Newbie Here-What do I need?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gvp559, Jan 31, 2010.

1. gvp559

gvp559

Hi Everyone-

First, I want to say, thank you so much for all of the insight and information you all provide, and how respectful you all are towards oneanother. Seeing a board that is so active, and without a lot of the BS you see on a lot of internet forums is very refreshing.

So, I am in the process of becoming a first time firearm owner. I currently have a G19 on layaway, and can hardly wait to get it paid off. I have also attended a CCW class with my wife and son, to get ourselves educated on all things hand gun related. Whether I end up carrying concealed or not, I wanted to start getting educated and would not even consider carrying until I become proficient in the handling of a pistol. As soon as we pick up our G19, we are going to meet with the instructor out at his range to get some hands on training. I have also spent countless hours here trying to soak up as much info as I can, and what you all have here is a gold mine. I really appreciate all of the contributions to this board that you provide to a novice like me.

I also want to make sure I can be prepared as possible when it comes time to take delivery of my new Glock in a few weeks, so I have a couple of questions as to what I can pick up in the meantime. Currently, I am working on my ammo stash, and will continue to add to the supply, so I have plenty on hand for the range as well as home defense.

Now I am thinking about eye and ear protection, as well as cleaning supplies. I'd like to have this stuff before I pick up my G19. Any suggestions on good quality items I can get to get me started without being too hard on the wallet? Also, are there any other odd and ends I need to pick up in preparation to bringing the new addition to the family home?

I appreciate any input you all can provide, and I look forward to being a member of this community.

2. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Break Free CLP is gun cleaner...pick up some patches...you can buy all that at walmart. Use some old t-shirts and even a toothbush do the trick. You can buy the cheap winchester branded eye and ear protection from walmart. Then later on you can buy better stuff. Maybe get the little orange ear plugs that go in the ear canal.

3. bambikilr

bambikilr

a cleaning kit, eye & ear protection, can all be purchased at Wal-mart or sporting goods store, they probably have everything your need where you bought the gun, read the owners manual....congrats on a fine & first gun

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

the clocks come with a little brush for the barrel...fyi

5. gvp559

gvp559

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm heading out this afternoon to look around. Going to hit Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Wally World. The store I am buying the gun from has a great selection of firearms and their prices are decent on them as well, but not so good on the other stuff.

6. das9mm26

das9mm26

gvp......
    First off.....Congrats for making the decision to get TRAINING with your new firearm!! This will pay dividends down the road in terms of safety and proficiency.....
    The choice of a G19 is also a +1!!! It is probably THE most popular Glock out there.....simple, solid, reliable and SAFE (*...when "used as directed"....:whistling:).
    The others who've posted offer some other important items to consider, like hearing and eye protection...As for ammo....yeah, more is better....it's usually better to stick to the better-known brands -- Winchester, Federal, CCI/Speer, Remington, etc. -- if you can, try some of each in your 19 and see which works better for you; keep in mind, JHP (jacketed hollowpoints) are usually more expensive than FMJ (full metal jacket)....so you'll likely want to PRACTICE with the cheaper rounds....and save the hollow points for personal defense....
    Regardless of whether you decide to carry concealed/open...or not at all....you and your family WILL reap the benefit of sharing quality time together....at the range, backyard "plinking", etc. -- having FUN, and at the same time, acquiring skills with a weapon which just MIGHT be called upon to defend your life...or the life of someone else......
    Firearms ownership is, quite literally, a DEADLY SERIOUS decision, NEVER to be taken lightly. Viewed in this light, however, there is no reason why owning a gun of ANY kind cannot be an enjoyable and rewarding experience!
    PRACTICE OFTEN!! BUY AMMO!! and....STAY SAFE!!:supergrin:

7. kda

kda NRA Life Member

First, welcome. You sound responsible and determined to do it correctly. That is great. Great choice for your first Glock too. Love my G 19s, both of them.

