close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newbie on reloading for Glock 23/40 cal

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by saddleman, Jan 30, 2010.

1. saddleman

saddleman

I read something (see exerpt below) and the Lyman manual also has a similar statement on the 40 ca page, somewhere that shooting reloads from a gun with a barrel that is not fully supported "like Glock" is not recommended. Any thoughts on this, I have both 9mm and 40ca? I know people reload ammo for Glocks right?? Of course I didn't read this until after I bought a square deal to reload 40ca for my 27 and my 23.
    Thanks in advance.
    Melissa

"WARNING: This data is intended for use in
    firearms with barrels which fully support the
    cartridge in the chamber. Use of this data in
    firearms which do not fully support the cartridge
    may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, case
    head separation, or other condition which may
    result in damage to the firearm and/or result in
    injury or death of the shooter and/or bystanders.
    Check with your firearm manufacturer if in doubt.

2. n2extrm

n2extrm

Welcome to the forum

I do not reload for the .40 and will leave details for those that do. I do know many who load .40 in Glock with no problems so don't be too woried about the "legal disclaimer". Use caution and don't run maxed loads and super fast powder and you will be fine. Pay atention to details and work up loads safely.

Again welcome!

3. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

FEMALE ALERT! FEMALE ALERT!

Attention all posters... Attention all posters... We have a female present on the forum!

Everyone give a big GT welcome to our new member, Melissa, she is inquiring about loading for her... wait a minute... what's this... her screen name is Saddleman... a clear indication of a lurking husband or boyfriend.

Everyone stand down, false alarm. Be helpful and gracious as normal in helping with her inquiries. C4W and bob2223, both of you watch your language, you know how you can be.

Welcome to the forum Melissa... good choice on your loading press.

I'm depressed... where's the satellite remote? :crying:

Jack

5. saddleman

saddleman

Thanks for the welcome and all the (good) advice. Saddleman is not lurking in the background, he is most likely in the shop putting powder in shells with a shovel, he can't wait to play with is new toys.

6. NC-G27

NC-G27

:rofl:That's funny... Don't care who you are, that's funny!

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I like Hodgdons Longshot powder for the 40 S&W. Faster and with less chamber pressure than just about any others. For medium to hot loads and works well with heavier bullets.
    Go to Hodgdons web site for load data.
    The Glock 3d Gen has about as much support as most other 40 S&W barrels but the chamber is a little looser than some others.
    Also I have tried Winchester Auto Comp for 165gr bullets in the 40 S&W and am very happy with the results..

8. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

I also have had great success with LongShot powder in my 40 S&W loads. No problem for me with reloads in Glock 40's.

9. PBKing

PBKing

Welcome
    Lots of good choices for the .40sw. And you're only a couple hundred away from converting to a 26 and 19...Gotta Love Glock

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Saddleman (Melissa), Welcome to GT's reloading forum. There's a wealth of info available from all the participants on this forum, so ask away anytime you like.

Personally, I have just begun reloading the 40S&W, having stayed primarily in the 9mm and 45acp worlds for pistol. I, too, was concerned with the reputation the 40S&W has for KB's, whether justified or not. From what I've read, as long as you are not trying to obtain maximum loads out of this caliber you should not have any problems. If your G23 & G27 are Gen3 production, there is plenty of chamber support for your cases. My understanding is that the Gen1 Glocks were the ones that were having problems.

If you perform a search for 40S&W case bulge, I'm sure you'll find images of the "Glock bulge". It is probably not specific to Glocks, but the word on the street has assigned it as so.

If you do come across some grossly bulged cases, I'd toss them. There's plenty of available brass that won't be bulged that you wouldn't have to worry with those misfit cases.

"...putting powder in shells with a shovel". :rofl: Now, that's an image that one can't quickly forget.

11. saddleman

saddleman

Thanks. We do love glock. My better half has a 26, 27 and 19, and I have a 27, 23 and Springfield XD 9 mm. I just need to practice with the 23 more.

12. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about the chamber issue if you have a newer model Glocker 40.
    Glock added more support in the recent years and it hasn't been an issue for many, including myself. I also load on a SDB in .40 and 9. Keep the loads moderate for the most part for practice, plinking and if loading competition Major PF rounds use a medium to slow burner for powder and you'll be alright.

I load 180g MG FMJ with WST for my G23 and used them also in my now departed G27.

13. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

I have shot well over 20 K worth of reloads in my 40's in the last coupe of years alone.
    mostly power pistol and win 231 with some wsf thrown in for fun.

Just don't load to max pressure. Stick with medium powders to start with and have fun.

14. Chuckc

Chuckc

I have had good 40 S&W performance- accuracy and ~990 ft/sec velocity in my G23 from a load using 6.5 gr of Unique behind a 165 gr JHP from Montana Bullet Co.
    I'm sure you can go "hotter", but I like this load for accuracy etc. FWIW I have been using PMC "Green" primers with good success. They seem to work well with both Unique in the 40 and( Beye in 9mm).
    I have also tried Wolf "Orange box" small pistol primers and find that they work OK in the 9mm with Beye powder, but are erratic with the slower burning Unique in the 40.
    Good luck on reloading. Take care and you shouldn't have any problems.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

You will fit in just fine around here. :rofl: