Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JAREDG21, Apr 16, 2007.

1. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

OKAY I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO FLY FIXED WINGS AND HELICOPTERS. MY REASONS ARE TWO FOLD. ONE REASON IS THAT I AM A BOAT CAPTIAN BY TRADE AND AM STARTING TO MOVE UP INTO SUPER YACHTS THIS IS A VERY COMPEDATIVE AND VERY LUCRATIVE SO ANY EXTRA SKILLS ON MY RESUME HELP. THE OTHER IS THAT I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO IT. I ALSO NEED ADVICE ON APPROACHING MY MOTHER WITH THE SUBJECT. BEFORE YOU START CALLING ME A MOMMA'S BOY, MY UNCLE DIED SHORTLY AFTER GETTING HIS PILOT'S LISCENCE IN 1985. SHE EVEN MADE MY STEP FATHER PROMISE TO STOP FLYING BEFORE THEY GOT MARRIED. SO WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT TO SPEND AND WHAT RATINGS SHOULD I GO AFTER? LAST BUT NOT LEAST WHAT TO SAY TO MOM?

2. c6601a

c6601a

Stay away from aviation. If you can not master the use of a computer keyboard, you will never be able to master flying. You will just get yourself killed and increase our insurance premiums in the process.

3. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

Have I insulted you in some way?

4. Beeg

Beeg Guest

The best way to find out how much money is to call one of the flight schools in your area and ask them. They'll need to know if you just want a type of ticket (Sport, Private, Commercial, ATP) you're after and if you want extra ratings. A private fixed-wing should run about $5,000 to $6,000. I'm pretty sure just a private helicopter rating will run around $25,000 to $30,000. That may be for a commercial. You'll have to ask your local school.

As for you mom, you're on your own. You can throw safety statistics at her but it sounds like that won't matter. Better yet, if you're still living at home and haven't cut the apron strings, don't tell her.
    Have you told your mom every and all the things you've done? :animlol:
    I'm assuming you're pretty young. Yes, we all love our mothers and don't want to concern them but you have to get on with your life and make your own decisions. This is paramount in piloting aircraft. YOU are the captain of the ship and YOU have to make the calls.

5. IslandHopper

IslandHopper Guest

I think he was concerned about all the caps.
    Who cares ?

To start... go find a small airport in your area... find the local "flight school" there, and ask for an intro ride in their trainer. Any operation worth your $ will let you manipulate the controlls during this flight. Find out if you think you'll enjoy it or not.

As for your mom... it's an emotional thing for her, she won't approach it logically, so there's probably not much you can do to change the way she feels. That doesn't mean you can't find a "nice" way to tell her that you're a big boy, and you need to do this whether she approves of it or not. :)

Now, find a small flight school (maybe the same on, maybe not) and go as far as Solo flight. If you still like it, then get your Private License.
    Based on how you indicated you want to use this skill, you should skip the "Recreational Pilot" training and just go straight to the Private license. (Do this in fixed-wing first... it's WAY cheaper.)

Now, by that time you'll have spent enough time talking to other pilots that you'll have a pretty good idea of how to progress from there.

6. c6601a

c6601a

I am pointing out that you typed the whole message in caps. You are either not aware that that is considered rude, did not notice, do not care, or were unable to figure out how to change it. Each of those reasons points to an attitude or an aptitude that is totally incompatible with flying.

After an accident, the most common phrase you hear is "I am shocked that he of all people would be involved in an accident." That is pure BS and points to the person's low power of observation rather than anything about the deceased pilot. If you dig deeper into the deceased pilot's background and start looking for subtle clues, in a majority of cases you can find deep seated attitudes that make the person more likely than not to have the accident. Anyone can fly, but not everyone ought to.

7. IslandHopper

IslandHopper Guest

WOW!

SOMEONE IS SURE WOUND KINDA TIGHT!!

8. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

Wow, what a guy?

c6601a, please enlighten us as to your flying credentials and experience.

Your last few posts have really piqued my interest...

Please share your experience with us mere mortals. I am sure we all have something to learn from you:upeyes:

Regale us with tales of your daring do "slipping the surly bonds of earth"...you certainly have the "surly" part down pat.

Cut the young boat Captain some slack and do us all a favor and throttle back on the attitude.:thumbsup:

9. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

Agreeing with others before my post, I suggest first acquiring a private pilot rating airplane single engine land. This allows you to build some flight time at a much lower cost than helicopters. If you seriously wish to fly helicopters, from there, work toward your helicopter ratings private, instrument, and commercial. As for cost, the figures mentioned above are accurate.

10. c6601a

c6601a

I occationally consult with the NTSB in fatal accident involving GA aircraft. Seeing all the raw data and the raw carnage gives me a bit more insight into fatal accidents than reading the sanatized reports. The common thread in every accident I have consulted on is pilot attitude.

All pilots should be familiar with the accident chain. After the accident, all the attention is given to the last few links of the chain. No one talks about the first few links, which usually start long before the accident, usually long before the person ever took their first flight.

As for sharing tall tales of flying adventure, it is a sure sign of an attitude that can be the first link in the chain that ends at your fatal accident.

11. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

How much money does it cost to learn how to fly? Why, all of it!!!

12. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

One of the lessons I have learned on boats is that your ego does not belong on the ocean and I would imagine it is the same with flying. Am I wrong c6601a? Man you really ought to be in HUMAN RESOURSES you apparently know me better than I know myself after you read less than 75 words. :shocked: Hey since you are so good do you want to go into buisness so we can make millions?:rock:

13. New

New Guest

I have not read all the posts here, I didn't even know that subject like this is on GT.

You should defiantly get started. It's not getting cheaper, but it is still very much affordable.
    I have been flying for 10+ years and have been Flight Instructing for the last 4 years. What I tell all my students is to consider purchasing a plane. I know it sound daunting, and it is, but if you do your homework and purchase something like a Cessna 172 that are tried and true planes, you can get you license done with less than 5K invested, then you can sell the plane after and may even make a profit (but don't count on it). I have seen it done more than once

First thing is first, go to your local small airport, and get what is called a discovery flight. It costs about $50.00, at least here in California, and you get .5 in the air, and .5 ground instruction logged in your first log book. It will give you an idea if it is something that is for you. I have had a few people who have wanted to fly, and on the discovery flight, they just come to a conclusion it isn't for them.

Next bit of advise, interview your instructor. Choose an instructor that you are comfortable with. Remember, you are going to be paying them, so don't stick yourself with a grumpy burnt out instructor. Ask them where they got their CFI, if they got if off some pilot factory, keep interviewing unless the guy actually know what he is talking about and can teach.

PM me if you would like more advise.

14. New

New Guest

By the way, if you get your fixed wing rating first. It will be cheaper to add a rotocraft rating to a fixed wing certificate.