For ammunition, Walmart is hard to beat but, in my area at least it takes some effort to find ammo in stock at Walmart. Might be easier to get the phone number of your Walmart and just call first ... might save a trip. And in AZ at least, the clerk behind the counter at one store can quickly check stock in nearby Walmarts to see if they might have ammo in stock. Very nice service.

Federal Champion 9 mm at under $10 per box of 50 is likely as good as it is going to get at Walmart and I've have great luck with it, nice, clean and reliable too. Also Winchester White Box at just over $11 per box of 50 is a buy point for me. Either one works great in all my 9mm Glocks.

Often Walmart has a limit of six boxes per day but your wife can go along a buy six for herself, so that is a way to get a little ahead when you are lucky enough to find it in stock since they often sell out in one day.

Just some thoughts.

8. gvp559

gvp559

Thanks, das. I appreciate your comments about the seriousness of the decision. I thought long and hard about this before making the decision. My wife and I decided that even though our 17 yr old cannot get a CCW perit, we had him take the class anyway, and will be going to the range training with us as well. I wouldn't want to have a gun in the house unless everyone here learned how to properly and safely operate it, and had the utmost respect and appreciation of the responsibility of being a gun owner.

We have been to the local indoor range a few times, and it's just not the same as going through proper training with a competent instructor. They hand you a pistol, give you a 30 second rundown on it, and send you off, which I think isn't the safest of practices. Our instructor is a local deputy who trains swat teams and has traveled over to Pakistan and other countries to train their officers as well. He is also very big into the competition shooting circuits, and has strongly urged us to get involved as well. I think that is very sound advice, and something we are looking forward to doing.

On the ammo front, I've started stocking up there with 2 50 round boxes of Remington 115gr, and one 50 rd box of the Federal American Eagle 115gr for range use. My plan is to have at least 500 rounds on hand when we pick up our Glock, because I know we are going to want to get out and start shooting. We'll also pick up a box of the better stuff for home defense.

9. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

Am I the only one that lives in the middle of no where? Theres are Cabela's for a 100 miles, no Dick's Sporting Goods for 50 miles, and the Walmarts don't sell firearm supplies around me.

I have to friggen buy all my supplies online and it ticks me off because it seems like everyone has the conveince to go to a store and shop around and look at the stuff before buying... me, I have to look at a screen.

Okay, I'm done ranting... you can buy some Break Free CLP at stores that sell firearm supplies, I seen Ballistol at a Cabela's in VA before when I was on vacation there, I'd prefer that more than any cleaner/oil. Buy cheap, reliable target ammo (I buy Blazer's Brass FMJ 124 or 147 Gr 9mm because it doesn't get your pistol as dirty as other ammo), you'll need ear and eyes, you can get them at a firearm supplies store again, since your going to Cabelas, you'll find everything you need there. Just remember, the most expensive stuff isn't always the best... before buying something expensive (CCW Ammo... Horandy, Cor-bon, Federal Premium JHP) read reviews on it to see how it's functioning with other's firearms. For example, 9mm Federal Premium Hydrashock JHP 147 Gr is about $20-25 for 20 cartridges, but 9mm Horandy's XTP JHP 147 Gr is about $3-5 cheaper and you get 5 more cartridges... when your buying bulk ammo, it helps because your getting more cartridges for less and they preform no different IMO, besides the ballistics.

Thats my 2 cents.

10. oISHUTupNrocKIo

Good idea about bring your son to the range with you. I've been shooting since I was 15 years old and I turn 21 in about a month now and I know a great deal after all the years... how to clean, shoot, and use firearms responsibly. Training your son is great because when he turns 21, hes going to be better off than someone waking up one day wanting a CCW permit without the years of training/experience. You got some good target ammo there... I like myself some Blazer's Brass, its about $1-2 more expensive, somes not, than Remington and Federal AE, but I've seen that it doesn't dirty the gun up as much, plus not jams or misfires at all after shooting about 1000+ rounds of it with my buddies. I bought 2 boxes of Fed AE and Lawman ammo at the range because we ran out and 2 cartridges from the 2 boxes of Lawman jammed... Fed AE was another good one.

