newbie cleaning question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by projex, Apr 1, 2012.

1. projex

projex

let me start out by saying that I'm new to pistols and chose a 19 gen 4 to pop my cherry and I couldn't be happier. I clean my pistol after every range trip and I have about 600 rounds through it, when I sat down to clean it today I dry brushed the bore then sent some patches soaked in hoppes no. 9 solvent through it followed by clean ones, the grooves in the entry side of the bore are clean and mirror like but as they get towards the muzzle have a gritty gunpowder look to them. So for the past hour I have been scrubbing and sending patch after patch soaked in no. 9 solvent through it and the clean patches are still coming out dirty with the gritty appearance still present. Am I losing my mind or doing something wrong? thanks in advance for any help/suggestions and I apologize for asking such a rookie question.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

are you using a brass brush or the nylon brush that came with it? I have seen some people wrap a wet patch around a brass brush and send it down. You could also soak the barrel for 10-20 minutes to let it work in. some soak overnight.

3. Aquagear

Aquagear

You probably just have a build up that was not entirely removed with earlier cleanings. I normally use a bronze brush with a liberal amount of solvent on it, push it through the bore several times and let the barrel soak fore a while before using dry patches. Let it soak for a bit sometimes it takes a while for the solvent to soften all the crud.:wavey:

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

You're loosing your mind!

So quit worrying.....go shoot!

Certainly clean it best you can, but don't loose any sleep over it. My 1986 vintage G17 barrel has about 150,000 rounds through it, and it still shoot great even though I'm far from studious about cleaning.

5. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

I think you're gonna have to shoot that crud out of your new 19. :supergrin:

Just kidding. Don't be too obsessed with cleaning. Sounds like you've done it right. Here's are a couple of great links on how to clean your Glock by GT member Hickok45. Check em out and you'll learn a lot from a guy who knows his Glocks and has a fun time with em.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc"]Link1[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTIqAMPOco"]Link 2[/ame]

6. marano

marano

I field strip. I then take the barrel and dip a bronze brush in the solvent and run it from the chamber end out the end of the barrel several times. I then let it sit while I clean the frame, and the other parts with solvent soaked brush. I use the brush to clean the rails on the slide and the small end(military brush) to clean behind extracter claw and brush the breach face good. then I clean everything with dry patches and run several down the barrel. Reassemble, lock slide to rear, invert the gun, put a couple of drops of oil on the slide rails, and a drop on top of exposed barrel. Drop the slide and rack it several times. Lock open wipe off excess oil from barrel and back of slide. Use that to wipe down rest of metal surfaces. D O N E.:cool:

7. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Hi projex, welcome to Glock Talk.

After two quick passes of a dry brush through the bore for loose residue, I'll add another vote for letting the barrel sit soaking in solvent for at least the time required to clean the rest of the pistol; longer if you've shot several hundred rounds since the last cleaning.

A spray bottle/can with a long, straw nozzle is very convenient to generously disperse the solvent in the barrel bore for soaking. After the soak, whatever you can get out with 2-3 wet patches followed by 2-3 dry patches (or a few passes of a Hoppe's BoreSnake Viper) is plenty good enough.

I second the recommendation of the videos by Hickok45 posted above for cleaning and lubrication basics if you haven't seen them already. I use the same solvents and lubricant shown in the videos.

8. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

No need for solvent really unless you are shooting lead. All you really need is a bore brush, run a clean patch through and be done with it. Invest in some Hilco wipes to wipe down the rest of the gun, a drop or two of lube and you're done 10 min or less later.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

If you're using a phosphor bronze bore brush, the patches will keep coming out dirty because they're picking up the residue of bronze left behind in the bore by the brush.

I run a Hoppe's #9 soaked patch, then the phosphor bronze brush, clean patch, then a soaked patch. After the soaked patch I let the solvent sit in the bore for a few minutes, then brush and clean patch again and repeat until the only residue I get is the residue from the bronze brush. When I use the bronze brush, I slowly move the brush through the bore as I turn it clockwise from the chamber end. I probably turn it 20 times as it slowly moves through the bore.

After I'm done with the bronze brush, I use a nylon bore brush to get the bronze residue out of the bore. Then I run a Ballistol soaked patch through the bore, let it sit for a few minutes, then clean patch, another Ballistol soaked patch, and finally one more clean patch to pick up the excess Ballistol. This leaves a thin coat of Ballistol in the bore to protect against corrosion, but it's not enough to interfere with function when it's fired.

10. projex

projex

thanks a lot for all the help, i soaked it all day and finally got it perfect. I know these guns are very low maintenance but I always try to keep my firearms in better than new condition, its just an ocd tendancy I have... Its going to take every bit of patience to not completely strip her down and detail every single part once a week but I have the utmost respect for the knowledge and experience from everyone on here so thanks again and I look forward to the day my 19 has 10k plus rounds through her.

11. cciman

cciman MacGyver

If you are not going to put it in your mouth then you are way too ambitious.

Take the nylon brush that came with it, put a few drops of dish detergent on it (P&G Dawn is good stuff), run hot water over the barrel, run the brush through about five times, rinse, dry with paper towel, DONE. Repeat until you are happy.

If you want to see how clean it is, and how well the above works, run a hoppes9 soaked patch through it after you have done the above. :whistling:

12. truetopath

truetopath

I'm the exact same way, I clean til it shines...I know it's overkill, but it's what I do...

13. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Uhhh...you ARE aware that gunpowder and metal will leach out of the barrel after cleaning? Swab it down a day or two after firing and still more crud comes out.