close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newest Windows Update breaks Stuff

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Toyman

Toyman

This is a bug in the latest security updates that will only affect a small number of people, but a large number of developers.

Security patch KB891781 "fixed" something with DHTML Editing component (DHTML.OCX) that many 3rd party apps use for displaying and editing HTML (WYSIWYG).

So, if your HTML Editor, E-mail Program, or whatever stops working, or stops displaying HTML, this might be why.

For the technical people: "Security Update" (KB891781) just denies access to the DOM property of the IDHTMLSafe interface. IOW, us developers are screwed.

The only temporary fix is to uninstall KB891781 and turn off automatic updates.

See Also:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-013

2. Bronson7

Bronson7

I gotta tell you, I became so irritated (GRRRRR) with MS updates, SP2, etc. that I've reformated with my original XP SP1 cd and now get NO updates. I'm running AVAST and ZoneAlarm on dial-up and you no what? Everything I use now works. I've come to the conclusion that for my home computer, it's so much simpler to just re-format and re-load when I run into a serios problem than it is to spend countless hours de-bugging updates/SP2.
    Bronson7

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

All of my clients who run a system I built use SP1a and the newest Java Runtime, with Mozilla Suite for a browser and Black Ice for the broadband people who have no router installed...

If a serious Critical comes out, I DL it and send it via e-mail to everyone.

Easy as that. No one uses Auto Update except for the folks who insisted upon SP2 or who had a SP2 CD for the build...and I imagine I'll be getting a few calls here shortly about this very issue ou posted about. ;Q

4. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

lovely.

i haven't noticed any problems with dreamweaver mx, but the moment i do, i'm installing bluefish.

5. Toyman

Toyman

I wish my situation was that easy, I can't exactly do that, I've got nearly 250,000 people using my newest version with the DHTML editing component. :(