Newbie Question.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by latham44, Mar 18, 2007.

1. latham44

latham44 Saint Boondock

I was curious.......if I replace my stock sights on my Glock with one of the various "night sights", will that alter any chances of me ever shooting in a GSSF match? I've tried to read through the rules, but I need it explained in "laymans" terms. I'm new to Glocks, but my goal is to get accustomed to it for this year, and hopefully by next year I can shoot in a match or two.

Right now I have a G23 and I am planning on a 34 or 35 this winter. What recomendations do you suggest BEFORE going into a GSSF match (i.e. holster, amount of clips, any upgrades(if allowed), amount of ammo to take?)

If I find a "local" match, do they allow you to show up as a spectator to see what's really involved or is it for GSSF members only?

Sorry for the long post, but this has me really interested as something I want to try.

2. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Your night sights will be all right, no problem.

You don't need a holster to compete as we don't draw from a holster but from an "elbow at your ribs" start.

You may watch anytime you like without being a member. But, if you see the fun and the competition, you'll want to jump right in and participate.

Your G23 can be used for any of the events (excetp sub compact or major sub)ass a stock pistol. If you have a G34 or G35 you can only use it in two categories, Am. Competion category or Unlimited.

Once you see the fun involved, you'll keep coming back for more. Plus, you meet so many neat friends from all over the 50 states and that's priceless.

3. latham44

latham44 Saint Boondock

Thank you for the reply. I noticed you're from Columbus.....do you have any particular events in your neck of the woods that are coming up & spectator friendly? I live in Lima and it would be an easy trip (1.5 hrs to downtown) to come and watch one.

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Go to http://gssfonline.com/regforms/matchschedule.htm for a match schedule. I don't know where Lima is, but there are several matches well within driving distance, like Marietta, Ohio, Indianapolis, Topton, PA., and Lexington, Ky.

Two of us are driving to Ft. Benning, Georgia in a few days for a match! :)

DON'T wait for a year to start shooting a GSSF match, you'll only be loosing a years worth of experience! GSSF matches are designed for new shooters, there is no movement, drawing from a holster, or reloading during a string of fire, but it's still quite challenging.

Like glockess said, your G23 will do the job for most of the matches, but the longslide guns are limited to use in two matches that are difficult to win anything in.

I normally suggest that a G17 is the one you'll want for GSSF, it's easier to shoot well than your G23 is, and the ammo is cheaper to buy and load, which means more practice for the same money.

You'll need eye and ear protection (even to watch), and you should have at least four magazines so you don't have to reload a magazine while you're on the firing line.

Most of the matches require between 81 and 107 rounds to complete them.....the actual number depends on how well you shoot. :)

Go to http://gssfonline.com/regforms/new_comp_brief.pdf for the new competitor briefing both now and you may want to see it again just before you head to the range, they're likely to ask if you've seen it.

If you plan to visit Minnesota this spring, let me know, I'll take you to the range and run ya through it!

:patriot:

5. latham44

latham44 Saint Boondock

I've never been on a forum that offers this much help. I visit 2 Glock forums regularly and they both have great people who are always willing to help. Thank you:thumbsup: