes in various locales, so one is always nearby. Scoop as soon as you see anything, and clean the pan thoroughly with oxyclean or similar.

Play with kitty often using a fake bird on a string, etc. and wear him out. De-stress him.

red devil likes this.
  5. red devil

red devil Ambassador 01

Okay I have an update.

I switched my cat's litter setup to what he was used to at the Vet's where he spent the last three months. I was over the moon this morning to find that he used the litter box and was on target!!

I'll keep him in the room for a couple of more days then introduce him to other parts of the house again and have some more litter boxes strategically located.

I'm so happy right now... I know that he will get settled in and be a happy and healthy little guy.

Thanks everyone!

oldmick likes this.
  6. oldmick

oldmick

Well done and congrats! Thanks for adopting a stray.