Glock Talk banner

New Winchester bulk-pack ammo at Walmart?

19K views 40 replies 33 participants last post by  arclight610 
#1 · (Edited)
I've seen and used the Winchester 333 bulk-packs, but yesterday was the first time I'd seen these:

May be old news to some, but I've been in 4 different Walmarts in the last week, and only one of them had these. Anyone tried these yet? I only bought a couple of the Win 333s before they disappeared, mostly for plinking, so I haven't done any rigorous testing or anything.

Price was $15.97.

See less See more
#5 ·
I saw quite a few of those at the WM closest to my house.

I was going to buy six boxes of it.....till I noticed four lonely boxes of Federal Automatch sitting in the next counter. I opted for the tried and true AM as it does excellent in all my rimfires.

But the next time I run in there, I am going to snag a box or two of that Winchester and try it out.

#6 ·
I have not seen the 555 count, but have shot some of the 333 count Winchester in the same style box. I shot it with my S&W Model 22A and it did poorly. Lots of duds, failures to eject and failure to rack the slide. I was not pleased, however, there was a recall recently on the Model 22A I have and it could have been the culprit. It is back at Smith and Wesson now.

#7 ·
I have not seen the 555 count, but have shot some of the 333 count Winchester in the same style box. I shot it with my S&W Model 22A and it did poorly. Lots of duds, failures to eject and failure to rack the slide. I was not pleased, however, there was a recall recently on the Model 22A I have and it could have been the culprit. It is back at Smith and Wesson now.

Not seen the 555 box either but I would like to see them in my WM store as well.

By the way, what year model was your S&W 22A???

#8 ·
My local WM has just started getting the 555 bulk packs in, I bought 3 last Friday to try them out. I burned through one 555 pack yesterday in 2 Browning Buckmark URX's, no malfunctions whatsoever. Neither URX was abnormally dirty so it appears that the 555 bulk pack is a decent alternative to the Federal 550 bulk packs WM usually carries...

#10 ·
The 555 round bulk pack is a new Winchester offering along with their new Hyper Speed HP load. It's a very hot load that matches the ballistic characteristics of the CCI Velocitor round. The Hyper Speed HP, like the Velocitor, features a copper plated 40 grain hollow point bullet. The bullet has a published velocity of 1435 fps at the muzzle, which works out to be 183 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

#14 ·
Howdy,

I have seen those before. My local WM usually carries the Win Xpert in the 500rd boxes. It's about the best shooting of the bulk ammo.

Paul

#16 · (Edited)
Interesting.

Winchester went from 333 to 555 rounds in THEIR bulk pack, and Federal went the other way, 550 to 375. Different focus groups, obviously. :supergrin:

The cynical side of me says they are changing to these oddball numbers in their bulk packs only to disguise price increases. I can't believe ANYONE thinks 555 or 375 is a nice easy-to-remember round number, but it does conceal an increase from about .333 cents a round to .34-something quite well.

#17 ·
Never saw that before, but I hope to. It's probably just a new box for the same old Win. HV.

Damn those .22 shorts mocking me on the shelf! :supergrin:
the win xpert-hv is not plated

my wally hasnt had 22 for like 3 months

i have 9 bricks of federal left from when i was buying one every trip for a rainy day its been the monsoon

i reload all my centerfire stuff

its a shotgun paradise though no walmart is ever out of 12ga

people with saiga 12s and drums are fat and happy

#19 ·
Winchester 555 velocity test, temperature 68-70 degrees F, velocities measured 10 feet from the muzzle.

Smith & Wesson model 317 revolver, 3-inch barrel:

Avg 958 FPS.

--------------------

Browning Buck Mark Camper autoloading pistol, 5.5-inch barrel:

Avg 1048 FPS.

--------------------

Ruger 10/22 autoloading rifle, factory 18.5-inch barrel, blue steel:

Avg 1184 FPS.

--------------------

Remington model 572 Fieldmaster slide-action rifle, 21-inch barrel:

Avg 1198 FPS.

--------------------

No stoppages or malfunctions of any kind were noted while using this ammunition.

#20 ·
Winchester 555 velocity test, temperature 68-70 degrees F, velocities measured 10 feet from the muzzle.
Thanks for the data..

Going to try some of these out..

Real hard these days to find the Remington "Golden" Bulk Packs my integral suppressed autoloaders like. :upeyes:

Was trying to put back an extra 132,000 rounds of it recently..

(20 "Tall .50" ammo cans hold 6,600 rds each)

..& the WalMart supply in NE La & E Tx ran bone dry at around 50,000 rds :miff:

#21 ·
:wavey:You guys don't know how lucky you are. I live in the :50cal:"restricted" state of New Jersey. Among the many gun & ammo restrictions here, WM does not sell ANY ammo, nor ANY guns! I get :crying:envious every time that I read a posting about readily available (and low price) ammo for sale :tongueout: at WM in the more enlightened states. :steamed:

#22 ·
'Just curious: When you buy ammo at WM, (or anywhere else for that matter) what kind of ID are you required to show?
Here in New Jersey, WM does not sell ammo and in order to buy ammo from a gun shop, we are required to show our NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD.
For some reason, the dealer is required to enter your ammo purchase into a database. ... I think that the primary reason is to discourage law abiding citizens from buying ammo by making it intrusive.

#23 · (Edited)
'Just curious: When you buy ammo at WM, (or anywhere else for that matter) what kind of ID are you required to show?

Well, I have raised a few eyebrows when I bought several to many cases at once (5,500 rds per case).. :shocked:

..but other than that it is..

.. "Here is your change & Have a nice day"! :supergrin:

For me in my AO(s)..

..buying ammo is like buying groceries..

..really glad I do not live in areas where you are treated like a criminal! :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Here in New Jersey, WM does not sell ammo and in order to buy ammo from a gun shop, we are required to show our NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD. For some reason, the dealer is required to enter your ammo purchase into a database. ... I think that the primary reason is to discourage law abiding citizens from buying ammo by making it intrusive.
In good old Missouri no special ID necessary as long as you are over 21 for handgun ammo. A friend of mine just spent over $1,200 at a local Walmart and he did not clean out the shelves. He bought mostly 45, 38, and 223. He also was planning on sharing it with some fellow shooters so please don't accuse him of driving up prices. The salesclerk had to help him load it all in carts and did not even bat an eye. Personally I don't buy ammo at the local Wal-marts because they never seem to have what I want. This was true back in the good old days (last year). as well as now.
I do live about five minutes from Midway USA and check their site frequently. I have been able to stay well supplied using the internet and a few local sources during the last year.

#25 · (Edited)
Interesting that you mention Midway USA. A few days ago, their web site offered Federal America Eagle 9mm at a decent price. When I attempted to buy 1,000 rounds, the first thing that happened was a message, limiting quantity to 4 boxes (200 rounds). OK I thought, what the Hell, I'll accumulate another 200 rounds and keep on looking elsewhere for more. When I tried repeatedly to check-out, it kept rejecting my order.

I sent them an Email, asking why they spend money advertising on "Guns 'n' Ammo TV", in Hand Guns magazine, American Rifleman, etc. if they don't want to sell me any ammo. ... To their credit, they actually responded. In essence they said that New Jersey is a "restricted" state, and before they can sell me any ammo, I must mail or Fax them a copy of my NJ Firearms Purchase Identification Card, which I did. ... However, by the time they answered and said they would keep my ID Card on file and that I could now complete my order for 200 rounds, I had already purchased 2,000 rounds at a different web site, so I didn't bother to complete the transaction with Midway USA. ... I have previously bought thousands of rounds on line from a variety of different dealers. Not one of them asked me for any NJ ID. ... Interesting story, yes?

#26 ·
You can't blame Midway. NJ has made increasingly more and more difficult for it's citizens to enjoy their guarnteed rights. If Midway had an issue with NJ I can bet the prosecutors and attorneys wouldn't turn a blind eye or use common sense. They'd attempt to bury Midway. It's just too much risk for little return.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.