newbie shopping for g23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by max427, Feb 7, 2010.

1. max427

max427

Hey guys, I bought a house about 6 months ago and have been looking for something for home defense. After a lot of research the reliability of a glock is too impressive to pass up. Anyway, originally i was looking into a G19 but after checking around the G23 seems like the best of the G19 with some added stopping power. Is there any noticeable difference in recoil between the 9mm and .40 glocks? And finally- do you guys recommend buying a used glock or am i better off just getting a brand new gun for the extra money? Thanks!

2. ironman23

ironman23 Member

Shotgun is better for home defense. If you hit your target it doesn't really matter if its 9mm or .40. I have both and like both.

3. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I have a G19 and G23. While there's more obvious felt recoil with the G23...I've found the complaints of "excessive .40s&w rcoil" to be exaggerated. IMO, the G23 is quite shootable. While my G19 gets the most range time...the G23 has become my primary HD pistol.

In spite of all that is said about shotguns for HD...I find a handgun to be much more accessible from a secure location, easier to move with from room to room, and clearly more functional in an 'arms length" encounter with an intruder.

4. DB9

DB9

I debated between the 19 & 23 for awhile. I ended up going with the 23, just for that little bit extra. Also a deciding factor, is that I can convert it to 9mm and .357sig, something that cannot be done with a 19.
    There is a little more recoil with the .40, but I feel that it's often exagerated on the internet.

Here's a short clip of the .40 vs. 9mm recoil with a 40-9 conversion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CnuvLTP8lU

Not much difference, but you can see a little more muzzle flip with the .40.
    My grip is more stable with the 9mm, whereas you can see me readjusting my thumb position after every shot with the .40.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

Look around and see if you can find 9mm Luger ammo and .40sw ammo. I can find .40 here, 9mm is harder to come by and I haven't seen a box of 9mm hollow points for a while. I can get just about anything in .40sw flavor in my area. I bet you wouldn't have trouble finding 12 guage 00 buckshot.

It has more kick than 9mm, but not much. At first it'll seem like more kick, but once you get some range time with it and lock your wrist while shooting, it's like a 9mm with a little more kick.

You'd probably be better off getting a new one unless you can find a deal. I paid $569 for mine new without night sights, which is the most I'd pay. I've seen them for $520 and if you're military, LE, or first responder you can get a blue label G23 for a little over $400 new. If I found a used one that looked brand new, the most I'd pay for it is $450(it would have to look pretty much brand new and come with everything it came with new). If it looked decently used(a little holster wear) the most I'd pay is $400, if it looked darn well used I wouldn't even bother with it unless it was $325 or less.

If you want night sights, it's best to get a G23 that already has them installed. Last time I checked they(all Glocks as far as I know) come from the factory with plastic fixed sights, metal fixed sights(pretty rare), adjustable plastic sights, Glock Night Sights($50 more), Trijicons($~90 more), or Meprolights(~$70 more). The first three sight sets I listed have a sight picture of a "dot inside a big 'U'", the night sights all have a "three dot" sight picture.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. DRGNSLR

DRGNSLR

max427:

I have both, and I prefer the G23 over the G19. Yes, the .40 has a bit more "snap" but it is not uncontrollable. If you've ever shot a .45 you can handle the G23. WFIW, my wife prefers the G19 because of the lessened recoil.

As for "stopping power" I again would prefer the G23. I shoot plates a lot and at my range I knock 'em down the 9mm. With the .40, the plates rebound so much from the impact that they bounce back into place about 75-80% of the time (15yds). On the "sticky" plates the 9mm won't drop them, you can hear/see the round hit the plate but it won't fall. If I hit a "sticky" plate with the G23, it drops and stays down

Suggestion: find a range that rents handgusns and try both before you buy. Or, one or more buddies with both types may be cheaper than renting. Good luck.

7. cciman

cciman

Either are great Glocks to start off a collection with:cool:. Not too much difference in shooting either.

Used Glocks are fine, there are plenty of references on the web on how to dismantle and replace parts-- EZ to do. Mags are plentiful (and interchageable in these models 19/23)

Glock customer service is great. I've bought 4 Glocks used, 2 had to go back to Glock for cracked frames, which they covered for free.

Reliability is above average, with some exceptions in ammo.

8. Girevik61

Girevik61

Cracked frames ? I would say that is extremely rare.

9. den888

den888

There is noticeable difference between .40 and 9mm. The .40 is "snappier". The G23 is a great gun (I have one) and you can convert it easily to shoot 9mm (by buying a conversion barrel and G19 magazine). By doing this, you have a lot of versatility.

10. BobKat

BobKat

+1 :wavey: This works great for me.

11. J3Colt

J3Colt Glock-Off

I keep a G23 bedside to get to my Mossberg 590 if it's required.

IMO, the G23 takes more practice to get proficient with compared to my G17, but not that much more.

12. max427

max427

thanks guys, yeah i think i'll try and find somewhere to shoot em both. If i like it enough i'll probably see if i can order one online and pick it up at a dealer, seems like thats the cheapest way to go. now to price out a tac light :)

13. GeorgeBurdell

GeorgeBurdell

I bought a G23 for the same reasons you sited. Like a 19 but w/ "more stopping power." After shooting for a few months, I've found I can shoot the 23 well, but I can shoot the 19 even better. That's just me. So I'm considering a conversion to 9. The biggest mistake I made was only shooting each gun 1 time before purchasing - and I didn't take my wife. She's MUCH more comfortable with the 19.

So rent them both and see which you like better. Also - consider this: After you buy your first Glock, you'll want another. Dunno why. Glocks are like potato chips in that 1 is never enough! A logical next step would be a G26 if you choose a 19 or a G27 if you choose the 23. So try those as well. You may find that you like the 9mm (or 40) better.

I hope this helps. In any case, you can't really make a bad choice. Both the G19 and G23 are excellent. Good luck!

14. Paul_J

Paul_J

Here's the good news, no matter which one you buy you have made a great choice! I have a 23 but the 19 is a great pistol.

Edit: So is the 32 in .357sig

15. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

im a newbie too so my advice doesnt hold up like many of these guys....

but you will be fine with the recoil, just buy 180gr, it just feels better for me but try both.

Then get the lonewolf conversion for the 9mm and youll save some money learning how to shoot it.

Youll LOVE the G23....trust me. Great first time gun. Its my first and i love the thing....

16. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

What i did, i went used, got an offduty police trade for 399.99. Cops tend to clean the hell out of there guns and keep them nice.

Just look for a clean one and youll be fine. Check the thing out before hand make sure it feels right.

17. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

I love my 23 and the difference in the 19s kick vs. the 23s kick is not that big. Like it was stated above see what ammo is available in your area. Its not fun to have a gun you cant find ammo for. Good luck on your search for your Glock.

18. max427

max427

is .40 hard to come by in some areas? i live in philly so i dont think i'll have any trouble, if the criminals here can get automatic weapons and hollow point ammo i can't see it being harder for me to get .40 cal ammo legally haha.. what are your thoughts on built in tac lights? Are they very bulky? im used to lugging around a 15 pound air impact gun at work so a little extra weight shouldnt be to hard to deal with

19. voyager4520

voyager4520

In my area, SE Colorado, .40 is the only thing that's almost consistently been on the shelves through the whole recent ammo shortage. There've only been a few times when it hasn't been in stock. With 9mm and .45 I've rarely seen either and when I have it's been cheap quality FMJs or the rare very-over-priced hollow points at the gun shows.

That's one of the reasons I like .40. It's popular enough to consistently be on the shelves but not so popular that you can't find it.

Don't know about the Philly area though.

20. LEAD

LEAD

There is definately more felt recoil with the 40cal, but its certainly doable. Another thing to think about is that 40 glocks can have malfunctions easier than 9mms because of the increased need of stabilization in order to ensure proper cycling in the 23 because of the recoil characteristics. In short a person would find it easier to shoot a 9mm glock than a 40 as limpwristing will more easily cause problems in the 40cal glocks.

I own a 23, and I like it. I have a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags to shoot 9mm out of the 23 when Im feeling cheap.