close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by buaiteoir, Jan 5, 2007.

1. buaiteoir

buaiteoir

I have never participated in GSSF or any competition for that matter. Steel plates sounds like fun. Are the competitions and prizes going to be the same this year? Is the GSSF actually run by Glock? How come there is no link from their website? Do you have to shoot both days? Can you? Do they handout prizes both days? How many bullets are needed? I read somewhere that 80 rounds minimum but bring 150. However it kinda sounded like you need 150 per course. Is that times 3 courses? If so then do they really mind if you shoot reloads (too expensive to buy 450 rounds!).

2. weakeyes

weakeyes

The extra rounds are to use if you miss the steel in the courses.I shoot reloads, but if you have a malfuction you probably won't get a reshoot unless you are using factory ammo. You can enter several different classes,you can shoot all in one day or spread it out over two days.
    Glock has people at the shoots to put the scores in the comp.The scores are posted on the internet,If you win cash or a Glock you will recieve a check or a certificate for a Glock pistol by mail,but you will know where you placed and what you won by going to the Glock sport shooting foundation web site,also you can see when and where matches are held,the courses of fire,rules,and general how to and what to do.There will be three courses of fire for each division you enter, five to Glock,Glock M,and plates,you shoot four runs of six plates,three runs on five to Glock and three runs on Glock M all your times are added together, plus seconds added on for misses and/or penaltys which gives your final score for that division.
    You must shoot a stock Glock in all classes except unlimited. Go to the web site and you will get most all you need to know.

Bill B

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

go to www.gssfonline.com you'd need 81 rounds at least to finish a match if i added right. the extra rounds would be for making up misses on steel and barny bullets. i load mags before a match so i don't have to deal with it at the match so i have 10 mags, plus a stripper mag, and i have 3 extra for any reshoots i might have to do for each class i shoot, plus i usually bring a extra box or two of ammo for any side match or pratice plates they might have.

4. weakeyes

weakeyes

Hey EDE, I get 81 rounds also. I gotta ask. What is barney bullets.
    scuse my ignorance.
    Off subject, but do you know some good varmint hunting web sites. the prairie dogs are taking me over, they are moving out of the grass land into the cotton fields. How anyone could think the little bast***s could be endangered is beyond me. They are going to take Texas before our south of the border friends can.

Have you shot in the shark pool yet?? I haven't,but I sure would like to go to the Vegas shoot.

Bill B.

5. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Hello Bill and Ed! I trust that your holidays where good to you both. Come on in.....the water is great!
    Bill, are you planning to shoot the mingus match? Don and I will be there.

Dan:cool:

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

bill i'm suprised you never heard of the barney bullet, named after the world famous TV cop barney fife. it's a extra round for FTFs or whatever might come up and to make up misses on the steel. on the 5TG you can load 11 rounds but only fire 10, but if you have a misfeed you have the barney bullet to allow you to finish the stage. same with the plates you can have 10 in the mag but you can have 1 in the chamber for 11 rounds. better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

as for the varmit web sites i doubt we've ever had a prairie dog here in jackson county but we do have some big ground hogs, not within rifle range of my house but we do have them. sorry i don't know of any sites but i'm sure there must be several out there in cyber space. i've just decided to sell off my .243 that's taken it's share of ground hogs to fund a few other projects. i still have a .220 swift and .223 for varmits.

7. weakeyes

weakeyes

ede,I always called it one up the spout. I like the barney bullet better.Did you reload for your 243? I am using a .243 want to work up a load with Sierra 55 gr.
    buaiteoir, sorry I hijacked your thread. If you have any other GSSF questions come back in we will try to answer. The GSSF rules and regs are a bit confusing at first. You can look at the entry form and see what Glock you can use in the different divisions. It doesn't cost a lot to start, and the shoots are pretty laid back. You can get all the help you need from RO's and shooters.

Bill B

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i used 75gr HPs in the .243 loaded with imr 4895 for 3200 fps. i'd have to dig out my log book but i'm thinking it was 38.0 grains of powder i used CCI primers. i think at one point i did load some 60 gr. sierra HPs but it was a long time ago. after i got the .220 i got deep into shooting it and a .223 savage and let the .243 stay in the safe. i've had this rifle since the late 70s but i just don't shot it, or any rifles all that much in the last 10 years. not that it makes sense but i'm wanting a heavy .308 and a RR AR, STI 1911, and a 10/22 so i'm selling off a few glocks and the .243 to fund the new projects.

9. weakeyes

weakeyes

Hey Dan,Good holidays here, hope you and Don and yours had the same. Mingus is just a couple of hundred miles from here, and I sure am planning to make it. Hope to get a good visit and some tips on an unlimited gun from ya ll and Bobby C. I will probably be there on Sat.
    I shot early last year,and the poppers on M were so stiff I had to double tap a couple. Did you have any problems with them? I heard they re calibrated later in the morning.Didn't matter much I shot like a clod that day. Haven't heard much out of Don is he laying behind the log being quite.

Bill B.

10. weakeyes

weakeyes

Thanks Ede, I have a 1911 STI Trojan 9mm I do love that pistol.

Bill B.

11. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Bill
    Don and I couldn't make it last year due to Don having contractor problems with his home repair. Don was up north in Ohio for the hoildays and he had limited internet access, but his back now.

Dan:cool:

12. kyjack45

kyjack45

Another reason for bringing some extra ammo is that you are allowed a reshoot if you have a malfunction with a Amateur category gun (factory original parts) and any brand of factory ammunition. I think this is limited to once per stage (or up to 4 times on the steel plates). You can clear the jam and continue, but the range officers should give you the option of reshooting before they announce your time and score the targets.

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa