close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newbee Anderson questions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by KinderGlocken, Mar 11, 2004.

1. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

I’m fairly new to Glock pistols, got a G19 a few months ago. I have been reading all the GSSF info on GT, particularly the tips. From reading the forums I think that I have a good idea what to expect at each stage but I’m sure watching in person will answer a lot of newbee questions. One question I do have is can you have a 3.5 connector and compete in the stock classes. I don’t have one but have read that they are nice. I’m not a very good shooter and have never been in a shooting competition before but from what I have read here, GSSF matches are very friendly to new shooters. So I was thinking of going to the GSSF match in Anderson SC. Anderson is about a 4 hour drive from my house and I was thinking of driving down on Friday night after work. Is there a cheap hotel near the range? Also, where is the range? The GSSF webpage is still down.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Go to the Anderson match, you'll enjoy it! GSSF matches are low pressure, and everyone will be newbie friendly!

A 3.5lb connecter is fine for the stock classes as long as it is a Glock connecter and not an aftermarket part like the Ghost connecter or the one from Scherer. Personally, I would skip the 3.5 pound connector. I used to have one in my G17 and I actually prefer the 5lb connecter, it just feels crisper to me. My scores also increased when I used the 5lb connector vs. the 3.5lb connector.

As for the directions, someone else will have to help you out with that. I only have a vague idea on how to get there. Anderson is only two hours away from me, so I never get a hotel there and can't help you out with that either, sorry!

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The Hampton Inn is closest and fairly reasonable. GSSF Online will be back up in time to download directions to the range. If not, I'll be glad to fax you a map if you e-mail me a fax number.:)

4. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Hey Kinderglocken! I think I ran into you at the range last week; glad to see you here. It looks like your questions have already been answered! Hope to see you at Anderson!

5. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

Yep that was me. I'm glad that you mentioned the GSSF match in Anderson SC last weekend. Unless something comes up, I plan on going. I was contemplating riding down Friday night after work and getting a hotel room or saving money on a hotel and just leave early Saturday morning and come back that night. Anderson is about 4 hour drive from here right? That will be a long day for sure. When are you going?

6. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

KinderGlocken, you need to go. After the first match I went to, I was hooked.;f You WILL have a good time, and meet plenty of new friends. Welcome aboard.

7. cap168

cap168

When you go to the GSSF matches do you have to supply the ammo or do they supply the ammo so everbody is shooting the same thing. I saw there was one in Pennsylvania coming up and I may just try to attend if I can get off work. Which category would I be placed in ? I am a law enforcement officer so I don't know if that makes a difference.

8. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

You supply your own ammo. Whatever brand and loading you want. You can shoot new factory ammo or you can shoot reloads. If you shoot reloads you will not get a reshoot if you have a malfunction.

You can enter which ever category you want to. I think GSSF allows each competitor to enter up to six categories, but I might be wrong about that one.

You can shoot either Amatuer Civilian or Amatuer Guardian with a stock gun, but you can't use the G34, G35, G17L, C model Glocks, or a G36. You have to pick which category you want to shoot in because you can't shoot both of them.

You can also shoot Competition category. This category was made for the G34, G35, G17L and C model Glocks, but any stock gun will do.

You can shoot Subcompact with any of the subcompact Glocks like the G26/G27/G33 and the G29/G30.

You can also shoot MajorSub with a G36 or G29/G30 but the mags in the G29/G30 have to be downloaded to seven rounds for that category.

Then there is Stockmeister, which is just like AM/CIV except it's for the Master Class shooters. You can shoot in this category if you wish, but be advised, the competition is pretty tough in this one. If you plan on winning this class, you better be good! I don't even bother entering it yet, I still got some growing to do! ;f

Last but not least is Unlimited. That's the race guns, you can do pretty much whatever you want to your gun in this category as long as you use a Glock. Most of the guys use red dot scopes and all kinds of other cool stuff! I don't fool with this one either, I'm to poor!

I think that about covers it. There are a ton of great shooters on this forum, so feel free to ask away!

9. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

What Dale said. ;f