Newbie screw up?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kickitsimple, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Kickitsimple

Kickitsimple

Ahhh, well this is a little embarrassing but i guess ill post up. While cleaning my g19 after getting back from the range, i was lubing up the slide and in my haste put the slide back on the gun without the barrel and recoil spring (i know, i know. im an idiot. lesson learned!) and immediately realized i screwed up. the trigger had reset and i was not able to pull back on the slide to attempt to field strip again. so i lined up the slide and frame flush and pulled the trigger and then was able to take the slide off. I know, im an idiot and this will never happen again that is for sure. My question is... did i screw anything up?

Another question. What happens if you field strip with an empty mag in the gun? I know you are not supposed to, but i have done it a few times. is there something specific that can get screwed up by taking the slide off with an empty mag?

Thanks guys, im def a newbie for sure and need to know if i am screwing things up already, lol

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

Somebody tries this experiment every other day or so. You removed it correctly. No problem. Field stripping with an empty mag is not a problem but is probably a bad habit because it might not always be empty.

3. AcenJay

AcenJay

You did the right thing in the first paragraph to get it back off by pulling the trigger, it happens.

In the second, the only thing that it might do is abrade the magazine follower. Gotta remember to eject that magazine before field stripping. That's one of the steps to make sure that the gun is unloaded before field stripping. Eject magazine, check chamber.

4. Kickitsimple

Kickitsimple

^ thank you!!!! i couldn't believe i did it, but good to know.

5. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

6. Kickitsimple

Kickitsimple

right on, i feel much better about it now. i dont remember pushing the trigger forward however, i think it just reset itself. nonetheless, i appreciate the help gents!

7. viniglock

viniglock

Not to worry it happens!:whistling:

8. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

No troubles, stuff like this happens when we're distracted or not focused.