new upper or whole new rifle?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by pal2511, Oct 23, 2010.

1. pal2511

pal2511

I have a bushmaster A3 (removable handle) and standard old school stock.
    ===
    I want to get a rifle with capability of optics and be able to easily add backup iron sights along with a railed grip and collapsable stock

So everything new except barrel and main part of upper.

Should I just spring for a new rifle or pimp this one out? I wouldnt mind having two rifles but Im not trying to go overboard.

thanks

Oh I was looking at spike tactical or M&P rifles

Right now my Bushmaster keeps double feeding but I think it needs to have a good lube and clean done

2. durian00

durian00

The answer really depends on your budget. If you really want to trick it out, it goes beyond just getting the upper. The old school stock may look out of place.

If you have the funds then I say new rifle. Full new Spikes can be had for about 800. M&P entry around that from CDNN. After these basic rifles, you may want to trick them out more so I figure you're looking at 200 to 400 more depending if you want to add a rail, replace the stock, A2 grip, etc.

Good luck.

3. wellcraft

wellcraft

you might as well just buy a whole new rifle when you consider the cost of the rail, upper and collaspable stock.

4. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

Why not start with a new upper, then down the line when you want to spend some more money, buy a new stock for it. Then, a little later get a lower and you've pieced together 2 rifles yet have been shooting basically 2 rifles from the beginning.

This is how I plan on buying my next AR, getting the upper first, then getting the parts to finish it down the line. Because afterall, who wants to buy a stripped lower and not get to use it?!

5. djegators

djegators

Here is what I would do. I would buy a BCM blemished lower w/o a stock. Then I would pick out a BCM upper that is on sale to suit my needs, choose option to add BCG/CH, add a stock that makes sense for the package, add optics and be done. If funds needed to make it complete, sell the Bushmaster. You will have put together a top shelf AR suitable for range, fighting, competition, etc., for under $1000 (not counting optics choices).

6. vafish

vafish

This.

If you have the budget to buy another gun you are probably better off doing that.

The advantage of doing it in parts is that you can spread the cost out.

If you already have a flat top with removable handle you can add optics now.

Then you can go either free float or just replace the hand guards with rails depending upon your needs.

If you end up doing it piece by piece you are going to end up with all your old parts that are almost enough to build another gun. So you'll end up buying a stripped lower and putting them all back on it anyways giving you 2 guns.