Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Glock 19 and haven't had a chance to fire it yet.

It is really hard to tell from the manual or pictures/videos on the web but I have a rather basic question. I notice when I pull the slide back that the recoil spring rod tilts up along with the barrel. I know the barrel is designed to do this but I didn't expect the recoil spring rod to do the same.

Looking at the internals is seems like the spring rod could either work straight or move at an angle. In fact, when I lock the slide back I can push the recoil spring rod down and it "clicks" into a straight position.

Is the recoil spring rod movement shown in the first pic normal?

In the second picture I pushed the rod down and felt it sort of "click" in place.

angled.jpeg
straight.jpeg
Thanks

·
Just sayin'
4,642 Posts
You are good to go. It's normal. Go out and shoot now. Enjoy your new pistol and be safe.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
The recoil spring assembly is seated on the barrel so as the barrel shifts down so does the interior portion of the guide rod causing the tilt.
True, the condition reported by the OP is normal. Glock calls the part a Recoil Spring Assembly, not a "guide rod" or "recoil rod".

However, the heel of the RSA is NOT seated on ANY part of the barrel of an assembled pistol. The RSA heel is on the barrel underlug ONLY when the slide assembly is being placed on or taken off the frame assembly for field strip.

During pistol reassembly following a field strip, as the slide assembly is placed on the frame assembly and retracted, the heel of the RSA comes off its notch on the front of the barrel underlug and settles on the frame's polymer wall in front of the Slide Lock at the rear of the dustcover. There the RSA heel stays until the slide assembly is later removed from the frame assembly.

New owners are sometimes concerned that whenever they remove the slide assembly from the frame assembly, the RSA heel is partially out of its notch on the barrel underlug. That's normal because that's where the RSA heel settles in the barrel underlug notch as the slide assembly is removed. However, it is important that the RSA heel is manually positioned deep in the barrel underlug notch close to the barrel before reassembling the slide assembly to the frame assembly. Otherwise the RSA heel may hang up on one of the two polymer ledges on the inside of the frame dustcover instead of on the polymer wall at the rear of the dustcover.

·
Banned
6,432 Posts
Normal perfection! please add a drop of oil to you guide rod, yours is completly dry, will help a lot!

·
MacGyver
7,739 Posts
Barrel tilting is normal also.
Recoil Spring Assembly because the guide rod is assembled onto the spring as a unit (otherwise known as CAPTURED rod "assembly"). What you see in the picture under the barrel with the slide back is the "guide rod". Many guns do not have full length guide rods (free floating), and/or rods are separated from the spring (uncaptured). They are harder for the consumer to install, but do offer more flexibility for replacement of springs. They are also avail for modifying your Glock.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Normal perfection! please add a drop of oil to you guide rod, yours is completly dry, will help a lot!
NEVER have heard of oiling a glock RSA. Not saying it would hurt anything but definitely not necessary.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Exactly! Not necessary, but you can feel and hear the difference with just one drop! Specially in Gen3 plastic guide rods!
Enjoy!
I did pick up a gen3 21 the other day that was new, had the noisiest guide rod I ever heard. Guess it just needed a drop!

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
Don't listen to them. There is a huge problem. That pistol must be disposed of and I'm more than happy to make sure that it's properly taken care of. I'll PM you my address....

JUST KIDDING!! :D Nothing to worry about. Shoot and enjoy. :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
NEVER have heard of oiling a glock RSA. Not saying it would hurt anything but definitely not necessary.
I wondered about oiling it when I read that. The manual says nothing about it and everything I know about polymers is they are “self lubricating”. I have some expensive knives with polymer bushings instead of bearings and they say not to lube them because there is no need and the addition of oil will only cause dirt and grime to stick to it. I’m not saying a little oil would hurt it but over time I could see it getting a lot of gunk in all the little spaces in the assembly and while you might see a very small increase in performance at first it would be negative in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True, the condition reported by the OP is normal. Glock calls the part a Recoil Spring Assembly, not a "guide rod" or "recoil rod".

However, the heel of the RSA is NOT seated on ANY part of the barrel of an assembled pistol. The RSA heel is on the barrel underlug ONLY when the slide assembly is being placed on or taken off the frame assembly for field strip.

During pistol reassembly following a field strip, as the slide assembly is placed on the frame assembly and retracted, the heel of the RSA comes off its notch on the front of the barrel underlug and settles on the frame's polymer wall in front of the Slide Lock at the rear of the dustcover. There the RSA heel stays until the slide assembly is later removed from the frame assembly.

New owners are sometimes concerned that whenever they remove the slide assembly from the frame assembly, the RSA heel is partially out of its notch on the barrel underlug. That's normal because that's where the RSA heel settles in the barrel underlug notch as the slide assembly is removed. However, it is important that the RSA heel is manually positioned deep in the barrel underlug notch close to the barrel before reassembling the slide assembly to the frame assembly. Otherwise the RSA heel may hang up on one of the two polymer ledges on the inside of the frame dustcover instead of on the polymer wall at the rear of the dustcover.
Wow, very interesting observation. However, what is the frame dustcover?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts