New Yaesu FT-3DR handheld transceiver

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by cowboy1964, Jun 9, 2019.

1. dudel

dudel

My FT-60 meets your first two criteria (although it does do weather alerts if needed).

There are times when GPS is handy (SAR); or APRS (for weather and location information). A little used feature of APRS is text messaging. Handy for when cell service is non existent. Air and Marine bands are sometimes more interesting than local news. Wires-X lets you really reach out and touch people.

In the end though, you're right, it's all about RX and TX; just different data on the RF.

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I've not done anything with the Wires-X except accidentally turn it on.

3. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

I cant justify spending big $$$ on ht's anymore, I dont find them practical with limited power. If i need portable comms I personally would just build a 50w mobile go box for the same or less money and have more transmitting power if needed. That said vhf-uhf is a borefest anymore, last emergency we had only 2-3 people working ares...ive pretty much moved on to hf radio

4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-6Fhnp2W3U

Do you think the 2M band is good for FM/repeater operations only? Did you know there is a local band plan for every Amateur frequency that is FAR more detailed than the national band plan? Ever wonder why certain repeaters are only found in certain parts of the band?

You can operate in 2M with many types of propagation...meteor scatter...Earth to Moon to Earth, Satellites, even talk to the international space station! Several modes as well....digital, CW (Morse), FM. Single Side Band etc etc....

There's MUCH more to 2m than HT FM communication...all available to ANY technician class operator....if you aren't HAM licensed you will NEVER use any of it...and trust me you don't just pick up a radio and start operating....

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  5. bdcochran

bdcochran

Thank you guys for the update.

6. syntaxerrorsix

Oh c'mon. You mean all those "I don't need a license because you don't need one in an emergency" folks won't be solid operators? Surely you jest.

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I think the biggest thing that surprised me when I first got my HAM License is how hard it actually was to make a contact that would talk back to you and acknowledge your call...

I spent years in the Army communicating on military FM radios and thought no big deal...get my HAM license dial up a frequency and I'm on the air! WRONG....

Just because you have an antenna that can hear things doesn't means its resonant when you run some power through it...and certainly doesn't mean anyone can actually hear your signal. Duh! So you are right....the non-licensed emergency guys are deluded especially when your primary mode of communication on 2 meters is on a split frequency with a code/tone...to complicate things...good luck with that.

It gets even more complicated on HF... my homemade 20m delta loop antenna was OK as I put it up a few months ago....made some nice contacts...even in Europe, Hawaii and a couple dozen stations here in the states at night when band conditions allowed. But the SWR was still a little high around 1.5-1 and in truth I made a lot of calls and tried responding to a lot of calls and they never heard me. So I trimmed a five inches off the wire and raised it 6 feet higher in the air.... Now at about 28 feet. And its a peach.

But how the hell would you know your antenna sends well if you don't run it and get responses....hell, most store bought HF antennas require tuning for best results and again...if you can't transmit because you don't have a HAM its like buying a gun and a box of bullets and relying on it for self defense and never even shooting the thing to see if it works or if the sights are on target!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  8. Blanton

Blanton

I don't jest, and don't call me Surely

9. syntaxerrorsix

...it was only a matter of time.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The FT-3DR is now shipping apparently. Price is coming in around $448 which isn't too bad, certainly cheaper than the Kenwood.

11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have a buddy that has one and swears by it