Newbie to GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by iba10753, Nov 23, 2007.

1. iba10753

iba10753 Guest

I have been shooting a G23 (NIB, my first gun) at a new range in Houston for a few months now and am slowly beginning to feel like I'm getting some good results from myself and the gun. Although very friendly, the range owner is probably not the best instructor in the world and I've found myself having to pick out the best advice from the various GT forums in order to teach myself how to be proficient with the gun.

One of the things I would definitely like to do one day is participate in tactical or marksmanship matches. I would like to go to the San Antonio match as a pure spectator to see what goes on at a GSSF match. I am not a GSSF member (yet) and would like to know if this prevents me from attending the match. Because I have no intention of trying to register for competition, does it make any sense to bring my gun (in range bag) along?

If it's possible for a newbie to attend, I'm looking forward to watching the matches and trying to pick up on the collective wisdom of the crowd.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

To watch, you don't have to be a member of GSSF. Just make sure you have eye and ear protection as you need that to watch the same as to shoot. However, bring your gun along, because you'll want to shoot, trust me! The ROs are very friendly to newbies, so don't worry. If you've been shooting that G23 like you have stated, you'll do all right. The neat thing about the outdoor GSSF matches is the comraderie and the friends you make. Just like you learn things on Glocktalk, in person, you get to meet the actual people who make the posts (and new friends who don't)! You can actually sign up for GSSF membership right at the match, so if you go to observe and want to shoot, you can still join. And, I'll issue this warning: IT IS AN ADDICTION AND MAY BE HABIT FORMING! DO IT RESPONSIBLY!

3. ede

ede

go prepared to shoot the match. you can sign up there. i watched USPSA before shooting it and it's really hard to understand it from just watching, GSSF is a bit easier to understand from watching.

4. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

As the others said, bring your gun. You will be shooting by the end of the day!!!

5. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

6. iba10753

iba10753 Guest

Thanks for all the replies. I think most of my problem is the fact that I've never been to an outdoor range before - just the new indoor range I frequent now. That left me without any mental picture of how an outdoor range is laid out to allow for spectators of the various stages.

Looks like it's unanimous that I should go to the match prepared to register for matches while signing up for GSSF membership. It is only 1 week until the start of the San Antonio match so I'm not going to try and pre-register.

Again, thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

Ben

7. sailor

sailor

Ben, let me add my voice to the folks who are saying go prepared to shoot. If you let the folks know you are a new shooter the range officers will bend over backwards to help you and make you feel comfortable. Believe it or not, you will probably see folks shooting the match that have less experience than you. GSSF is really set up to help new shooters get going in shooting competitions. Go have fun, maybe win one of the random prizes and surely make some new friends.

Mike

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Look at the pictures in Pensacola debriefing in this forum.

They will give you a good Idea of what it will look like.

Note that the people seem to be having a good time.

Check your Private messages.

Unless you stick your toe in you can't get wet.

9. iba10753

iba10753 Guest

Well, that took less than a half-day to convince me! My travel and range bags are already packed. Wish me luck 'cause I'm sure gonna need it! <g>

Ben

10. malladus

malladus Glock Whore

Ben, which part of Houston are you in? I'm out on the westside of town by American Shooting centers. Got a friend coming in town Thursday to go to SA with me and my father-in-law. Me and my friend were going to hit the ASC Friday and get in a little last minute practice before the match. If you wanted you could maybe hook up with us. They've got some plate racks at ASC to practice on as well which is about the only thing you can't really work on in doors in Houston that you'd run ino at a GSSF match.

Drop me a PM if you interested and we can work out the details.

Robert

11. SCC

SCC just me

ben i'm new to the game to and 6 years after that !! i have just won a 2 year membership and 50.00 dollars cash you will love it and start slow !! if you do just watch them some are real fast at the game so don't just watch get up your gear and go shoot you will be back for more and in time you will get up to speed and let us know how you like it when you get back thank you scc

12. sailor

sailor

Ben, did you go shoot? How did things go? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike

13. iba10753

iba10753 Guest

Yes, I went and signed up for Amateur Civilian (first) and then decided to also sign up for Competition so that I could get some more experience. Both divisions were shot with my G23 since that's my only gun so far.

I scored around 320 for my AmCiv division. Two major problems kept getting in the way. First, I stink at front sight focus! The guys from Carver Mounts tried their best to help me but I think my problems quickly overwhelmed them. Pete told me what he thought I was doing and I'm convinced that he was absolutely correct. Thinking back after each disappointing stage, I knew that my last focus was on the target rather than the front sight. All I can say is that I've got a renewed commitment to getting it right.

