close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newegg

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by doktarZues, Apr 23, 2007.

1. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

I'm putting together a new system, order a bunch of stuff from newegg. The CPU I get is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600. I place the order on Thursday night, $310

Friday afternoon I'm just kind of verifying what I ordered and go through the email order confirmation and look back at what I ordered. The price is $235. Gasp. Upon further investigation, intel dropped their prices in suit with AMD.

I currently have an inquiry to newegg cust support politely stating that I am assuming they will refund me the $75 difference since I had not yet received it, though it was already shipped so I could not cancel the order. --- I have not heard back from them yet (They don't process these over the weekend I believe), so it may still be a happy ending.

My reason for posting this, and my question to you all, is:

1. Has anyone dealt with anything similar to my situation before? Was it with Newegg, if not, what company?

2. Do I have the option of sending the package back refused and reversing the charges? (Anyone with any experience with this at all, better if similar to my situation?)

There is a 15% restocking fee on all refunds, so by the time I pay for shipping back, pay the restocking fee, I'll have saved maybe $10 and wait another week and a half or so to get my CPU.

What are your opinions? Am I entitled them refunding me the $75? Or am I a whiney cust caught in unfortunate circumstances?

I will post back what I hear from newegg. -dok

2. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

I think that you are within your rights to ask for the difference (or a reasonable discount) but I wouldn't say you are "entitled" to it. If they want to cut you some slack that's fine, but you made the deal (unless I'm reading your post incorrectly) before the price drop, and a deal is a deal. YMMV

3. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

Right on their FAQ:

# The price of an item I purchased has dropped prior to shipment. Is it possible to get a refund of the difference?

Newegg.com does not offer any price guarantee, because industry prices change too often and too fast. If your order has not shipped, you can cancel the order online and re-order to take advantage of the new prices. All prices are as posted at the time of purchase.

I would still call. I have had a few problems with Newegg and if I dont get them resolved I post about them on ResellerRatings.com - they take their ratings VERY seriously. They will ALWAYS post a phone number and person for you to call and speak to ref your problems.

Last time I got a snotty CS rep who basically told me to screw off. After my ResellerRatings.com rant I got the normal "we are sorry you had problems please call xxxxxx and speak to xxxx and we will get them resolved.

In the end they ended up paying for all the broken parts (broken PC cases), letting me keep them (I glued a couple of them back together and used them), sending replacements for free and they also sent me a check for my time (I spent 1 1/2 hours on hold total getting this problem worked out) at a rate of $35 per hour.

They screwed up and new it, they have ALWAYS made it right when I have a problem....but I do quite a bit of business with them.

4. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

I received my reply from newegg.. It goes on a bit about how quickly the market fluctuates, they do not offer any sort of price protection regards to that, and then:

"However we are willing to make a one time exception and offer the item at its current price since the order has not been delivered. Your order has been shipped out on 04/20/2007 with UPS tracking # xxxxxetc. I would like to offer $75.00 to your order # xxxxxetc once your order delivers. Once your order delivers, please reply to this email so that we can apply the credit for your order."

I've been using newegg for several years now. If you don't already know it, newegg is the industry standard: price, shipping, cust service, the very best.

Edited original: added rocks to the title
    -dok

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I've had a few issues - never had any problems after e-mailing customer support.

Though, I'd be surprised if you get them to give you the price difference in your situation.

6. stratocastor80

stratocastor80 NM FTW

newegg is this best. I have build numerous systems for clients, friends and family with parts from them. Never had a single issue.

7. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

They aren't stupid. It'd be really easy to RMA the one you got, since it can stay unopened, and just order one at the new price. If the price drops the day after you open it... ehhh... I wouldn't count on it.

So far as I can tell, as long as you never have to deal with a person directly you're fine. The two or three times I've called/emailed, I gotten very pleasant but utterly clueless morons. Got things handled, but it was far more painful than it needed to be. I wonder if that's on purpose, to discourage people from calling...

8. DiverDn

DiverDn Diver Down

I was in the purchasing department for a computer reseller for many years. Price protection "used" to be very common. It was common for a mfg to offer 90 - 120 days price protection on hardware. Now very few items are price protected.

It sounds like you handled this correctly and newegg took care of you. If they had not, I would have done the RMA and re-ordered.

I had read that the price drop was coming, so I waited to order my E6600.