close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by badongskee, Dec 23, 2006.

1. badongskee

badongskee

Hi Guys,

I would like to pursue practical shooting as a sport, to start with I would like to buy a gun, well I would say a beginner's gun? What would be an ideal beginner's gun? Does it have to be a 9mm? How about the length of the barrel? what is ideal length? is 4 or 5 inches ok? Does the length have an effect on recoil during firing? How about capacity? I have taken a look at some guns especially the Taurus guns like the PT92 and PT911? What would you recommend? are there other brands/models that you can recommend?

In terms of practical shooting what discipline should I start with IPDA or IPSC?? Are there gun clubs or groups here in the Philippines that I can join that can guide or assist me in developing my practical shooting skills.

Apologies for the long list of questions? But I would really appreciate some information.

Thanks.

Badongskee

2. vega

vega

Welcome to GT!

A really ideal gun for a beginner is a revolver, no fiddling with safeties and it eliminates the thought of "have I racked the slide or not".

Since you mentioned Taurus, then your heart is set for the semi-autos. You might want to check Glock and HS2000 (XD) as well, I can only recommend those 2 since those are the only polymers (for handgun) I have. The Glocks have a rep for really being reliable out of the box and there's an on going test which is still going strong. The bore axis is low and the trigger re-set is a lot better than the XD. Parts are available in PH and really easy to take apart.

The XDs have a lot better grip than the Glocks (IMHO). It is also reliable OTB. I believe the breach face is a lot thicker compared to Glock. If you can get a Tactical model I would recommend that over the 4 inch barrel if you really want to compete with it. You may want to check with PBD if they have extra parts to sell just in case you break a part. Magazines may not be abundant but you can always buy Beretta mags or clone and have a competent gunsmith work on it.

I don't know where you are but if you're in Manila or somewhere near you might want to hook up with the local BOGs. Those are a bunch of crazy, happy & fun group. Did I mention they also love shooting?

I believe Jasonub also gives training for a fee, you might want to send him a PM.

Yes, the lenght of the barrel affects the recoil. Can't comment on PT92 and PT911 since I've never owned Taurus pistols. I do have a Taurus revolver model 827 which is fun to shoot.

Good luck.

3. revo

revo

Welcome, amigo !

Well...how much money can you spend ?

:supergrin:

This sport does not cost as much as Formula 1 racing but you do have to spend to start.

4. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

pssst, badongskee, contact mo si royal glockster. he is selling his 9mm taurus PT92 for only 20k. Comes with 4 mags already! Look for it at the buy and sell thread. Its an excellent pistol to start you out in IPSC production division or in IDPA.

When you get your feet wet sa sport na ito, time to move on to the 1911's...

5. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

if you really want to go into practical shooting, imho these are the 2 best guns to look at :

1. glock 17

2. a 1911-type hicap in .40 or .45 cal

those 2 will qualify you in both ipsc or idpa. pili ka.

6. toxic

toxic

7. G19cPH

G19cPH

:welcome: to BOG's and merry christmas:wavey:

8. jasonub

jasonub

ill save you the time and the money by suggesting a high capacity 1911/2011. you wont regret it though it costs some big bucks. start with an armscor in 40 and shoot it a lot.

replace parts that you want to replace.

But if your loaded look for a sti high cap or a para high cap. for a para just get a frame and build it up with premium parts.

bottom line is how much are you willing to spend?

For gun clubs if your located south. lag psg is very active and have some of the greatest standard shooters out there.

up north armscor will be my choice.