New Yaesu FT-3DR handheld transceiver

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by cowboy1964, Jun 9, 2019.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Not sure who is using C4FM, I've not even heard it brought up in discussion around here. DMR is relatively popular here, but I'm only mildly interested in any of the digital stuff. I like Yaesu HT's, I've got a VX3R and FT60. That one looks interesting mainly due to the IXP5 rating. None of my HT's are really waterproof.

dudel likes this.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I sent my VX6R off to Yeasu for repair last week. I've heard great things about their customer service and turn around. So I'll report back

I'm also more interested in Dstar than Fusion So Icom is probably where I'm headed when and if I buy a new dual band HT. I will say the GPS capability off the new Yaesu is impressive.

I got a Baofeng BF F8HP as a backup a week ago and while its a pretty basic radio with limited capabilities beyond 2m and 70 CM I will say its a very easy to use and easy to program HT. I got the programming cable with it off Amazon and it was a breeze to get it up and running with CHIRP software off my Mac and I've already made a dozen or so QSO's at 10-20 miles using 6 Watts. Entirely serviceable HT for $60

happie2shoot likes this.
  4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I've been surprised by the lack of handhelds that are really full-featured. Until the 3DR I really didn't find anything that did everything I wanted. The Kenwood 74 was close but I really wanted a bandscope feature.

5. syntaxerrorsix

May I ask why?

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Not sure how useful it is but it would be fun to have. Same with airband, GPS, etc.

7. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

Big Bird, when you talk about programming, do you have to use a windows computer?

8. syntaxerrorsix

CHIRP works on Mac, Windows and Linux.

9. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

That's what I was afraid of.
    I haven't had a real computer in years.

10. syntaxerrorsix

Most every HT can be programmed from the face but some are WAY easier than others. The Chinese branded radios certainly seem to be the most complicated and really benefit from CHIRP. Yaesu and Kenwood are actually pretty easy radios to program once you understand the shift keys and the menu.

wiskeyVI likes this.
  11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Programming a BaoFeng from the front panel seems to be a nightmare unless you have the user manual handy. In other words, it's not intuitive at all. I only use the software.

I'm starting to see prices for the new Yaesu, around $500 so about the same as the Kenwood 74A.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Using software like chirp is really the only way to go. i use it on a mac with no issues.

It basically allows you to download the repeater lists for your area or any area you want onto a spreadsheet, edit the spreadsheet to include or exclude any stations/repeaters you don't want to use and upload it to your radio...literally hundreds of stations say in your state...in a few minutes. As most of you know its not just the frequencies but the frequency offsets tone etc

You can program it into the HT manually--but its a pain on a software driven phone like a Baofeng or Yaesu...
    I can do in 15 minutes with chirp quite literally what would take me 10-15 hours doing it manually.

And if your radio gets lost or destroyed its no big deal to save your settings on the computer and upload them to another radio-even of a different manufacturer! Or if you have more than one HT or even a HT and a mobile rig you can program the mobile rig with the same settings as your HT with virtually no effort.

Chirp is free software/shareware. You can download it here: https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    happie2shoot and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  13. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

Thanks for the info. I just recwntly broke my Chrome Book and now oly use a Tab A...

14. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Most technicians are focused on 2m and 440 because these are the HT bands.... But if you recall your testing you might remember that you have two HF bands open to you. A small segment of the 80m band is open to technicians as well as a section of the 10m band. Technicians are limited to 200 watts on these bands. Of course you'll need a HF rig and an much bigger antenna for the HF bands...but antennas can be made for very little money.

Here's a great explanation of the HF ham bands and Dave has some AWESOME Ham vids on youtube.....
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8_MCfDVn6g

Maybe this will motivate you to step up to general class,

I was on 20m last night for about half an hour and worked contacts in Hawaii, California, Slovenia, New Jersey and Florida...using 50 watts on my homemade delta loop that cost me maybe $20 to build (not counting 100 feet of coax to reach my radio from the antenna)

happie2shoot, Wake_jumper and Blanton like this.
  15. dudel

dudel

I have an FT2D, and I like it a lot. Really wanted an ft3, but once the specs came out, it was hard to justify. Not that that has stopped me from buying a radio before!

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Is there any spec missing from the FT3 that you would have liked to see?

17. dudel

dudel

Well, the Yaesu bluetooth, is pretty much to their own spec. Works with their headset, and not much else from what I've heard (same situation with the Yaesu BT board for the FTM400). Color screen is nice; but not enough to justify the price difference from the FT2D. The FT3D is a few grams lighter (about 10gr); but not a big deal. Battery is the same on both, and so is battery life (which is a bit surprising given color screen over B/W screen).

No additional features I need, they are both very full featured machines. The band scope is nice, and provides a handy way to select a frequency. Once you have the bandscope up, turning the top dial changes among the frequencies displayed in the bandscope. Sort of like a waterfall display on the HT. My Alinco DJ-7G has a similar feature which is handy for satellite work.

With the firmware upgrade, the FT2D (and all new FT2Ds & FT3Ds) can be used as a Wires-X Personal Data Node (PDN) which is pretty slick. As a PDN, you can connect to all the Wires-X rooms in the world. I've set up my new FTM-100 and FT2D as PDNs. With the FTM-100, I have it set up as a reverse repeater. When the club accesses our 444.900 repeater, it works with the FTM-100 and gives them access to Wires-X. Very, very slick. When used on the FT2D, it eliminates the need for a hotspot.

Also, APRS and GPS are very nice on the FT2D. Very wide range receiver, from 0.520-999.000 MHz. Covers Air, Weather and Marine bands (cellular blocked). Worldwide radio stations are preprogrammed in (BBC, VOA, Vatican, etc). Course you would need more than the rubber duck antenna to listen to BBC!

Dual watch, data terminal ready, etc, etc. Like I said, lots of features.

Easy to program. First HT I could program from the face. That said, I still recommend the RT Systems package because not only can you set memories; but also all the other settings (and there are LOTS of them). At least 5 people in the club have bought one after trying mine.

My recommendation would be to check out the FT2D. You can now get them from Gigaparts or DX Engineering for close to (or under) $300. All you are giving up is BT and color screen.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-ft-2dr

18. dudel

dudel

System Fusion is very popular in Texas. Possibly because of the great trade in deals Yaesu made available to repeater owners. With the new Yaesu's capable of PDN mode (FT2D, FT3D, FTM-100, and FTM-400), I'm seeing the number of nodes rise rapidly. Quite a few nodes were added between the time I registered my FTM-100 and my HRI-200. We've linked our 444.90 repeater to the San Antonio Digital Radio Club (SADRC), and Texas Nexus. Since doing that, we've seen traffic rise on that machine. That gives us full coverage from Corpus Christi to Dallas. We're trying to expand the Westward footprint.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  19. syntaxerrorsix

It's my opinion that an HT should do two things, RX and TX. Everything else is a battery drain. As I'm primarily interested in simplex most of my HTs are used for cross band repeat to the car or house. We've got state wide UHF with Sarnet and the Polk county ARES footprint covers most of central Florida.

20. dudel

dudel

If you want a submersible radio, check out the Yaesu VX-6R. Good at 3Ft for 30 minutes. Just doesn't do digital.
    https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0666.html

I do have an FT-60. That puppy is a rock solid performer.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.