New York City to California In 26 Hours?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Resqu2

Resqu2

I’d read that the Cannonball run record has been broke several times since the virus shut everything down. Some teams go all out with air support to watch for cops. Think it would be real hard to do it alone though.

Caver 60 likes this.
  2. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

BS. No car gets like 1500 miles to the gallon. MORON.

3. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I've driven from Springfield MO to San Diego in 23 hours, and that was when there was no speed limit in the desert. I can't imagine that other scenario.

FullClip likes this.
  5. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

That's pretty good time. I've never driven further west than Michigan and Houston.

But how long did it take you when you made your first trip out to the gold fields??
    [​IMG]

Caver 60, M&P15T and Ramjet38 like this.
  6. zoraone

zoraone

Interesting to read the people that don't believe it.

The Red Ball Garage to Portofino Hotel in California has been a thing for years.

At 25:55 this was an insane average of 108 mph. I believe it was his 5th or 6th overall participation in a Cannonball. These guys likely have tons of money, tons of toys, tons of electronics and tons of planning. It isn't just jump in a car and drive to Cali.

Caver 60, Jonesee and BC42 like this.
  7. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Its faster taking the pony express.

FullClip likes this.
  8. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

That car rental company will be surprised when they get the car back.

Caver 60 and M&P15T like this.
  9. 1cm

1cm

Exactly. I have made similar cross country trips and have always ran into those things, even advance planning. I am lucky if I can average 85mph.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. ottomatic

ottomatic

There are actually more than one video out there where he gives exact details how everything was done. After watching all of them, I chose to believe it.

Caver 60 likes this.
  11. unit1069

unit1069

No witnesses or verified evidence this feat was actually performed?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. ottomatic

ottomatic

Well there was his refueling crew, near the halfway point.

Caver 60 likes this.
  13. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

People do this Cannonball Run all the time nowadays. There are regular single-car runs as well as competitive events every year.

Alex Roy reignited interest when he did it in 31 hours 4 minutes in an M5, breaking the decades-old record of 32:07 set in 1983.

Ed Bolian shattered that record in 2013, doing the run in 28:55 in a CL55 AMG with a couple of fuel cells in the trunk. Ed has the telemetry data to back up his claim, and I think most modern-day record-breakers do the same thing. (ETA: Fuel cells have also become a necessity for attempting to break the record.)

In the last several months, and particularly during covid, several have claimed to have broken the record. The fact is, there are probably multiple attempts made each year. If you're along either route (there's at least a northern and southern route that I'm aware of) and you see a V8 car blowing past you with an antenna or two coming out of the trunk, it's probably a contestant.

I don't doubt that it's possible to do what the Mustang Man did. I don't know how ironclad his homespun verification process is, but Ed Bolian has become the de facto leader of the Cannonball, and he interviewed Mustang Man, so unless I hear otherwise, I guess it's probably valid. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have taken interest in doing the Cannonball in recent years, and there's an increased chance for fraudsters, so proof is key.

According to Ed Bolian and others, there have been no collisions or other serious incidents attributable to a Cannonball Run or any other cross-country race (like I said, there are quite a few). I tend to believe that claim, since I'm certain such incidents would be widely and heavily reported in the news.

I also believe it, because these drivers are actually paying attention to what they're doing, which is more than we can say for a good 2/3 or more of average drivers today.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  14. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Yes. At the beginning, and at the end. Time-stamped photos. All that is in the video.

Hartford likes this.
  15. ottomatic

ottomatic

Also, most phones have a location/time stamp mode, which can prove where you were when.

16. nautoncall

nautoncall

There’s a great documentary by Alex Roy on the Cannonball. Pretty cool to watch. He references Ed at the end bc Ed had already beat his record.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk