Newbee Reloader for the 44mag

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Packing19, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Packing19

Packing19

Well sort of I did some reloading about 15 yrs ago so I do have an idea of what I'm doing but I never reloaded for the .44mag and so I'm looking for some advice.

I just ordered a Ruger Redhawk 4 inch .44mag and I just want to reload plinking rounds for it, nothing hot. I guess what I'm asking is what are some good light loads, good powders, good places to order hardcast bullets (I was thinking LaserCast)ect.

2. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

i really want a ruger 4" 44 . Does it have the houge grips?

Do you need a whole set up ? How much do you want to plink?

3. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

My son and I shoot thousands of 44 Mag rounds a year out of our rifles and revolvers.

Our standard plinking load is 9.0 gr Unique under a 240 gr HC bullet. This chrono's ~1070 fps from a 7.5" Ruger SRH and SBH and is a mild load that doesn't break your wrist. You can shoot them by the box full and not have a problem with recoil.

4. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

My favorite plinking load is 10.5 gr Unique, CCI 300 primer, under a 240 gr lead semi-wadcutter bullet (hardness about 18) out of a 7.5" barrel Ruger Super BlackHawk. You can shoot these all day long.

I'm new to this forum, but by the official bylaws of GlockTalk Reloading, doesn't that make me 1.5 gr more manly than you? I'm not always certain of the rules around here... :whistling:

5. fredj338

fredj338

If you are shooting mild loads, you don't need or even want a super hard cast bullet. 9-10gr of Unqiue is a comfortable load in a 4", 1000fps or so w/ a 240grLSWC. I shoot 100s a year from a 4"M29, my own cast 250grLSWC though. You need nothing harder than WW alloy, about 14bhn, most commercial are 18bhn+. Check the cyl throat of each chamber, Ruger is notorious for making smaller throats, this hurts accuracy & causes leading w/ lead bullets. You should slug the bbl, but if you are shooting a 0.430" bullet, the throats should be that, not smaller, or much bigger.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  6. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Another vote for Unique. With a jacketed bullet it achieves what 10mm loaders strive for - a 200 grain bullet going 1,200 fps. You can move it up from there if you want with 2400 powder.

7. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

is this a load i could shoot in a 629 without shooting it loose?

8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I shot a lot of the plain jane Speer 200 grain jhp with 12.2 grains of Unique, CCI large pistol primer and with my 6.5" bbl 629 Classic, I was getting 1,360 fps. You still know you're shooting a .44 mag, but it's a lot less thump than factory loads... very accurate and comfortable to shoot. I switched to a Hornady 200 grain XTP and found the accuracy load for my gun to be at 12.4 grains.

The pressures aren't going to be out of whack with anything else you shoot from a .44 mag.

When I loaded the same bullet and used 2400, it was going about 150fps faster, and you definitely noticed the difference in recoil.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I like Unique, 2400, for mild playin to serious, and H110 for the hotter stuff.

I think you've already got some really good advice here from fred and steve etc. Just tossin in another vote for these powders.

Good luck

Good shooting

CanyonMan

10. Riflemanz

Riflemanz

First thing is buy lymans #49 reloading manual.

11. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

10 Grains of Unique under a 240 grain LaserCast SWC

12. Packing19

Packing19

Thanks for all the good posts!:cool:
    Have any of you guys ever heard of or used some hardcast bullets by the name of "Bullet Works?

13. fredj338

fredj338

Never used them, but I am not a fan of the really large bevel base on many commercial cast bullets. I find flat base bullets a bit more accurate most of the time & less leading, but that is JMO. Give them a try though. Before you order you might want to e-mail & ask what hardness they cast them to. For loads under 1200fps, you don't need a really hard bullet (over 14-16BHN).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  14. tjpet

tjpet

I shot a lot of Unique in my .44s back when dragons roamed the Earth. Since the mid-90s, though, Universal Clays has taken it's place. Same great performance but much cleaner burning. I run 9.0grns. w/240grn. hardcast SWC from a local outfit. Accurate and low recoiling it packs enough umph for just about anything within reasonable range. I've clipped quite a few deer with it on late season hunts. One shot through the lungs with no meat damage so you can "eat right up to the hole" as the oldtimers use to say.

15. dla

dla

Just about any powder will work for plinkers - don't get hung up on "Moses" powders like Unique - especially since you might not be able to find it. I use Hodgdon Clays and TiteGroup for plinkers. I've also used AutoComp, Longshot and Silhouette - they all pretty much work the same. The key is that the 44 mag is pretty easy to load for.

Great advice on the bullets versus throats. Oregon Trail LaserCast is sized .431" - if your throat is .429" you'll get a lot of leading if you try to push them past 900fps.

S&W329pd load info

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

May the Gods of righteousness smite you down. Young whippersnapper. :faint:

Jack :whistling:

17. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

I shoot "Moses" powder (Unique), because it's almost always available at my local WalMart... :tongueout:

18. fredj338

fredj338

I don't know? "Moses" powder like Unique or "koolaid" powder like TG, hmmm?
    Really, all handguns rounds acn be loaded w/ just about any powder tha can be stuffed into them, but w/ varying degrees of success. Some powders, like Unique or WSF, offer a wider range of loads that offer good perfromance in a wide array of carts. Can't be said for uberfasts like TG. Yes TG & Clays can be used in the 44mag, but not the best choice for much above plinker status IMO.:dunno:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  19. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I definitely think the 629 can handle this the types of loads I see discussed here. I personally think the 8 to 9 grains of unique withe the 240 grain lead semi-wadcutter is the perfect target load.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  20. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman