Newbie aiming, sight allignment question...

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by royce, Oct 27, 2010.

1. royce

royce

I recently purchased my first pistol with night sights (a G26 with factory night sights) and noticed that, when the three dots are aligned, the top edge of the front sight is slightly below the top edge of the rear sight. Because the edges are not perfectly aligned when the green dots are, and the green dots are the whole point of these sights, I assume that the edges of these sights are not intended for aiming. Thus, during the daytime, I should be using the white dots (i.e. that contain the green tritium dots) to sight with, NOT THE BLACK EDGES OF THE SIGHTS... right???

What throws me about doing this with the night sights is that, when I aim with the white dots (the rings around the tritium dots) during the daytime, the bottom of the middle (front) dot is chopped off by the top edge of the rear sight (the bottom of the well, or whatever you call the gap in the rear sight). It looks wrong.

I pretty much learned to shoot using a G19 with standard sights, and I tried to line up the top edges of the sights, rather than use the white dots--it seemed more precise. But now I wonder if I was aiming wrong from the beginning, and if all white dot and night sights should be aimed with the dots only.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. chris in va

chris in va

Here's what you do.

Get a target stand, set it at 15 yards. Rest the gun on a sandbag or something and see where the point of impact is compared to what's called Six O'Clock hold, meaning the bullet should hit right at the top of the front sight.

[​IMG]

If the bullet hits on the dot itself, it's referred to as Point of Impact (IIRC).

3. bentbiker

bentbiker

Royce, have you spoken to Glock? I have never owned the Glock NS, so I can't say whether it is normal, but I agree with you that the design seems strange.

4. FLSlim

FLSlim

Actually, my G23 with NS requires the front dot to be ON the target, not 6 o'clock (i.e., if I hold at 6, it hits at 6). I've always understood this to be the norm for combat vs. target sighting. As to your question, I don't have that issue. When my dots line up, the top of the front and rear sights are even. I put the front dot on the center of the target and it works like a charm. Try just aligning the dots and see where that takes you.

5. carloglock19

carloglock19

Just looked at my 23 factory NS and they sit flush at the top when I align the 3 dots. Make sure that the sights are mounted properly sitting flush on the slide.

6. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

No offense but the old "pumkin on a post" 6:00 hold is not what is taught anymore...at least not with modern pistols and ammo, for self-defense.

"Proper sight alignment is when the Front sight blade is centered in the rear sight notch and the top of the front sight is level with the top of th rear sight. If the front sight is correct, there is an equal amount of light on both sides of the blade..."
    KY CCDW Applicant Manual, pp 36

The front sight fills up imaginary line across the top...

As per the correct hold or point of aim, at 25 yds using factory ammo, you should be aiming at the CENTER of your intended target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0kKQt6S9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSgHAhKNuLY&feature=related

7. JBP55

JBP55

Jake has the correct answer.

8. Snarlingiron

Snarlingiron

Yep, Jake's answer is the technique I use. With a pretty good level of success I might add.

9. malleable

malleable