New, Vickers Tactical Springfield Armory Master Class 1911.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ZX14R, Jun 13, 2020.

1. texmex

texmex

Tripp Cobra 8 round magazines stick out like that also. It is because they are true 8 round magazines, not 7 round magazines with 8 rounds crammed into them. Maybe you can carry with flush fit magazine in the weapon and have the 8 or 10 round magazines as spares. I have open top magazine pouches (slimline triple) because flaps won't close over the 8 round Cobra mags. On my hand tooled fancy rig that came with flaps on the mag pouch, I use Chip McCormick magazines with concealment (thin) base pads which I bought extra. Next mags I buy will be McCormick RPM 10 round magazines. Those feedlips look like they will hold up even to repeated combat reload with the slide locked back. They have to be tough to withstand the momentum of ten round mags being slammed into the magwell. I am definitely going to give them a try.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I would save my money for a springfield professional... in my opinion.

Toocool45 and faawrenchbndr like this.

3. bac1023

bac1023

So should we support S&W who puts a lawyer lock in every revolver these days?

faawrenchbndr likes this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

I agree.

The Springfield Custom guns are outstanding.

quantico likes this.
  5. Rick James45

Rick James45

I have 4 1911s out of SACS 9mm/45acp, two each. Worth the money IMHO.

I am sure others have had great success with the Wilson mags, but mine did not hold up to continuous use. Sold them off. In 9mm, Dawson mags have been flawless and hold up very well. For 45 ACP, Chip McCormick and never look back.

Seems like this VT offering is an almost custom shop something something with a super long name. Surprised its missing some kind of low profile magwell.

I do not like mags that protrude on a 1911. Especially Springfield's. They need some kind of positive stop on the mag before it hits the ejector. Maybe things have change at SA, but the default ejector is pressed in. An overzealous mag insert can and has dislodged the ejector. I have seen this firsthand. On my guns, SA pinned the ejector.

6. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

quantico likes this.
  7. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yep, that only increases the 'snagginess' effect, plus it just looks weird. Much better for a serious 1911 is the WC DCB mag with the slim/low-profile pad that BW cited.

'Course, 95% of 1911s like this Vickers are nothing but range toyz anyway, so whether it feeds from a funky mag doesn't really matter. It might see, maybe, a 100-rds max on a lazy Sunday afternoon at the club. :whistling:

Then it's back to being a Safe Queen. :upeyes:

8. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

I don't buy guns with locks, I have bought old S&Ws. Gun locks are less impactful than the Illinois legislation IMHO, but could have lead to a new precedent that antis would use against manufacturers. I would have less issue with it if it wasn't done in cooperation with Clinton. So yeah, I would be happy if we forced S&W to stop putting locks on their guns, no one likes them anyway.

ZX14R likes this.
  9. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

:animlol:

Maybe the FNG in the 'Custom Shop' puts the grips on, and they say from 'Custom Shop'.
    Lipsey's video says CS, but Springfield's press release doesn't mention CS at all, so there's
    probably very little, if any involvement from them.

That surprised me as well.

The ejectors are actually glued in place.
    Apparently this particular model, was specified with pinned ejector.

10. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

(Almost), every revolver.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Best I could ever tell, the "Springfield Armory doesn't support the 2nd Amendment" thing was complete bull***t passed around the internet by some ill-informed conspiracy nuts. People objected to a decision by the Illinois Firearms Manufacturers Association on a state dealer-licensing bill and the 2 biggest Illinois firearm manufacturers were Rock River Arms and Springfield Armory, so they got the blame. Both Rock River Arms and Springfield Armory said they opposed the state licensing bill. “Springfield Armory, like Rock River Arms, was not aware of the actions taken by our trade association, IFMA, until after the fact. We take this situation very seriously and are looking into how this very unfortunate lapse in communication occurred.” and “We at Springfield Armory are unequivocally 100 percent against this bill and will continue to work with the NRA and others to ensure that it is defeated.”

12. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

I have made another thread about this issue so that people who wish to discuss it can do so without further derailing this thread. I apologize to the OP for starting that. Here is the thread, I reply directly to you in that thread, Bren.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/springfield-and-rras-actions-in-illinois-final-verdict.1836016/

BACK TO 1911s!

13. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

Thanks 'big', no worries! :D

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Except for that Springfield and RRA directly funded the anti gun Lobyist
    Get your facts straight

Turk3196 likes this.
  15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

What's the source of your information? You tell me to get my facts straight, but you don't give any facts to support your claim.

16. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

I have a Springfield Pro that I got a number of years ago, and not so much because it was a build from the Custom Wing of Springfield, but because the FBI Swat was carrying it and at the time I was carrying a Wilson CQB as a police officer. Wanting to avoid the possible legal argument if used in the line of duty with a Wilson (non department issued gun) figured I was OK if a governmental agency was using it and a lot of other government agencies piggy backed on the FBI. They had put a lot of guns through vigorous testing before opting for the Springfield, so my department was very comfortable with my choice, although no problems from them with the Wilson. Still have it.

17. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

I wonder how it shoots next to a TRP which is in that approximate price range and how it stacks up against the FBI HRT Professional one which is >2x the price.

18. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

That is a nice looking gun. And yes, I agree with some of ya. Not a fan of the rear sight either.

It is tempting, though.

As for Springfield Custom, I had a Custom Shop gun around 2008 or 2009. It was accurate as hell, but they screwed up a few things. I've gone into detail about it before. If anyone wants to know specifics, I can probably cut and paste from my old posts. But, while I would love a Springer Pro, I would never buy a Custom Shop gun without seeing it in person. No blind purchase. I've seen a few other people with complaints about their custom shop too.

True, no place is perfect, and screw ups come out occasionally. But for that kinda $, it shouldn't happen (mine was $3k back in 2008 - which was a chunk of change)

Mine was a specific order, so obviously, that was not possible. But, I was really disappointed in what they did. I sent it back once, and they fixed the issues, but created another one.

I've had two Ed Browns in years past. If I get another 1911, it would probably be a Brown. I had no complaints at all with them.

19. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

I can't remember the price, but got a significant discount as a police officer and pretty rapid delivery. And obviously not a custom as such, just the pro model that they were sending to the FBI. Talked to Dave himself in the custom shop, who was very accommodating. Never had any problems. Fortunately never had to use it in a confrontation.

ShipWreck likes this.