My other problem is vision. Having to use the reading glass inserts on my shooting glasses, I just can't see much more than a blur past about 30 feet. I tried to change my left-eye-closed approach to both-eyes-open during the last 2 practice sessions I had at the range but just couldn't make it work. In any case, there is (in my opinion) just too much difference between my contacts (for far vision) and that reading glass insert (for clear focus on the sights). I'm pretty frustrated about it right now - to the point that I really don't know what I'm going to do. It's tough trying to get a good look at the 45', 60', and 75' targets....and having a hard time discerning them from the background brownish color of the scrub brush growing on the berms.

Anyway, I was really hoping that I could improve on my Saturday score when I showed up for the Comp division on Sunday. No joy. I shot around 480 on Sunday. Most of the time was lost with Glock the Plates. I got off to a bad start and just kept getting worse.

I admit that I'm pretty hard on myself with regard to getting better scores. I did have a lot of fun and met some good folks - all of whom were more than helpful. I was pretty frustrated when I finished on Sunday and drove back to Houston in a lousy funk. I've got to get a handle on my vision setup. At the same time, I've got to stop making the target the last thing I focus on as I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
    Ben

14. gpsdiesel

gpsdiesel Senior Member

For what it worth, here is what I did with those pesky reading inserts.
    I went to my eye doc and got a perscription as follows.
    On my right eye, I have the script for focus on my front sight.
    On my left eye, I have the script for distance.
    There are no inserts, just two different lenses. Now it take about 15-20 minutes of wearing them to get your brain to adjust, but you get used to it after a while. No more lifting my head up/down trying to find the front sight.

Yes, my doctor is Glock friendly. He let me bring in my G17 at the end of his day and did the exam with the exact length from eye to sight.

I believe B Carver has some sticky thread on tips that covers this better than my brief explaination here, so check it out.

Relax, enjoy, and take your time. You can't miss fast enough. slow/smooth=fast.

15. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Don't worry about your first score at your first match. My first match was the Indy match of 2004. I had a 301.84 in AM. Civ and a 258.85 in Sub Compact. In those days, they had the Lewis system and categories or A, B and C. I placed 8th place in the C division and that overshadowed what I thought was a bad performance. In fact, I didn't feel bad at all. The important thing was, I had loads and loads of fun and met neat people. I eventually got on a team and that's fun. I kept coming back. Don't be hard on yourself, just watch that front sight like the guys from Carver Mounts suggested. They ought to know, look at their scores! Keep coming back and I hope to see you at a match. I don't get far out to the western matches, but I do most of the midwest ones. Keep coming back and I guarantee you'll drop that score down considerably. If I can do it, anyone can, so enjoy the ride, meet new friends and have fun, and the shooting will take care of itself.

16. iba10753

iba10753 Guest

I re-read my post-match message and it sure sounds like I spent more time feeling sorry for myself than declaring how much fun I had. That was not really what I meant to do. I *did* have a great time on Saturday, at the Saturday evening meal, and on Sunday morning.

It is a fact that I have to work on my particular vision challenge. However, an even more evident fact is that I have to learn to focus-focus-focus on the front sight all the way through the firing sequence.

I spent a couple of hours today at the range. I brought my glasses with the reading glass insert, optically perfect shooting glasses with no insert, and my regular reading glasses that I carry with me at work. I tried to shoot with both eyes open for over 45 minutes and, honestly, it got to where I thought I was on the verge of dangerous. Without the reading glass insert, of course, I can't get good focus on the front sight at all - it's a hazy blur with no definition at all. With the reading glass insert and both eyes open, I inevitably ended up seeing double targets (side-by-side) when I would focus on the front sight and almost always found myself about to shoot a good 2 feet to the left of the real target line.

At the end of a couple hours, I am resigned to the fact that, with the existing vision challenge, I'm going to be a one-eyed shooter. I also believe that I need to go to my eye doctor for a perfect prescription that will get me perfect focus on the front sight in the right lens of a good pair of shooting glasses. The left lens would just be non-prescription.

Anyway, if I weren't a little tough on myself I wouldn't care about these challenges and I'd just give up and continue training for purely self-defense scenarios. However, I don't give up that easy and I really like trying to figure these things out and get the best possible result I can. I think I've about come to a solid conclusion with regard to my vision - one that I can live with.

Now, the last hour was spent working on the front sight focus problem. I can't thank Pete (with the Carver Mount team) enough for telling me his opinion in a way that made perfect sense to me. I took my time with the last 60 rounds and shot 42 rounds into a 5.5" Shoot-n-see target while leaving 18 of the rounds outside that circle. One third of those shots were from 15' and 40 of the shots were from 21'. I felt very strong about those results at the end of a very tough range session. I know I've got to work on the longer distances but I'm going to have to go to an outdoor range to do so. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks,
    Ben

17. malladus

malladus Glock Whore

Hey Ben,

The offer still stands if you want to head down Katy way to shoot outside at ASC. I'm allowed two guests a month and would be more then happy to take you so you can avoid the fees. You can practice 7. 10, 15, 25 and plate racks if you like. Let me know.

Malladus