GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I surfed the web for 2 months in addition to buying 3 manuals before I hit the forums. Please do your homework. I have no problem with you asking the question. Hoefully you learned more than just what size primer you need. Please be careful.

·
Registered
34,814 Posts
Really? Get 3 books before I even price out the components? Before I even entertain the thought of reloading vs. buying manufactured ammo??? I NEED TO READ 3 BOOKS ON RELOADING BEFORE I ASK A QUESTION ABOUT PRIMERS?!?!?!?

I know reloading can be dangerous but should researching it be so dangerous?
Ok, maybe one book. Really, before I think of doing anything, reloading windsurfing, building a chickEn coop, working on my car, whatever, I go buy a book or read a bunch of stuff on the net. Maybe if you prefaced your question w/ " I am thinking of reloading & want to price components to see if it's worth it". Something like that will get you further than sounding like a guy that has no clue about what he is doing. "Looking to load" sounds a lot like you already got gear & are trying to shortcut your learning curve. So some of us like to get newbs to STOP & actually research before putting bullets over primers. It may just save you an eye or a hand.:upeyes:
I see there are "big pistol" and "small pistol" primers.
I'm looking to load for both .40 S&W and 9mm for my G23 so would it be big or small?

·
Sorting nuts
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, maybe one book. Really, before I think of doing anything, reloadingm windsurfing, building a chicekn coop, whatever, I go buy a book or read a bunch of stuff on the net. Maybe if you prefaced your question w/ " I am thinking of reloading & want to price components to see if it's worth it". Something like that will get you further than sounding like a guy that has no clue about what he is doing. "Looking to load" sounds a lot like you already got gear & are trying to shortcut your learning curve. So some of us like to get newbs to STOP & actually research before putting bullets over primers. It may just save you an eye or a hand.:upeyes:
You read a book on it before even thinking about doing it?
I have to wonder, what got you to read the book in the first place?

Usually I get the idea of doing something first, and then I read up, research, ask questions, etc. etc.

I wouldn't go playing with combustible anything without proper research and advice. I'm sorry if my question gave the wrong impression. Perhaps some should not have jumped to a conclusion though?

For those who feel such questions are beneath you to answer but not ridicule here's one more.

What makes the primer stick to the brass?:tongueout:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Usually I get the idea of doing something first, and then I read up, research, ask questions, etc. etc.
That seems completely reasonable to me.
And therein lies the problem..What happened this time?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Because you are new to the whole reloading thing you may not understand. SOME people will try to reload by searching the net and trolling for a "good load". As you learn all that goes into making a "good load" you will realise that this is very dangerous to do. The guys here try to steer people on to the right track. Give them a chance and check out one of the many book mentioned in the stickys, like Lyman or ABC's of reloading and it will be easier to understand, both us and you. Reloading is alot of fun. If you like to shoot it will help you shoot more and spend less. It also can help you enjoy your hobby when the weather will not allow you to get out and shoot. You can taylor loads for the gun or the purpouse at hand. Light target loads, super accurate competition loads, or full power hunting loads. It is all up to you.

·
Sorting nuts
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
That seems completely reasonable to me.
And therein lies the problem..What happened this time?
What do you mean? I asked a question? That is allowed under my "pre-doing" stage isn't it?

·
Registered
481 Posts
That sequence is a good plan.

·
Registered
481 Posts
A little more info might be helpful to help you calculate a practical estimate for your needs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Where I live ammunition is expensive...really expensive. $25 plus for cheap target .40 ammo expensive and come Feb of 2011 buying online will not be allowed so I'm looking at other alternatives to foster my hobby.
Hey with that much stress you got nothin but sympathy from me. How can you afford Not to handload?

·
Protective G'pa
949 Posts

I'm looking to load for both .40 S&W and 9mm for my G23 so would it be big or small?

Thanks
Having read the entire thread. :) Rather than asking a specific question about primers, you will get much better responses by asking "I am thinking about getting into reloading. What do I need to know? What is nice to know? What should I avoid?"

Some people here have been reloading since the ICE AGE :supergrin:

Some are fairly new to reloading.

But all of us dealt with the potentially dangerous learning curve involved in reloading. Some powders are very forgiving. Some cartridges are very forgiving. Some powders and cartridges have VERY tight tolerances, VERY tight.

You need to read several different books that deal with reloading because each one explains things differently. After you have read the books then it is appropriate to come online to the Reloading Forum to ask questions to clarify what confuses you or fails to make sense because the books seem to contradict each other. We are more than happy to assist, BUT you need at the very least a basic understanding of the process and parts for our advice to make sense.

·
Registered
34,814 Posts
You read a book on it before even thinking about doing it?
I have to wonder, what got you to read the book in the first place?

I wouldn't go playing with combustible anything without proper research and advice. I'm sorry if my question gave the wrong impression. Perhaps some should not have jumped to a conclusion though?

For those who feel such questions are beneath you to answer but not ridicule here's one more.

