Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been asked before but does anyone out there know when Glock went to the shinier shot peened finish on the slides??? Older Guns looked like flat paint if you completely dried all the oil off of them but the ones I am talking about still looked wet even when completely dry. I aquired{didnt buy new} a G32 in late 2001 and it was the flat type finish. Every other Glock I have is the new stuff but all my pistols are 3rd gen. Is it correct to say that the new finish is more durable??? I have heard the new finish refered to as Tenifer but Glock says Tenifer is colorless. Were the old style finished guns still tenifer treated??? Thanks in advance for any info. Interesting that this change is not noted in the Ptooma book...or at least if it is I cant find it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have noticed that the finish on the recent 3rd gen guns do seem to hold up better against holster wear.I know that the tennifer has nothing to do with the black finish on the gun.I however do like the holster wear look ,it shows that my glock is loved.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info so far, it seemed to me that the newer type was more durable too. I just checked the serial numbers on all five of my Glocks and the oldest is the G32 and it dates from May 1998. It is the older type flat finish. Next two are a G27 from April 2001 and a G19 from May 2001 and both are shiny. All are 3rd gen guns. Must have happened in 99 or 2000....seems like a pretty significant change{and not that long ago} for no one to know when it happened, especially as close as Glocks are followed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like the glossier look of the newer one's. The second gen 21 that convinced me to get a .45 was present tonight. The owner of it noticed how much shinier mine was compared to his. The older one's we're a bit flatter, or lower lustre.

To each their own....some might like the flatter look, others like the semi-gloss(I'd consider it that).

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
I have the new finish on my two newest Glocks and I like it better. It feels like their is some self lubing properties to it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The only reason I wold prefer the dull finish is that it is far easier to grip and rack, especially with sweaty hands.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I like both, my 2nd gens have the flat black and the 3rd gen has the shiny black.

I understand Glock will refinish the slide for like $45? or so and it will be the more modern finish.

They must have changed for durability. The newer finishes seem tougher and are more smooth. They don't catch the little fibers from the polishing rags like the older finish did.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I only have a new 27, and I really like the finish. It holds up very nicely against my holsters, especially the FIST IWB.

·
749 Posts
I have a newer G26 and, compared to my old 2nd Gen G17, the finish on the slide seems to be thicker, shinier, and more slippery.

The newer finish looks nicer but it is much harder to grip the slide. I prefer the old finish for this reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts