New virus?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by sparky1, Sep 25, 2007.

1. sparky1

sparky1 Guest

Has anyone heard of this new virus, calicivirus? A friend called and his wife works in a vets office and said this was a bad disease. Causes skin lesions, open sores... Can be passed from human to pet by touch. Anyone else heard of this? I did a Goggle search and found nothing like what he described.
    FROM GOGGLE
    Feline calicivirus is a virus that causes mild to serious respiratory illness. Cats become infected by inhaling or swallowing the virus, and signs of illness may develop within
    2-10 days of exposure. Early signs include runny eyes and nose, sneezing, depression and poor appetite. Ulcers may develop on the tongue and hard palate, and most infected cats drool heavily. Illness lasts from 1 to 4 weeks. Though most cats recover, fatalities do occur. Young kittens are most likely to be severely affected. Some cats that recover from the initial disease may continue to shed the virus for weeks or even years.

A vaccine is available for prevention of calicivirus infection.

2. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

I've never heard of it. I hope there is not a canine variety.

3. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

Calici isn't new, but there seems to be a new mutation that toasts cats in a big way. The existing vaccine does not prevent it, but the outbreaks (so far) have been confined to shelters in the north and northeast.

Ask you vet for more information. No one really knows what to expect next out of this virus.