One tip, keep your ears open to anyone with experience especially the old timers at the range. I've had 6 years of experience and knowledge of firearms, but I don't think I know half of the stuff I need to know, so I'm always open to advice.

:wavey: Enjoy and Be safe!

11. oISHUTupNrocKIo

How did everyone go today?

12. gvp559

gvp559

Just got back from shopping around. My kid had a Cabela's gift card he's been carrying around, so he picked up the Browning range kit combo pack for $29.99. It has ear muffs, glasses, and ear plugs as well, so that should do him for now.

I picked up a pair Howard Leight Leightning L3 at Sportsman's Warehouse for $29.99. They are very comfortable, so should work out well. That's all we got today. I looked around for the Breakfree CLP, and all anyone had was the bottle. I figured since both places were out of the aeresol cans, that's probably the better way to go? No biggie, though, I still have time to pick up the other neccesities. Thanks again for the suggestions!

13. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

For cleaning, you can't beat Hoppes $10 pistol kit. It has everything you need for several cleanings. Buy your ammo by the case online. Join an outdoor range, about $100/yr where I live. And last but not least, buy a decent safe like a Stack-on for $70 and up.

14. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Cleaning:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/40/DZf4mUM10Vc
    Shopping:
    www.cabelas.com
    Get the credit card and you'll get discounts at time of purchase
    www.midwayusa.com
    Training:
    http://www.idpa.com/
    Club listings:
    http://www.idpa.com/clubs.asp
    Can't recommend IDPA too much. You'll have fun, lots of fun, learn to shoot...safely and effectively and make some friends.
    All you need: gun, holster (like a Fobus), dual mag pouch, ear and eye protection, concealment garment (like an extra shirt or loose jacket). You can get the holster/mag pouch combo for about $30 on eBay and probably other places.
    You'll want electronic ear muffs.....$30 or less on sale. Got mine at Midway for <$20!
    Cabela's can have great prices on ammo.

15. oISHUTupNrocKIo

Yea, my range is only $100/yr too, but theres and 4 outdoor range, skeet shooting, police training range, and an indoor range and about buying it in cases. I like to have different kinds, esp. different JHP defense ammo... but I'd go with you on the target ammo, but find one that functions in your gun perfect. Blazer's Brass works in my buddies Glocks well.

16. gvp559

gvp559

Sounds like I scored on an outdoor range. The one my instructor, and a co-worker friend of mine belong to is only $25.00/yr for the whole family, so that's a smokin' deal.

17. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

18. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

gvp, if I might add another suggestion to the good ones out there already. Wear the earplugs AND ear muffs when shooting. Its easier than most realize to damage your hearing, and you really cant tell your doing damage with just the muffs on. If Id done this years ago, "Huh?" wouldnt be my most used word.

Have a good time, and congrats on the G19!
    Pick up some extra mags. Its a pain to load 2 shoot 2, repeat. Just pick up a couple of extras a month, or so. I try to have 6-10. With Glocks, you can find good deals on used mags pretty often, but the new ones are about 20 bucks each if you buy online.

19. voyager4520

voyager4520

I know of some videos that helped me when I got my first firearm, a Glock, nine months ago. You might want to get a cheap, soft tooth brush from the store or a Hoppe's brush with a big end and small end.

Glock Do's and Don'ts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_2ykakOgU
    Pistol Cleaning by Nutnfancy, Glock Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx0-hMFako (in this video he uses grease in the slide rails, it's a matter of preference. all you really need is a small drop of gun oil for each area)
    Glock Lubrication: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc (this video may not be working, but it shows the areas that need lubrication. in this video though, he uses way too much lubricant in each area)

Some useful tips for a first time Glock owner: Don't get oil, solvent, other liquids, or foreign debris into the firing pin channel or other internal parts of the slide. Anywhere the Glock instruction manual says to use a drop of oil, use a small drop. Every time you field strip the pistol even if you didn't take the guide rod or barrel out of the slide, the base of the guide rod that seats into the barrel lug will slightly pop out of place, so you need to re-seat it into the half-crescent shaped recess in the barrel lug before reassembling. Don't shoot unjacketed lead in the factory barrel. Don't shoot reloads unless you did the loads yourself and are very experienced with reloading(shooting any reload in a Glock voids the warranty on the pistol). Also beware of "remanufactured ammunition" aka factory reloads(they're still reloads). Try not to use aftermarket parts that affect the function of the pistol, doing so voids the warranty and can make the pistol less reliable. With patches, try to find synthetic patches in bulk. The small packages of them are expensive and 100% cotton patches often leave little bits of cotton everywhere. You certainly don't want little bits of cotton getting into the firing pin channel and other internals of the slide. Also, don't leave any oil on the breech face of the slide(the face that the firing pin comes through to strike the primer of a chambered round). Oil or other cleaners and lubricants will contaminate the primer of a round over time and cause the round not to detonate properly. Also don't get oil inside the magazines because you don't want it to contaminate primers of the rounds in the magazine and the oil will only serve to collect excess gunk and cause malfunctions. It's best to clean the breech face and magazines with clean dry brushes and clean dry patches or rags. Don't ever use a steel brush anywhere on a Glock, especially a steel bore brush. Nylon will work fine for any part of a Glock, and a phosphor bronze bore brush or nylon bore brush will work fine for the bore(inside of the barrel).

I clean and lubricate my G23 pretty much the same way that Nutnfancy does in the video I linked to above. I only use solvent inside the barrel. Amonia-based solvents are not good for plated metal, including a lot of the internal parts in a Glock and the rails of the frame(so I only use it inside the barrel). I run a solvent soaked patch through the barrel, let it soak for around 15 minutes, then I run a solvent soaked bore brush(your Glock should come with an appropriate bore brush) through the barrel to loosen up the gunk that's in there, then let the barrel sit for about another five minutes. Then I run clean dry patches through the bore of the barrel until I get patches coming out looking exactly like they did before they went in(they're clean, so the barrel is clean). I then make sure the barrel is completely clean and dry, and everything else gets cleaned with lightly oiled patches or rags until they look clean. I do not put oil inside the barrel. Though, the breech face of the slide and the magazines get cleaned with a clean dry brush and clean dry patches or rags. When cleaning the breech face, I point the slide with the muzzle end toward the ground so I don't get debris into the firing pin channel and I brush slowly and make sure to brush around the extractor claw. I then use a clean dry rag or patch to wipe everything dry, lubricate according to the instruction manual, reassemble, and rack the slide a few times to evenly distribute the lubricant. I use Hoppe's #9 solvent(only for the inside of the barrel) and Hoppe's oil. Once I use all of the solvent, I have some Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner that I'm going to use instead of solvent.

You can't really learn firearm safety through the internet and I'm sure in your CCW class that they covered it pretty well, but I thought I'd mention that you should treat every gun as though it's always loaded. It doesn't matter if the slide is locked back on an automatic pistol or the cylinder is swung open on a revolver, you still treat it like it's loaded, so it's never ever pointed at another person or in any direction that if it were to go off someone would be hurt. It doesn't matter who checked to see that it was unloaded, how many times they checked, it's still treated like it's loaded. Since you have to dry-fire a Glock to field strip it, you have to be absolutely sure it's unloaded before dry-firing, but when you do dry-fire it it's still pointed in a direction that if it were to go off no one would be hurt.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  20. gvp559

gvp559

Man, that's a lot of great info there, voyager. Thank you very much!