New York's Not-So-Well-Regulated Right to Bear Arms

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ChinaCave

ChinaCave

I am not a lawyer. But I followed that case closely, as I live in the county that it concerned (not NYC, or ALL of New York State, as I believe the writer implies or believes. )

I hope a person more knowledgeable in both the specific case and the law happens to read this article and comment - It seems like the writer did not actually read the filings, or the summary, or evidently understand the rather limited question raised in the suit, both regulatory and geographically.

That article was all over the place.

It is a shame that the Kachalsky suit was shot down, as it leaves many of us without ANY option for legal carry in downstate New York, while folks from neighboring counties can carry, with state permits, anywhere in the state (except the 5 boroughs of NYC), including my home county, all because I cannot show that my life is 'more in danger' than say a jeweler, pharmacist or well-connected folks.

//Rant on pause for now.

Thanks HG, always interesting stuff.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Maybe not. Remember, MD has a case going where they've found the requirement that the applicant "has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" is unconstitutional.

Split circuit court decisions. Sounds like the definition of a Supreme Court case. Might be found against those of us who want shall issue and/or constitutional carry all around but sooner or later it's going to have to get decided.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

One can only hope the Supreme Court upholds the Constitution. Otherwise you only have freedom of speech while you are inside your house.