close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New workout

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Atomic Punk, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

my mom has had a bowflex for a few years, but it has been in pieces for a few months since she moved early last year. i just moved back to town ans thought i should put it back together for her and start using it myself.
    as far the the number listed on the rods im not sure its a direct weight number, and it seams to be a progressive weight increase rather than a static one. still for what i want out of it and that its free for me to use its all good.

My main goal right now is to use the machine to increase my arm strength untill i can do some body weight exercises easier. i can do about 25 pushups but then im rather wobley for a while. and if im lucky i can do about 5 pull ups. so i plan on using this till i can more easily handle my body weight.

im doing 5 exercises. i use the pull down bar, palms facing away on the padded portion
    the lower handles and do a rowing? motion. but i keep my back straight and just use my arms and shoulder muscles
    back to the pull down bar, but change my grip to palms facing me and centered in the middle of the bar.
    change the carabiners holding the bar to handles and do a push up motion standing up.
    thn i use the lower handles again and do bicep curls.

i started out at 80 lbs total and 20 reps (was a decent exercise then ) for everything a few weeks ago. take a 30 min break and do it again. for a total of three sets. take a day off then do it again. i was told that was to much weight and i should lower the weight and increase the reps
    so i changed it to 60 lbs and 40 reps for all but the bicep curls i kept at 20 reps. after a week or so of that i increased the reps to 60.
    Last wed i decided it was getting easier so i changed it to 70 lbs took an extra day off and picked it up again last sat.
    today i just brought it back up to the original 80 lbs for 60 reps on the main 4 and still 20 on the bicep curl. was told yet again i was doing it wrong and if i could do that many reps than i was using to little weight and i should use more and go down to 20 reps or so.

as i said my goal is to more easily lift my body weight, and eventually be able to do more than a small handfull of reps on a solid surface without needing the machine as a handi cap. i like climbing and want to be able to do it longer. so im trying to be able to increase my muscle endurance to be able to do that untill im done having my fun not when my muscles give out in a few min.

i apologize for the long post but rather than keep adding details later i thought it best to try and get in all in one shot.

2. proactive

proactive

OK on the plus side you're progressing and having fun and incorporating some strength training into your life. I applaud your efforts.

That machine IS your handicap. I promise you that the path to more pushups and pullups is paved with pushups and pullups and variations of the two. The Bowflex is a stinking, shiny black turd square in the middle of that path. I would highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of Never Gymless or checking out rosstraining.com and bodyweightculture.com. There's a ton of info at both sites that will help you with your specific goals.

3. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

The best exercise for climbing is .... climbing.

But as Proactive stated, if you want to increase the number of pushups and stuff you can do, start doing them over, and over, and over, and you'll be doing more, provided that's how you train.

4. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

thats all about what i thought. and yea the machine is a handicap. but untill i can get my muscles up enough to do more. right now i get more of a workout with the bowflex. but i dont think i will be using it for much longer once i gain some more strength.

any thoughts on reps? i definatley feel like im getting a workout, enough to start building up a sweat. just on body weight exercises alone i cant do enough to build up a sweat. but i am making upward progress so i imagine i cant be doing it all to wrong.

5. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

I was never a particularly good climber but I did enough of it that I believe I can offer some advice here, considering your goal. You want to do as many body-weight exercises as possible so that your body becomes tuned to lifting itself over, and over, and over. Sheer strength will, perhaps, allow you to muscle your way over a particular segment but it's muscle endurance and your flexibility that will be more important than sheer strength. I suggest that you start doing pullups, chinups, push ups, etc. with as many different hand positions as possible. Do one legged squats, etc.