Newbie looking for advice...

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Wicked96SS, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

I have been reading online about how to take better pictures with a digital camera. I currently have a Sony 2.0 Megapixel camera that I am working with, that really doesn't have a lot of controls. I purchased a 23 Watt flourescant desk lamp, and have started to use a tripod and the timer to take the pictures without a flash.

I am just looking for constructive critisism on my picture, in how I could have made it a bit better. Here is an example of a picture I took of my TLE RLII. I messed with it a bit in photoshop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on the image for a full sized version.

I am a newbie at this, so please be kind...

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Light source seems to be too close to the object so the light coverage is uneven. It also seems to be shining directly without any diffusion, thus creating harsh contrast and at the same time flat, almost burnt-out areas. You may want to build a simple light tent (look it up on the web, there are plenty of sketches available) and shoot your objects inside.

You bought a fluorescent lamp? Those are usually difficult to balance for correct light temperature. You may want to use photographic light bulbs, particularly that (I believe) your camera doesn't have manual white balance control.

Overall, the picture is quite alright.