close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New XP Install Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WERA49, Feb 15, 2005.

1. WERA49

WERA49

Soon, I'll install Windows XP to replace my current Windows 98 setup. What steps do you recommend? I've never installed a new O.S.

I tried to search but couldn't find anything decent.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I have a few tips for you:

1. DO NOT do an Upgrade install, if you save the $$$ and get that type of disk. Back up all needed data, then reboot with the CD in. Show it the Win9x disk then remove the partition, repartition the hard drive in NTFS, and install XP.

2. Don't let XP set up anything during the install for your network; wait until later for that, after the AV app is in place. Do yourself a favor and use Avast! instead of McAfee or Norton.

3. Turn off most of the eye candy...that makes a slower machine run XP much more quickly. Go to Control Panel> System> Advanced (tab)> Performance Settings (button); click Best Performance, then Custom and check the bottom-most FOUR ITEMS. Apply and OK.

4. In the CP, open Administrative Tools and select Services. Find Messenger and r. click> Shut Down, then R. click> and choose Disable. Apply and OK.

5. Now set up the Web connection, but before you actually connect make sure the XP Firewall is enabled in the Advanced Tab of that Network Connection's Properties.

6. Install SpyBot S&D 1.3 and AdAware6 first thing when you get online, and update the .dat files for the AV app.

This is a good start, but I have omitted setting up a set of Admin/Limited Accounts, as most folks can't get their computer to install or run things properly after that scheme is in place. You can set that up later if you want to.

Same thing with the two-partition standard, where a ten GB partition holds the OS and nothing else...then use a D: partition to save your data and to install all the applications into.

Good luck.

3. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

#3 is freaking awesome. Thanks a bunch.

Can you explain what #4 is a bit? When I read your post, I assumed you were talking about windows messenger. But when I went to look at that service, it specifically said that it had nothing to do with that. It said something about communication between servers and clients. Would turning this service off have any impact on my office network?

Thanks.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

You failed to mention your current system hardware configuration. You are coming from Win98, does your system have enough “horsepower” to run XP?

I would do a clean install NOT an upgrade. You can use the M$ upgrade advisor to check your system before you do anything. You can get it here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

Do NOT install service pack 2!

I use a handy program called XP-AntiSpy. It will allow you to disable a lot of unnecessary programs/settings that XP loads by default … messenger service, time server, error-reports etc … and you can also completely remove MSN messenger. http://xp-antispy.org/content/view/12/40/ Get the zipped version, without the installer.

Messenger service was originally designed for use by system administrators to notify Windows users about their networks. It would be used to notify every one of system wide events such as network outages, virus outbreaks etc… When the administrator used it to send messages the users would get a pop-up box at their workstation

5. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Does this particular service eat up a lot of system resources?

6. nickg

nickg

i upgraded to XP from ME about a month ago. i wanted to do a clean install but had some problems and ended up doing the "upgrade" over ME.

actually i've had no problems with my system doing it that way. no driver problems other than having to reload the software for my printer for XP.

the only software problem was with my Adaptec CD Creator program. but with Media Player and Real Player programs now they can do the same thing that my Adaptec program did.

of course i did notice that the files allocation was still set at FAT32. no big deal. i just converted them to NTFS in a short time. once again no big deal.

i also did upgrade my BIOS since i was having "ACPI compliant" problems trying to get XP and Norton Ghost 9.0 going. but after getting the Flash BIOS setup corrected i got that up and running too. i was a lot more worried about screwing that up than i was worrying about getting XP loaded.

but as i said....i haven't had any problems with my system doing it that way. just my experience.

7. WERA49

WERA49

Sgt. Schultz, my computer is a Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz with 512 Mb of ram and a 128Mb video card. It's not great, but plenty for me.

I've learned a lot just in this thread! Thanks guys. :)

8. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

9. nickg

nickg

"startup" is good for exacatly that...preventing programs from loading at startup.

playing around with "services" is sorta like messing around with the registry. most people have NO idea what they are doing and are better off NOT doing anything with their system.

it only takes one idiot to do an "uhh oh" and screw up their whole system. a little knowledge is a dangerous thing sometimes.

10. WERA49

WERA49

Fastvfr, I have the Windows 98 disc. Will the XP upgrade disc contain the entire O.S., or just the upgrage.

Please explain item #1. Or, please send a P.M. and we'll discuss this online.

Thanks guys. I'm heading into unchartered territory (for me)! :)

11. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Yes the upgrade CD contains the entire OS ... the only difference between it and a full version CD is that the upgrade will require you to insert the disk from a qualify product before the upgrade CD will install.

To do a "clean" install with an upgrade CD ... First backup all of your data, reboot with the upgrade CD in the drive, you will be prompted for a qualifying product disk, M$ will ask which partition to install the new operating system on. If you chose to install Windows XP on an existing partition, Setup is going to ask you whether you want to leave the partition alone or reformat it. You should choose to reformat the partition. Select NTFS and choose regular format. The difference between the regular format versus the quick format is whether or not the volume is scanned for bad sectors using the chkdsk command. Both methods remove the files from the volume. Then just follow the prompts.