Newbie question: burning music CD's

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by The Pontificator, Aug 17, 2004.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

My CD burner program (MusicMatch Jukebox) offers burn speeds from 1x all the way up to 52x.

I just burned my first CD (congratulate me!) at 8x.

What are the advantages and disadvantages at burning CD's at a higher or lower speed?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN! :(

;f ;f ;f

2. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

I'm no expert but I think it has something to do with what is called buffer underrun... Your CD Burner can write at high speeds, and your Hard Drive can hold tons of data, but the buffer where data is stored that is waiting to be written, can't keep up with the requests and it runs dry.
    This generates errors and can halt the burn process.
    Or at least that is my understanding of what is going on.

Edited to add link.
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/cdrwin/winbufu.html

3. srhoades

srhoades

I don't think they sell drives anymore that do not support buffer underun protection. So burn as fast as the software will allow. That being said it is still possible to coaster a disc if you use cheap media or don't have sufficient RAM and are running tons of applications when you try and burn.

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

:)

I use them for target practice.

5. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

If your discs are rated for a higher speed, and you arnet doing much with your computer while burning, by all means, burn at a higher speed.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Surprisingly, the most important aspect hasn't been touched on yet, so I will relate it to you...

The slower burn speeds obviously take longer, but the data they 'burn' is much more durable, at least when written to quality media. The disks you can get a spindle of 100 for $9.00 don't usually qualify.

It has been determined that data burned into media at full 52X speeds lasts anywhere from a third to as much as half as long as slowly burned CD-R's.

If archiving or data insurance is an issue, I will use no more than 8X speeds when burning.

To define this technology as simply as I can, the clear substrate just under the CD-R's label turns opaque when heated (a CD-RW uses a substrate layer that does the same but when it is heated by a more powerful laser over a certain threshold, will revert to a clear state again).

So, due to the fact that the laser has more access time at a given location, it can heat the substrate to slightly higher temps and the resulting binary representation of your data will therefore be much more pronounced when burned at lower speeds.

Best regards,

FastVFR

7. sigman69

sigman69

so let me get this straight as i have burned music cds but they dont last....and start to skip...so what do you recommend for cd-r's and what speed of cd-r?

Thanks

8. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

I'm not doubting you or anything but I'd really like some more info to read up on if you have links or references.