close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by philford, Sep 3, 2006.

1. philford

philford Willwork4guns

where else can i find info on bikes? I want to find out the proper names for parts, maintance expectations, how to sit, shift, corner, and all the basics of riding a motorcycle. I have driven a friends gsx-r 600 around the neighborhood and felt pretty comfortable. the only real problem I had was turning. I drive a standard vehicle so the concept of shifting is not an issue, however the proper way I feel I have yet to learn...

Any advice,tips and tricks are welcome as well as if you can point me into the right direction...
    I am planing on buying a bike in the next 6-8 months and I'm leaning towards a gsx-r 600 new to possibley 2-3 years old.

2. NotAMonte86

NotAMonte86

www.msf-usa.org/

Find a local class for beginners. I took the class a few weeks ago, it was great. There you will learn the basics on cornering, shifting, etc. You won't learn the maintenance aspects there, however.

www.beginnerbikers.org
    www.beginnerandbeyond.com

Both of those sites have some good info on maintenance, gear, and you can find lists of good starter bikes. The 2nd site even has reviews on some popular 1st and 2nd bikes. Most don't recommend starting on a 600cc sportbike, but it depends on the individual. Most people I see start on a 600 are too young/immature and it will get them into trouble. Yet they tell everyone else that starting on a 600 is fine, and they will try like heck to convince you to buy something you may not be comfy with.

For the last couple years I had the idea of getting a sportbike in my mind (I was leaning toward the Ninja500), but recently got into a cruiser phase (the MSF course uses 250cc cruisers). A couple weeks ago I bought an '04 Yamaha V-Star 650, it's great! When you are ready to buy, go here: www.cycletrader.com

3. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

Definitely take an MSF course. I'm a newbie as well, and it was a great learning experience.

Also, get "Twist of the Wrist 2," "Sport Riding Techniques," and "Proficient Motorcycling" from the library.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Read the sticky posts at the top. I'd urge you to reconsider your choice of a first bike, new GSX-Rs are basically race bikes with license plates. Not an ideal platform on which to learn.

4. philford

philford Willwork4guns

thanks guys for your responses. I'll check out the links provided and I do plan on taking the msf course soon....

5. bac1023

bac1023

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

MSF training and the aforementioned books. Good luck!