You crack me up. You stated you were thinking of reloading. Well, when I think of doing something, I research it first. Personaly, I do not want to go on any site & ask a question that is so easily researched. Pick up any reloading book & it will not only tell you what size primer to use, but most of the brands available. AS to your question; it's a press fit, just like the bullet. When pressures are too high for too long, the primer pocket (little thing the primer goes into) will stretch & that case is no longer safe to reload.
You need to read several different books that deal with reloading because each one explains things differently. After you have read the books then it is appropriate to come online to the Reloading Forum to ask questions to clarify what confuses you or fails to make sense because the books seem to contradict each other. We are more than happy to assist, BUT you need at the very least a basic understanding of the process and parts for our advice to make sense.
Good point, but the question asked completely tells anyone that has even read a book, not mention actually reloaded, which cases use qhich primers. A question about small primers in 45acp would be a good question for a newb as it may not be available in common ref mat'l. but which primer for this or that, dude, pick up a book! There are no dumb questions, but if you want to be taken seriously, you must present your question the same way.
You know, my kids used to ask me to spell words for them. I finally started making them look them up. Why? Because you remember far more when you read it, even more when you write it down.

·
Registered
909 Posts
thinking about doing it?
Primer glue. But you can use super glue in a pinch.:tongueout:

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
What do you mean? I asked a question? That is allowed under my "pre-doing" stage isn't it?
Now you just want to argue. Supposedly you asked the question for cost purposes. They are all the same cost so what was the real reason for asking the question? Maybe you didn't know they are all the same cost. Either way you didn't research things one bit, asked a really basic question and now are trying to turn it into something it's not. A price search. Yeah, right.:rofl:

·
Sorting nuts
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Now you just want to argue. Supposedly you asked the question for cost purposes. They are all the same cost so what was the real reason for asking the question? Maybe you didn't know they are all the same cost. Either way you didn't research things one bit, asked a really basic question and now are trying to turn it into something it's not. A price search. Yeah, right.:rofl:
Let me help you out here.

Research:
"The search for knowledge or any systematic investigation to establish facts."

I believe asking questions falls under this does it not?

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
Asking a question IS NOT RESEARCH.

Research is actual going out and looking for a answer. Not getting things spoon fed to you by people who paid their dues.

www.google.com

Even that would have answered your question.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
He said "big pistol" ...sorry, this just made me laugh.

Buy yourself the book ABC's of reloading. Read it cover to cover. Buy a couple of other manufacturer's manuals, read them cover to cover. Then come back and read your original post. You'll chuckle, I guarantee it.

·
Sorting nuts
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Hey with that much stress you got nothin but sympathy from me. How can you afford Not to handload?
Well, I don't shoot that much to begin with so my overall cost isn't that high. I'd say no more than 1,500 rounds a year on average. A part of me also wants to do it for fun as well as not succumbing to or rather working around an imposed law such as this. If I go the handloading rout I would keep it cheap and simple. Probably find a recipie for a softer load and stick with it (with that little shooting I wouldn't have that much of a need to play around with it all that much). From what I've read the .40 is at a pretty high pressure to begin with so If I err I would err on the side of caution.

·
Sorting nuts
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
He said "big pistol" ...sorry, this just made me laugh.

Buy yourself the book ABC's of reloading. Read it cover to cover. Buy a couple of other manufacturer's manuals, read them cover to cover. Then come back and read your original post. You'll chuckle, I guarantee it.

I probably will. Midway had these categories on their web site though.

Large Pistol, Small Pistol, Large Rifle, Small Rifle, etc..

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...tegoryId=17587&categoryString=9315***17585***

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
what I've read the .40 is at a pretty high pressure to begin with so If I err I would err on the side of caution.
Lets make a brief list of pistol calibers that are HIGHER pressure then the .40S&W

9mm, 38 Super, 9x21mm, .357 SIG, .357 MAG, 10mm, 41 MAG and every other large bore MAG caliber.

Lets make a brief list of calibers with less pressure then .40S&W

45 ACP (1905), .38 Special (1902), .380 Auto (1908), 45 GAP (it's nearly the same as the 40S&W)

So if we go back to 1908 (every common caliber after the .380) you will find that nearly every caliber made is more pressure then the .40S&W. Only exception is the 45GAP (and it's almost the same). Yep, that .40S&W is a really high pressure round. It's way more pressure then the things we invented 100 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are still interested in calculating your cost pm me I have an excel program that was made by somebody on this site or another Glock site (can't remember just who at the moment but would give them their props if I did) called SLUG (Simple Little Utility for Gloscksters) that has real of useful calculators for cost, pay off, conversions and energy.

I won't weigh in on your question or the way you asked your question or who is guilty of 'tude. Even though this is only my second post, I check this board daily and can tell you I have learned a wealth of information just absorbing the reply's from these guys. I currently only reload for the 9mm but enjoy hearing about other calibers and information about equipment and components I don't have as well. Generally speaking, it appears everybody that reply's on this site are willing to help.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts