New Video Shows Ahmaud Arberry Chased for 4 Minutes Before Being Shot

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jonesee, May 18, 2020.

1. Dave514

Dave514

Lol, and more grass in the driveway than the yard.

PEC-Memphis likes this.
  2. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

Jump my fence... and this is what’ll you’ll see:

[​IMG]

They get really grumpy when I don’t feed them. And I’ve in the deep, Deep South. Crackheads get in... but they don’t get out.
    :odie:

Chui likes this.

3. Chui

Chui

Nah. It’s not like that. You may very well find prejudice behavior but outright racism is not that common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serve_and_protect likes this.
  4. Otto Pistol

Otto Pistol

Thank you, Recon-pull.

At least one GTer on this thread is a real attorney who knows what he is talking about.

ETA: After reading the subsequent posts, I did not mean to imply all attorneys are infallible, or that all LEOs are edjeets.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  5. Jonesee

Jonesee

The judge has set a hearing date of June 4 for all 3.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Sorry, forgot to use the “tongue in cheek” color; it was the response to the other stereotype/generalisation about every backyard having a pit bull (in the Deep South).

Chui and serve_and_protect like this.
  7. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

None of us are infallible especially when not all the evidence isn’t available to us.

As far as attorneys knowing the law, I had a law professor who told us that police officers have to read Miranda rights on every arrest. She was a US Atty for 5 years.

We told her that the professor next door who is an active judge says it’s only necessary when it a police ignitionated custodial interrogation. The class argued with her but she would not accept it.

In 25 years of law enforcement with more arrests under my belt than most and supervisor more arrests than most, Miranda is not often given unless they are going to be interviewed about their crime while in custody. It’s not that common. Most prisoners are never given Miranda by the police.
    I could go on and on just as someone can about cop screw ups. It happens.

8. PEC-Memphis

I don't know about that; after all of the misinformation in (his*) post #9; as explained in my post #32. He "swung and missed" at the very basic concepts of self defense law.

*Although his name/handle does seem a bit confusing; my comments are based upon assuming that Recon-Pull = Dan Majchrzak.

And while I am not a lawyer, and never claimed to be, I have worked as an expert witness and worked extensively with really, really good lawyers. I have decimated other (so-called) expert witnesses, and I have seen the lawyers I have worked with subtly embarrass lawyers who didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground (among them, at least one a federal prosecutor). There are several LE and lawyers here who disagree with RP/DM.

I don't think, by any stretch of the imagination, that this case (based upon the information filtered/released by the MSM) is clear cut either way. I do believe that politics (like in the Zimmerman and Alverez cases) is a major factor. We've seen many, many politicised cases that, when the (complete, actual) facts were known, resulted in a much different outcome than the "jury of public opinion".

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    serve_and_protect likes this.
  9. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Was that his user name prior to the change? If so, cool. If not, you may want to edit that part of your post. Revealing secret identities is frowned upon by management.

It's why I haven't busted out a certain arrogant lawyer on here....and, why I haven't called out a guy who pretends to be a globe trotting wanderer, but is really a middle aged fantasy novel author, lol.

10. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Of course, assuming that was his screen name - man, Google is fun.

11. PEC-Memphis

Dan M was the screen name earlier, it still appears in the quotes. I don’t know the guy.

12. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

This is my final post on this. It’s only the opinion of a dumb truck driver not an attorney. I however have researched and read quite a bit on self defense law. We all should do this and owe it to ourselves and our families if we are going to carry. I urge everyone to look up and research the five elements that must be met for a use of deadly force to be justified. Read them, know them and understand them.

The simple facts are for certain many lives have been ruined. One person is dead and this father and son are ruined wether convicted or not. It’s just a sad completely unnecessary event. Anyway I am going to try to simplify my opinions. I think the case is really going to come down to the element of reasonableness. Remember that ones actions are going to come under great scrutiny once the taking of a life has happened. A person’s actions while completely legal may be interpreted by someone else or a jury as not reasonable at all. This is key here. While the mcmichaels might have been within the law to be armed and make a citizens arrest were the actions they took going to be determined to be reasonable by a jury? They probably have laws on their side and defense teams will enter all the prior video footage and aberys past record and probably a plethora of other things to point to what they did being reasonable. It is just my opinion that this will fail and their actions will be deemed not reasonable. They saw a man in a dwelling that was open without barriers in place. The guy was wearing a t shirt and shorts having no other items to say put things he might be stealing into. They called 911. Was it then reasonable to arm yourselves and chase down a person on foot in multiple vehicles?? Was it reasonable to at some point cut this persons path off and actually get out and confront him with weapon in plain view?? Remember they could have followed until the police arrived. I think they have huge problems in their actions being interpreted by a jury as reasonable even though they were very likely legal. Just my opinion and I think they are convicted. This is why we have to know and understand the laws of self defense. We can be completely legal in our actions but the point at which a life is taken it becomes rightfully more complicated. Were your actions in a given situation to the given stimulus also reasonable. It’s huge and a jury has the benefit of hindsight. I just hope cases like this remind everyone of the responsibility that carrying a gun is. I personally do have a cpl and carry when I legally can but I actually believe that gun is very likely to ruin my life as well as save it if I ever need to use it.

Andy P, JohnnyE and Jonesee like this.
  13. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Wish I knew how to link a YouTube vid in here. I never realized Andrew Branca did an interview on this case. I am totally eating crow on this one admitting I’m wrong. That man knows more about use of force law than anyone on the planet. If he says an acquittal is coming it probably is. I suggest everyone search Andrew Branca/arbery on YouTube and give it a listen.

Sharkey and serve_and_protect like this.
  14. Sharkey

Sharkey

We have moved on. Floyd is now the poster boy against the racist white folks.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

cbetts1 and OdinIII like this.
  15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Here ya go, but I'm not listening to the whole thing. Finding the time stamps is on you.

16. PEC-Memphis

3-1/2 Hours ! That's quite a long interview !

17. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

I only listened to about the first hour. It is actually really good as he goes into the tryvon martin case quite a bit. I guess to summarize he basically says the case is actually quite simple. The father son did nothing illegal up to the point of the confrontation. In reality it doesn’t even really matter as they never actually made a citizens arrest anyway. Georgia being an open carry state means that the simple possession of the shotgun was not brandishing or a threat in itself. The Mcmichaels would have had to make an actual threat or point the gun arbery in order for him to reasonably fear for his life. Being there is no evidence to support that they had every right to use force when he tried to take the gun away. He said furthermore being that the shots were fired during the struggle it could easily be argued that arbery actually caused the firing of the gun and not Travis. He did go on to say that there is no way to predict what a jury will necessarily do but based on factual evidence that is available they should not have been charged.

cbetts1 likes this.
  18. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

This is way more interesting. Floyd case is pretty obvious. Luckily the court system is slow and hopefully that is settled down before this case ever closes. Can you imagine what would happen if the Mcmichaels were acquitted right now. The world would burn down....lol

19. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I think these three go to court tomorrow.

20. HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Keep in mind, there was 4 minutes of stalking, chasing, menacing, and trapping before Arbery stopped to stand his ground.